Flashlight/Lantern For College Bound Niece

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
My niece will be attending college in New York City this fall. She'll be in a single dorm room. What would you recommend for a dorm lantern and personal light source for her to carry. She would want something that was "fashionable" if possible.

I was thiinking about a rechargeable auto on LED type lantern with perhaps an LED type personal light.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
something chained to her purse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i like 2 lights, anything that will last a few seconds at a time (for hours total) that is small enough for a keychain.
and a light that fits the pocket (purse) that has some good output.
and the bigger light, should have a way to recharge the batteries.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an Eternalight? It'll fit into her purse/handbag easily and would easily double as a lantern if need be, maybe just put a clear plastic cup or paper cup over the top or something? Batteries are easily replacable, and they run for many long hours as well.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Whatever she gets, an "Eternalight" should certainly be one of them, as Stanley mentioned! Loooooooooooooooong runtimes, so many adjustable levels of brightness...aim it at the ceiling to bounce the light and fill the room (great during a power outage)...can't say enough about having at least one of those models!

They've got the Derringer's on sale for a great price as mentioned in "this thread". Oh and they include a really nice little leather case that would be great for her purse, visor, etc.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eternalights are an excellent choice.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/eternalight_ergomarine.htm

I find the Energizer 2-LED lantern (?) to be an excellent bedside light.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/energizerfoldled.htm
Great for reading without disturbing others. The price is right as well. Runs for a VERY long time.

Another possibility for a nightstand light would be the Palight. I prefer the "Onestar" version, because low-beam is perfect for reading in bed or navigating around a dark place without disturbing others.
I remove the focusing lens in mine for a nice smooth flood.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/palight_survival.htm

For a personal light, the CMG Infinity Ultra is tough to beat for the price.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/cmg_infinity_ultra.htm

Even the little Dorcy 1AAA is pretty decent, and inexpensive.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_aaa.htm

Of course...the ARC AAA is the bomb!
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/arc_aaa-p.htm

If she needs a brighter light, this is a highly recommended and affordable light:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_4aaeled.htm

Good luck!

Bob

DaveT

Enlightened
Another fan of the Eternalights. The X-Ray models and Elitemax have the glowing case "find me" light, which is a very nice touch.

PALight is a nice, smaller and simpler possibility for a room light.

If you can find them anymore, the Energizer 2-LED, 4AA folding lanterns are great value, and you could give her a couple of them. I last bought one at an Office Depot, but they were gone the last time I went. They may be completely discontinued and only available at Big Lots now.

For larger lanterns, which should handle lighting a single dorm room pretty well, either the Innovage 12-LED lantern (runs on 4 D cells) from boscovs.com for about $10 is good value, or the Energizer folding fluorescent lantern (also 4 D cells) is about $15 at Office Depot.

For lights for her to carry, I guess that depends on what you think she actually WOULD carry. I had given my wife an Arc AAA, which she kept in the bottom of her purse but never used. Then I put one of KevinL's $1.25 lights on her keychain - that's small enough and unobtrusive enough to always be with her (wife's keychain's kinda huge and she said no way to the Arc on the keychain). You could upgrade it with a brighter LED, or get one that's already turnkeyed with the brighter LED.

Oddly enough, after a trip where we used my Nuwai QIII and the one I made her lug along, she's been fine with having that (in its cheesy little carrying sheath) in her purse, instead of the Arc AAA.

Finally, you might want to keep with the familiar for at least one of the lights in the mix. The MJLED is a great, simple and cheap upgrade to a Minimag (or 2AAA Minimag).

EDIT: Gee Bob, I really wasn't copying off your answer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bmccue1964 said:
My niece will be attending college in New York City this fall. She'll be in a single dorm room. What would you recommend for a dorm lantern and personal light source for her to carry. She would want something that was "fashionable" if possible.

I was thiinking about a rechargeable auto on LED type lantern with perhaps an LED type personal light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mini Mag with MJLED, Oplec or Terralux, Gerber Trio or Tritac, Titanium Streamlight TT for AAs, UK eLED 4aa for small, and a GE Steelbeam lantern. 4 Ds, not rechargable, but great for emergency needs.

The_virus

Enlightened
My thoughts exactly greenLED, which is why I'd suggest a well rounded light that's not too expensive.

Dorcy 2AA 4LED (available in a few colours)
Review here

A modified Maglite is a good idea, since it would have more power and/or runtime, and look like a run-of-the-mill flashlight. Plus the body can be regularly replaced if it's a reversible drop-in, in case it gets damaged.

wmirag

Enlightened
I assume she's not a flashaholic so
I suggest getting her two lights:

1. The new Photon Freedom for her keychain.
It is SO small she will actually have it with her.
And it is very bright on high and runs a fair
time on its various low settings.

2. A CMG/Gerber infinity with a box of AA's.
This will keep her in reasonable light for days if nec.
She can put it in a glass and light the ceiling of
her room. If she wants more light, get her TWO of
them!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Photon II or Freedom for a reliable light that she can "always" have with her.

Princeton Tec Attitude for bedside. The Attitude is available in a translucent green that she might consider "cool," if not exactly fashionable. I would also get her the replacement lamp for the Rage (xenon), which can be swtiched with the LED module for times when she might need a light to have more "reach."

Don't forget to include a set of spare batteries for each light.

Regarding a lantern, I'm a little puzzled, why does she need/want one in her dorm room? Would bouncing the light from the Attitude off the ceiling suffice?

firefly99

Enlightened
G2 w/UCL + P61 - serious light in a small body, not too expensive, if loss
Pelican 1010 case filled with 123 batteries

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom for EDC, cost $15
UK eLED for finding things in dark, cost $20
EverReady Folding Fluorescent Lantern for area lighting (4-d cells) runs for 40 hours on one tube, 20 hrs on two. Cost under $15

clays

Newly Enlightened
Gerber Infinity Ultra ($20) for general use and it will be small enough that it might actually go with her. Photon Freedom or Princeton Tec Eclipse II ($15-$18) for keychain.

Geologist

Enlightened
Another chime in for the Eternalight Elite Series. The X-Ray Elite has been on clearance at theledlight.com for $45.00. It is waterproof, has a magnent (which attaches to many metal surfaces in a dorm room and it will make a great night light. Great light for traveling as well.

Also a reccomendation for the Derringers on sale. I have already ordered 8 at the great price. Women like them because they are small and red, and with one button, they are easy to use.

Last, the Gerber Infinity Ultra (order her the green one) is also a great light! Enough has been said already about it.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make it a keychain light. Its the only thing she won't lose (you ever see women's keychains? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). Nothing else is likely to get used.

Mark