getting a credit card?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's about time i got a credit card and started building credit.

i've gotten a few offers in the mail, but most of them require fees of some sort, which i'd rather not pay.

any ideas on a good place to get a credit card? a good card to get?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi Roth,

When you have good credit you get showered with offers. When you have bad credit, you get showered with offers. When you have no credit, you have a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I presume you have a checking or savings account at a bank or credit union. I would recommend you check into it with them. You may get stuck with an annual fee, but that's part of the game. Once you have that first card, you will start getting more legitimate offers, and can switch.

Rule #1. Don't spend it unless you got it in the bank to spend!

Larry

Topper

Flashaholic*
Going to your Bank or Credit Union is a good start, might have to live with an annual fee for a while but as long as you pay the full balance every month then you do not pay any intrest fees. My best card now is a Cabela's Visa I get Cabela "bucks" every time I use it there it a annual 20 fee
but I get it "refunded in Cabela bucks" I use Cabela to buy alot of stuff so it works for me. I just checked my account and I have 130.00 dollars saved up I can use at Cabela's just like real money. When I got my Thor I used my points and got it free I just called and they sent it right out.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i enquired at my bank, but they do not offer a card /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

my credit is good, but there is very little of it established.
i've had a car loan for almost a year now, paying twice the required payments, and a few weeks ago i took out a secured loan to further build credit.

i figure that if i'm going to be making purchases for things (i need new tires, etc etc etc), i might as well put them on the credit card and establish credit with them, paying in full every month.

i was looking at this site here and thinking about the gold one, if it does any better at establishing credit than the others? if not, i might try one of the others, but with what little credit i have who knows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cy

Flashaholic
one of best ways to establish credit is go to your bank and do a secured loan for at lease 24 months.

you put up say $2,000 and borrow $2,000. banks are no dummies and cannot say no to a guarantee deal.

pay the points spread and build up your credit. Go to the most conservative bank in town to do this.

a most reliable way to build up credit

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you a college student? Do you have a co signer? DO you have a store near by like target, walmart or hardware store?

I got a college visa card on my own and used it to pay my spending items like groceries, etc. I then wrote a check to them. I started with 400 dollars and ended up with a few grand. You have to milk it. I got my second one from target and likewise. I then use those to put myself through community college and paid off one, got a little left to go on another.

I tried to get one from my bank, but they wanted a co signer. I think my credit started with I got a pager. I had to prepay for it and had no problems with my bills.

As a side note, I have missed a credit card payment, one for the phone and over drafted my bank account. In all, I have yet to receive universal default or anything other than a late fee for the time I was late paying it and even that i got reduced. I also call in to get lower rates from time to time.