Streamlight Jr Luxeon ; concerns

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hello all,

Recently bought a Jr Luxeon from zbattery, nice shipping rates, arrived on time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Very pleased with it, nice fit and finish and quite bright, but I remember seeing a thread before about "Streamlight Luxeon Jr efficiency" or somethin like that, and they said the SJL might be overdriving the LED... Can I expect a good longevity from this light, or is the Jr Lux quickly killing the LED everytime I use it???

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Definitely a solid tool. After using the light for awhile, it gets a bit warm, so it's probably heatsinked pretty good... right?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the time you notice a drop in output from the luxeon, there will be flashlights out 5x as bright for the same price probably... Don't worry about it. Luxeons are tough!

The HS'ing isn't perfect, and actually kinda weak, but it does get hot so it does conduct the heat away, so don't worry about it!

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I Took the dogs out for a long walk tonight and used this flashlight. Very pleased with the output and regulation, but noticed something a bit strange... Sometimes a slight bump to the flashlight will make it go dimmer or turn completely off, while on constant on mode. I shake the light a little bit or re-press the switch and it works fine again. Any other Jr Luxeon owners notice this??

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I did ... it´s happens sometimes. I guess it has something to do with the batteries and their contact. I use Sanyo NimH (2100 mAh and 2500 mAh) and the 2100 are loose and rattle, if the flashlight is shaken. The 2500 Sanyos are fitting nice. The spring in the tailcap switch isn´t the strongest one, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...

A SL Luxeon Jr. is a fine flashlight, especially for its price. Yesterday I´ve updated one of my two Juniors (both with QX1J) with a QY0H and a IMS 17mm reflector ... and now it´s perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the switch. Pull the spring out on the side of the Kroll (which is how it makes ground contact with the body) a little, and/or put a layer of aluminum foil around the threads and reinstall the switch.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hey all, thanks lots for the help! Yeah, it's definitely the switch, the spring doesn't meet the negative pole on the AA, so I think i'll try Owen's suggestion of pulling the spring a little... *crosses fingers and hopes the spring doesn't break off!!!*

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Update : strongly pulled the spring out a little bit, and the switch functions perfectly now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
L.E.D. said:
Sometimes a slight bump to the flashlight will make it go dimmer or turn completely off, while on constant on mode. I shake the light a little bit or re-press the switch and it works fine again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could also be the Kroll switch. I bought 2 for my magAA. After I turn it on, it likes to go dim by itself. Banging on the switch hard but not hard enough to turn the light off restores the brightness. After about 2 weeks of this, the contacts in the switch seem to have "worn in ". The switch works fine now. The chap who got the other Kroll reported no problems.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Okay, that's it, I've HAD IT with this P.O.S. tailswitch!!! The darn thing is messed up!!! The constant-on works two times in a row and fails two times in a row. Maybe there's a four-position gear or something in there and two of the gaps it hits/rests on are out, but whatever, I'm sending it back in, it's caused too much trouble already :S

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Update : Nice Fix.
Rewind ; Sorry for that initial burst of anger
Took the O-ring off the top of the battery compartment of another 2AA light and put it around the end of the clickie tailcap treads. Switch function is restored back to perfect, with better waterproofing at the tail area. :-D Definitely not sending this cool light back, probably couldn't anyways after 'lengthening' the spring (breach of warranty)