what did you get your old man?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got him a Surefire G2. What did you get pops?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A birdbath. He's all about birds now, and there's some sort of bird that comes around that likes to soak the birdfood before eating it. So we got him a big concrete birdbath for the birds.

Empath

Flashaholic
Having grown up in Oklahoma, perhaps things were viewed differently. Even while growing up, there were a few kids that would refer to their father as "their old man". Every time I'd hear it, it would grate on my nerves as disrespectful. One's father was called Father, Dad, Daddy, Poppa, or whatever traditional family-endorsed term applied.

It may have become more mainstream now, I don't know. Regardless, what you call your parents is your business. What you call my parents is my business. Referring to one's own parents as "old man", or "old lady", might only have a disrespectful sound to others, but referring to another's parent as such, is disrespectful.

Mom and Dad aren't around any longer. About all that's left that I can give is what was the greatest thing I could give them at any time. That's my admiration, love, respect and honor.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
A scanner that takes negatives.
He spent hours scanning in all the pictures he thought he'd never have printed and talking about them... Now, he's talking about a better printer.
Haven't seen him this happy since the day I was off to college /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

newo

Newly Enlightened
First, I would have to re-echo Empath's remarks about the usage of the term "old man". My father, who has been dead for ten years now, would have found that term to have been incredibly, and gratuitously, offensive.

Second, and to answer your question - I happened to be in Washington, DC. I walked into the bar at the Army - Navy Club, and bought a round for the bar, in his honor. I went to the O-Club at Bolling AFB (I'm retired AF), and did the same. Then, I went to the O-Club at Ft. Myer (my father was a retired Army officer), and did the same. Finally, I left the Club at Ft. Myer, and went to Arlington National Cemetary, visted his grave, wished my father a happy Father's Day, and told him how much I missed him.

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Got my Dad a Streamlight Propoly Lux. He owns a campground, so I wanted to get him a good work light to use around the sites. After firing it up for the first time he was blown away by how bright and white it was. He couldn't stop playing with it and was testing out it's throw and showing it off to other campers. All I can say is that we have another luxeon convert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cooked dinner for him and got him the Magnum P.I. second season DVD set. (I kinda wanted to see the Magnum DVD's as well so it worked well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

drizzle

Enlightened
Leatherman Micra.

For the first time in a long time it was an easy choice. He saw mine a month or two ago and showed a lot of interest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He already has a "full size" leatherman which he uses but doesn't like to carry on his belt all the time. This one fits easily in the pocket. That's why it's my EDC multi-tool.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I wish my dad was in a condition where he could actually enjoy a gift from me. He had a bad stroke in '01, and his mind wandered off into... I don't even know where... Although he's alive and somewhat active, it's like he passed away but forgot to take his body with him... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

He was a big tech-geek, a fan of innovation, and I'm sure he would've loved some of the new lights. God, he loved the 4D Mag I gave him years back... Imagine him with an L4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif