Luxeon5 slug bottom shape has changed to round!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, what the (censored) ??
It's now round and won't work on an Osink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif
These are the new WWOT's I got recently.
Lumileds has done something new to these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
In the pic are the 2 Luxeon5's with a Luxeon3 to the left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

DSC00596teeny.jpg

Bigger detailed pic of this.

Time to recharge the Dremel to make it all work out ok.
Guess I better get Hotlips for these new fangled Luxeon5s from now on instead.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Luxeon5 slug bottom shape has changed!

Wow!

I wonder if the slug is larger? If so, it'll definitely help thermal transfer.

Do you have a side-by-side of the top of the old and new?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

The luxeon3 to the left has the same exact bottom as the older
Luxeon5's as they also used to fit an Osink quite perfectly.
I have done quite a few magmods with Lux3's and 5's of the older design.

The slug is bigger on the new ones by a small, but noticable amount.

I was successfull a little while ago at removing the top mounting lip of the Osinks and basically changed them into Hotlips with a Dremel and then sanded down perfect flat on some sandpaper.
The plastic casing on these new Lux5's are the same exact diameter as the Osink's flattened landings making centering still quite easy.

The tops of the old and the new do appear to be quite identical and,,wait a minute..
The new one is slghtly bigger for real.
Higher dome.
Bigger die.
Bigger slug.

Luxeon6?

Getting the pic won't be easy now that I mounted this on the
heatsink already.
If the emitters were side by side, then It would be easy to tell.

Those who bought the WWOT's from Etendue have these newer ones.
Anyone else with these got a good camera and an older emitter to get some good shots of?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Talk about a pain in the ***!!
I just looked at the LUX V's I received and can confirm the slug change form oval to round!!
Just when I had the Copper O-Sink figured out. (there close) Lumileds his us with this bomb shell.
I have a bunch or "C" cell O-Sinks maybe I can have some re-milled for this emitter. Can somebody please send me the PDF link to the spec sheet. I can have the part adjusted without sacrificing the expensive emitters.
Now we can hope that this slug size is the same as the HEX of the new K2 emitters. Then we can just wait for the copper sinks to be ready. I am ordering material (copper Bar) in the next day or so.
Yaesumofo

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
Hey, what the (censored) ??
It's now round and won't work on an Osink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif
These are the new WWOT's I got recently.
Lumileds has done something new to these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
In the pic are the 2 Luxeon5's with a Luxeon3 to the left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

DSC00596teeny.jpg

Bigger detailed pic of this.

Time to recharge the Dremel to make it all work out ok.
Guess I better get Hotlips for these new fangled Luxeon5s from now on instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

wquiles

Flashaholic

They trew a switcharoo on us when we where not looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Will

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yaesu,

I just looked at the datasheets at the Lumileds website, and only the Luxeon I DS reflects the change to the new round slug. The Lux III and V datsheets still show the "clipped" circle slug. I take it you have samples of each with the new slug design?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a sample of the new LUX V slug, Not Lux III. I am waiting for new datd sheets.
My birdy has given me the information about the change of slugs across the board when i asked him abouth the LUX V's.
It is happening now as the new stuff makes it's way into the supply chain.
Yaesumofo

jtice

Flashaholic

Well, that really throughs a wrench in the works huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Good thing at least the Hot-Lips will still work.
I think Howard (Hotbeam) still has some.

might not be that hard to take a file or dremel to the o-sinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

O_sinks will work fine the changeover to the new slug will not take place overnight. I have a new run of sinks to accommodate the new slugs as well as the hex sink of the K2 emitter. Fear not. Besides I don't think that I am the only person with at least 20 or 30 or so emitters stashed away. These all will work with O-Sinks just fine.
Yaesumofo

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Well, that really throughs a wrench in the works huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Good thing at least the Hot-Lips will still work.
I think Howard (Hotbeam) still has some.

might not be that hard to take a file or dremel to the o-sinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll get some beamshots of these before I ship them in a day, or so to thier customers.

These are both going into sn2 clones.

Actually,
round pits may be a very good idea for a universal fit of most emitters and allow a choice of where to leave the emitter leads in relation to the wire holes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
This may also be easier to mill? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Round pits... Hmmm.... Let's see...

One heatsink design for current LuxIII's, another design for the new K2's and yet another one for the new LuxV. Now, that is for the C size host. For the D size host, you'll have one for current LuxIII's, another size for the new K2's and yet another one for the new LuxV. That's 6 designs in total. Woo hoo!

Now, if you use a LuxIII led in a new LuxV heatsink, self centering goes out the window. If you use a LuxIII led in the new K2 heatsink, there is also no centering.... not that centering is such an issue in the very first place. LOL.

Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

since i have not had time or energy to do my version of a magsink i will toss it out for the machine shop junkies.
all i ask is that if you use it to send me a few.
this will fix the centering and do away with the need for the pocket in the face of the heatsink.
thread the o.d. of the pedestal.
make a cap to thread on to it .
the hole in the cap can have a step in it to center the emitter while retaining it without epoxy.it will apply pressure to the plastic bezel of the lux.the front edge of this cap can be thin enough to not interfere with the beam.
you can change luxeons like you change socks and not destroy them in the process!