Solar Sail Spacecraft missing...

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, reading on Google News. They said they may have been getting some signals from it. If it is it, they still dont know if they can find out where it is. So that could take time. Plus it may not be in the right orbit they intended. We'll see....

Cameron

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Is that the theme from "Gilligan's Island" I hear in the background..."a three hour tour".../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

*Retired*
But the Volna booster rocket failed 83 seconds after its launch from a Russian nuclear submarine in the northern Barents Sea just before midnight Tuesday in Moscow, the Russian space agency said.

Its spokesman, Vyacheslav Davidenko, said that "the booster's failure means that the solar sail vehicle was lost." The Russian Defense Ministry launched a search for debris from the booster and the vehicle, he said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050622/D8ASKEIG0.html

Russian Space Agency: Solar Launch Failed
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050622/D8ASLV4O0.html

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh that just sucks! When I first read this title I thought that perhaps it had gone faster than they though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but that is really sad.

I let my membership in the planetary society lapse when I was between jobs once years ago, I am going to go re-up so they can afford to try again!

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rocket used to be an ICBM; it makes you think about what if they actually used it with a warhead...

[ QUOTE ]
makar said:
I assume darell stole it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah... Darell already has a better one with cupholders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking forward to this too. They had another one they were going to launch from the MIR space station, but it failed too. I recall art bell stating how it could be used as a conventional weapon like a giant magnifer glass when the balloon goes up.