LionHeart the improved with bonus LC chat.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for thinking ahead, charlie..

I got a LH in a trade.. actually soon to be reciprocated finally.. in any event.. it had a kinda yuccky blue and for a LH, what i would have considered definitely not as bright as it should be..

I was in the lab last night fixing my groovy and making LDO drivers and getting a bunch of stars set up for the next two RT4s.. when i decided to pull apart my LH and see what emitter was giving me this blue color i didn't like that much.. I was expecting YA or YO or something.

to my shock.. it was binned 'TWOJ'.. stunning... all my WOs are very white.

well i went through my stock of on-hand stars..

(1) TV1J.. which i really wanted to use because of my recent thread of interest on them... measured only 1600lux in an IMS20 from about a meter. (i think it's a couple cm farther so my measuerments seem to be a bit on the low side on that bench).. that poor emitter has been through a lot though.. it's my 'lab rat'.

(2) TWOJ.. one measured 1950... and looke a 'bit' blue.. the other 1900 and definitely blueish.. also 'lab rats'.. what i've used mostly for two-up testing since i had a pair of them as stars.. much more handy for testing.. just glob them onto a heatsink with some heat paste and go.

(3) UX1K.. didn't bother to measure.. i wouldn't get the current in the K i'll pull with the J, so probably a wash.

(4) UX1L... might light up.. those are what i'm using in the RT4.. balls to the walls bright.. i'm getting at least 25% more light from them with about 5% more power.. of course.. i'm also over driving them, but i discovered i actually get more light at 1100mA than 1300mA.. good thing.. that 20.5W in 4 emitters in a mag head was really hot... now it's down to a much more managable 18W and still pulls over 9000 lux when cold.. over 8000 lux when warm.. if the spec sheets hold out.. the same light with K2s will be TEN watts at the emitters... maybe 12 (farily likely i'll have to slightly over-drive them to get the same output).

(5) TX1H.. didn't have the guts to try that one.. can't imagine what the current level will be.. i would absolutely consider it on the LC though.. but i'd probably want to put a resistor disc on the bottom of the 168tube!.. i recall something about 2A and Hbin in the LC shopt-talk.

So.. since the TV1J didn't make the cut for brightness i opted for the least blue TWOJ that happend to have the highest output..

put it back together.. btw.. love the solution with the rollpin for the ground.. once again.. genius...

I measured the output and pulled a very respectable 2700+ lux on a fresh battery (150A)..

well the highest i measured before was typically about 2200, so i'm quite happy with the swap.. and the color now that it's mounted in the light is white as the driven snow.. just like WO is supposed to be.

update: just thought about the concept of a DD light and popped on the 18650.. and it pulled a 3100 on the lux meter.. now i don't feel quite so bad about those 3500ish readings i've seen from other LHs.. a 'tiny bit' concerned about what an R123 will output in our LCs.. but 'for what it's worth'.. those lights are going to be sooo the bomb... i've put over 1100mA through my LDO driver into a lux3 before.. but when i just measured a sizeable difference in output between the 2000mAH 18650 and the 1200mAH 150A.. it will be interesting to see what the LC will do.. i know it'll blow away the brightness of my groovy which is my favorite EDC now.. and freshly improved with 4-levels .. still just 'twist the head'.

I'm getting pumped for the LCs to arrive.. they'll be my 3rd through 5th MrB light... i would hope that's taken as a pretty good compliment considering in some viewpoints he's 'the competition'.

That actually is one thing i really find great about CPF.. the respect i see between people that make things that could be said to compete against each other.. but that they like each-others stuff and often make direct trades.. that is soo cool.

I've alredy oredred the MC20 reflector from the shop to update my LC on the way.. it'd be a tough call because of the loss of the beautiful flood that the IMS20 has.. but to keep that incredible throw of the LH.. i think it'd be worth it.. I actually ordered 4 more of those to put on one of the RT4s.. if the beamshots are any indication of what is to come.. i could see well over 10,000 lux from a 4 banger in a maglight!... maybe more like 12,000.. that head-to-head between the IMS20 and MC20.. not subtle...

On a light that costs $250 to make.. what is an add'l $40.. i'm making a 'test bench ultimate performer'.. and besides.. the lux readings with the LionHead outbeamed my 20.5W RT4.. that just can't do :-D (yeah yeah.. lumens and all that.. 400+lumens is a hell of a thing, but it's so hard to measure)..

*the* reason my megasonic has 4 emitters: in a head-to-head with a stock 14.4V dewalt light.. my bro's light output more lux.. 1/2 the lumens. but brighter crappier spot of yellow ringy light but bright as hell for 15 minutes light (megasonic at the time would go 6 1/2 hrs).. so.. popped in a 27IMS and a 4th emitter.. output went from 2500 to 4500 lux thankaverrrymuch.. down to 4 1/2 hrs if i turn on the 4th emitter (put in a switch of course).

When george gets his biggerandbadderman (forgot what he's calling it).. 45W driver out the door.. i'll be putting in 3 more TV1Js into that light in IMS20 reflectors.. so.. (3) IMS17s.. (3) IMS20s and (1) IMS27.. it should put the output up just over 10,000 which will leapfrog it over the RT4, but with the V1 color to really kick butt in the woods.

I'm thinking of swapping the TWOJ i just put in the LH with a TV1J if i think i'll use it more outside in the woods but for now.. just plain estatic that charlie designed the light so easy to swap the star.. now i have a different labrat for abusing on the test bench and one sweeet LH.. especially like the boost of light when i put in the 18650..thanks Otok for making those.. looking forward to the special LC version of the same!

-awr

Latest posts