Streamlight or Mag charger

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking of getting either the Streamlight SL20/35
maybe the mag charger.

I also kinda remember there's a simple mod to make the streamlight brighter.

Though I'm leaning towards the one with the LED's

Pro's/Con's......opinions. the good and the bad.
Not interested in a Tigerlight so please leave that out of the mix.

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Hi Madecov,

My next light is either a Tigerlight or Mag charger, can you tell me why are you not interested in Tigerlight?

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
Flashlightreviews.com just did a review on the magcharger. I have two Magchargers and really like them. Flashlightlens.com occasionally carries the Welch Allyn 1160 bulb that fits the MC and takes the lumen output from around 175 to near 500. The spot isn't much brighter, but you get a bigger spot.

A couple of goods for the MC:
There are probably a dozen mods for the MC. I am sure Gensing or Bwaites will be by soon to cover the details on those. One I have is the 4.0 Ah Nimh battery packs that Gensing set up a group buy for. The standart pack is 2.5 Ah NiCd.

The actual body of the MC is apparantly HA III but the bezel ring and tailcap seem to be a softer anodizing. After 10 years of use on my first MC only the tailcap and bezel are dinged up, and those parts are readily available for replacement.

One bad for the MC: slow trickle charger. takes all day for a full charge. The charger is not "smart" and can eventually take a toll on the packs if charged continually. I would still expect to get several years out of a pack. My oldest MC needed a new pack after about 6 years or so.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not interested in the Tigerlight as
1) since I can get the others wholesale $$$$$ make a difference
2)lack of accessories available as well as wholesale spare parts.

any other info ??

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replacement all metal light orange peel (and it is VERY light) refelctors are available from Fivemega for the MagCharger.

The NiMH sticks are floating around CPF and come up for sale from time to time. Ginseng is talking about a group buy from a distributor here in the states and so you might ask him.

The MagCharger is HAIII ano'd and as far as I know, the Streamlights are not. The 1160 WelchAllyn bulb is a direct drop in replacement and produces much more light, while cutting the stock battery runtime to well under an hour.

With the upgraded NiMH stick, runtime remains close to stock, even with the brighter 1160.

If you want to go farther, the MagCharger85 is the next step and the charger itself requires a mild reconfiguration to allow it to charge that pack internally.

The MagCharger charger allows you to slap the MC in at any position and start the charge, the Streamlights much be lined up correctly to match the charging contacts.

The MC outperforms the SL20 out of the box quite handily in light output, and the SL35 in runtime. Running an SL35 lamp assembly in the SL20 tightens up the race, but running an 1160 stiil gives the upper hand to the MagCharger in my opinion.

The SL35 does have less artifact and is a prettier beam in the Sl20 than the 1160 does in the MC, but the MC will outthrow ithe SL35 assembly.

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup,

Bill captured it all pretty well...and saved me some typing as well. Thanks Bill! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, dont forget two other things:

1. MagCharger is focusable, the Streamlights are not.
2. The MagCharger cradle will let you drop the light into in from any rotational orientation whereas the SL will not. I find this to be convenient.
3. Some have worn out the thin rubber cover over the SL switch. The MC switch cover is thicker and easier to replace.
4. The MC just feels more solid in the hand.

Wilkey

Ok, so I typed anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Madecov, if you are going to use this as a duty light, go for the SL w/35X LA and Nimh battstick (3.5-4Ah). You'll be able to run the stock LA for much longer, and the 35X LA for around an hour. The 35X LA is much brighter than both the 20X and stock MC. No contest.

BUT, here is the crucial point: The SL20X w/35X LA is a completely stable, manufacturer authorized mod that will not have any downside or potential damage after many repeated, long duration burns. The MC using an 1160 bulb, even with precautions (unless there's something I'm not up to date on, which is always possible), will quite likely damage the bulb pedestal after repeated heavy use. The MC60 definitely throws farther, with the 35X being a bit more Pila-ish in beam pattern, albeit smoother than the MC60 (the MC with stock reflector will produce a large quantity of artifacts - better mod reflectors can be had for more $$). Also on the duty side, the SL is easier to activate with gloves on than the MC. For CPF maximization purposes, I'd go with the MC. For real-life heavy use, I'd go for the SL. Well-modded MCs are potentially much brighter with more oomph. Depends what you'll use it for. BTW, I like the SL charger. The light slides in and out easily.

Bill, isn't the MC ano type II? I know it says III somewhere, though, but I thought it was known to be II?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaser,

The MC is typeIII anno. The only Mag thus endowed.

My Dads MC has been around a while and looks brand new. Mine is a Wilkey light and looks brand new, though I'm sure Wilkey took good care of it, my teenagers, who use it a lot, don't necessarily.

I still think the MC60 is the best mod out there, including the SL35 mod, but I understand a difference of opinion on that.

Bill

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I think we agree; the MC60 is the better mod in performance, but at the cost of long-term heavy-duty stability.

Xenon

Enlightened
Hope this is not off topic.

Is there anyway I can check the voltage of the MC without
physically removing the batteries inside? I tried using a DMM using the +/- probes on the two charging rings but it doesn't seem to register a reading.

I'm now running the MC with the 1160 and 7 Nimh! it is *sickeningly* bright! And i'm still able to charge it with the stock cradle. I have to ensure the total volatage stays below 8.5v or it will instaflash the 1160. Thats why I have to check the voltage before I turn it on.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 1160 won't tolerate that amount of voltage for long, your probably just getting by.

I'm not sure why you aren't getting a reading off the rings. Maybe Ginseng can tell us. (I'm too tired to think that through!)

The 1160 is a 5 volt bulb, so 6 volts is a 20% overdrive, most small bulbs don't like much more than that, though there are a few that will tolerate more.

Bill

Xenon

Enlightened
The stock MC bulb (6v) instaflash with 7 Nimh's. The 1160 seems to be holding on well even though its 5v rated, as long as it stays below 8.5v threshold. Even if the lamp life is reduced to 20 hours, the amount of light this insanely overdrive 1160 produces is worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't have two MC to compare side by side, but it seems much brighter than the 1185 with 9 cells.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Xenon,

That overdrive is extreme to say the least. But as long as you understand it and can manage the risk, go for it! I wouldn't do that for a duty light but for casual use, sure.

As to why you don't get a reading off the rings, that's because the internal circuit is diode protected. This is so if you accidentally bridge the rings with something conductive, you won't short the circuit. You can confirm this by using the diode setting on your DMM.

I agree with Phase about the SL-35X LA having the value of a company sponsored upgrade.

Note: Welch Allyn recently corrected the life of the WA01160 to around 240 hours down from 550. Your life rerating will go down accordingly.

Wilkey

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops, thought I remembered that, but didn't want to give you bad info. I've been up for 28 hours, so didn't want to trust myself, I guess.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Phaser,

The MC is typeIII anno. The only Mag thus endowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious? Wow, I thought they were all Type II, and that HA3 was the realm of Surefire and their ilk.

I might have to get a MC one of these days just because.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Magcharger is a much sturdier light overall. Thicker metal, more machining, no external plastic, higher quality. Not as easy to replace intricate internal parts, but I'd guess it breaks a lot less. The Streamlights actually have wires and printed circut boards inside. The Mag is custom machined with things like diodes in little spring-loaded cavities.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard an SL-35X LA will drop in an MC if you take the reflector out. Along with all the other upgrades available I'd have to vote for the Mag.