Inova X1 Questions...

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I lurk here often, but I this is my first post. This is a great forum. Anyway...

I just purchased an Inova X1 because I wanted a small LED torch with good runtime and some throw. My T2 is built like a tank and has served me very well so I had no qualms about giving Inova more of my money.

I really do like this little light but I have one problem. There is a lot of wobble in the tail cap unless it is screwed all the way down to the constant on postition. It is loose to the point that the light will actually activate if the tail cap is pushed to any side. The tail cap on my T2 has no play what so ever.

I have already seen the light activate with a bump to my desk. I also worry about keeping moisture, dirt, etc out of the light.

For those who have X1s: Is this normal? How loose is the tail cap on your X1? Should this be a warranty issue or am I being too picky?

Thanks much,
Matt

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
While I'm not looking at it now, I don't recall any excess wobbliness in the tail cap. Did your O-ring fall off, or is the cap out of round? It sounds like you may have a warranty issue.

Geoff

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Welcome to CPf, Matthew!

My X1 tailcap has ZERO wobble. Sounds like you got one that's out-of-spec... i.e., a manufacturing defect.

Before you send it back to Inova, you might try wrapping a small piece of "Teflon Tape" (about $2/roll at any hardware stores' plumbing depts.) on the body's threads. That's the standard cure for loose threads... or perhaps a bit of silicone grease. However, too much of anything like this could cause some "juice-flow" problems.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
The o-ring is in place. The cap does not appear to be out of round. It wobbles in every direction which would seem to indicate that it is oversized.

I have emailed Inova and I may go ahead and call them when I get out of work.

Thanks for the reply,
Matt

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I used to work plumbing to get myself through school... you'd think I would have thought of teflon tape. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned 6 x1s so far and haven't had problems like that. Usually you hear about flickering effect from the tailcap switch. It's my fave torch, and well made, so it's interesting to hear your particular issue.

I have even switched tailcaps between them to find the best fit. One would seem to grip the oring a little here and not there.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't think this was normal. I was not able to call Inova this evening but they should have an email from me.

This is probably just a fluke. I will continue to purchase Inova products.

Canuke

Enlightened
Not quite a fluke... mine does that too, both the loose cap and the pres--sideways-to-activate phenomenon.

It didn't bug me in part because this isn't an EDC/utility light for me, and in part because I figured the cap design, not the best one IMO in its original form on the X5T, wasn't too well suited for the different endcap of the AA battery versus the CR123.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
My X1 does the same, actually. The tailcaps on my other Inova lights are much tighter.

I never thought it was a defect, though. Hrm.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ikonomi said:
My X1 does the same, actually. The tailcaps on my other Inova lights are much tighter.

I never thought it was a defect, though. Hrm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys talking about momemtary activation from pressing the metal part of the tailcap? Most lights do that when they are tightened 'just enough'. All of my x1s do that- in fact, the tailswitch is rather useless and pressing on the side often works better. If the tailcap was TOO lose I might get worried...
--------------------
x1 poll

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I haven't heard anything from Inova. Do they typically resond to emails quickly?

I am really enjoying this light! It is a pretty good preformer for it's size. It is a great little light especially indoors where there are plenty of surfaces to create ambient light. My poor T2 has been moved to my laptop bag since this little guy rides so nicely on the belt.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Matt

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do respond, I've heard. They also will replace your light, but I think there is a 5$ fee. Not so great on a 15$ light.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
They do respond, I've heard. They also will replace your light, but I think there is a 5$ fee. Not so great on a 15$ light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Maybe I would just rather buy a second one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Update: I sent another email to Inova gently pointing out that it had been more than a month and I still had not heard from them. I had a reply within 10 minutes saying I could either send them the light and $5 or they could ship me a new tail cap immediately. I opted for the tail cap.

Kudos to Inova for making things right.