JIL Lite 1.3W...Nice!!!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading a lot here lately about the JIL Lite, but was apprehensive about buying one because I just wasn't crazy about using CR2's. Well, I found it's tiny size to be just too tempting to pass up, so I went out on a limb and decided to buy one. When I received it, I was totally amazed at just HOW small this thing is! The photos you see just don't do it justice...it's not until you get one of these things in your hand that you can fully realize just how tiny it really is. However, any and all resemblance to a "keychain light" stops at size. When you turn the JIL Lite on, it absolutely ROCKS!!! At only about 2 1/4 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter, it's output truly belies it's size! To give an idea of "real life" use, my mailbox is about 200 feet in front of my house, and when it's really dark outside I can clearly see it with the JIL Lite (I live in the country, so there's not much ambient light to speak of...)! For a TRUE keychain sized light, this to me is nothing short of remarkable. The quality of the JIL Lite is nothing short of superb...from the HAIII finish to the smoothness of the threads to the aluminum reflector, this little thing is top-notch quality all the way around. I decided to go with the 1.3W instead of the DD model because I don't own any rechargable CR2's...plus I'm just plain crazy about regulation. I know that for the most part the JIL Lite is "old news" around CPF, but having just gotten my hands on one, I had to sing it's praises a little! You can't truly appreciate one of these tiny lights until you get your hands on one...for the sheer quality alone, IMHO, it's EASILY worth the $$...I'd like to see a review of one on Craig's or Quickbeam's site as well! Quick question: can you use RCR2's in the 1.3W version, or will they fry it?

PJD

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Could you post a link as to where you got it? A google search came up dry for me.

Thanks

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree, The Jil is a GREAT little light.
I had been EDCing a 1.3, but now EDC a DD version.

You can't beat the size, quality, light output of this "tiny powerhouse". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great light indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Dito ... a really really nice light that fits well on a keychain, has a decent runtime and is plenty bright as well as very well built, especially when copnsidering the price
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is my EDC since I got it.

bernie

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:

It is my EDC since I got it.

bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.....You can send me all those other sweet lights you have, since you don't carry them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I also have one of these and love it...I think mine gets insulted if refer to it as a "key chain light". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PJD said:
Quick question: can you use RCR2's in the 1.3W version, or will they fry it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will fry it. Only the Jil DD can take RCR2s and even that it is not recommended by the manufacturer.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Welcome to the Jil fan-club PJD. It is definately an awesome light. I have both the 1.3w and DD versions. I've been spending more time carrying my DD version because of it's even smaller size. Although I don't recommend it, I've been using RCR2's in both my 1.3w and DD units without issues. If you like that brightness now, you wouldn't believe it with an RCR2. Again, I don't know if it's recommended or not, but I'm going to run them that way until they blow, although I don't think that's going to happen.

Although the 1.3w is toughted as regulated, I'd classify it more as semi-regulated. I have graphs posted somewhere that explain what I mean. To me, a regulated light means it flatlines for some period of time during firing. I don't find that to be the case on multiple Jil 1.3w units that I've tested. It's more of a round-curve, indicating that full regulation is not taking place.

Another reason I've been favoring the DD version is the simplicity of the unit. There's really nothing there to break or malfunction either. You have a battery, emitter and a housing to hold it all together. That's it. Worse case, the emitter fries and you replace it with another of your choosing. That super bright light you get from the DD is not present for long at all, but it's sweet while it is. After that, you have many hours of using dimmer light that can handle many tasks.

The Jil series of lights, along with Orb Raw have become my new favorite lights.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't yet commented about this light. I must say it is awesome. Truely awesome! I found the light on CPF through a yahoo search looking for "cr2 luxeon" (I think that was it), because I accidentally bought a lot of 20 cr2's on ebay and didn't have a use for them. The light wasn't immediately available to me, but as soon as I found the sign up thread/prepay thread for the upgraded version about a month later, I got on board. My u-bin raw arrived first, and I actually expected to be disappointed with the Jil 1.3w when it came, but I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely feel affection for this light. So cool.

JanCPF

Enlightened
TIN,

I couldn't find your graphs regarding JIL 1.3 regulation issues. Where should I look for them? Thanks.

Jan

crashlander

Newly Enlightened
I fully agree, the JIL 1.3 is so cool. Since my old Arc AAA stopped working, I didn´t carry a keychain light any more. When the JIL arrived, it went directly on my keychain. I don´t think I will buy another not CR2-driven keychain light, the amount of light this little thing throws out is just amazing.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Although the 1.3w is toughted as regulated, I'd classify it more as semi-regulated. I have graphs posted somewhere that explain what I mean. To me, a regulated light means it flatlines for some period of time during firing. I don't find that to be the case on multiple Jil 1.3w units that I've tested. It's more of a round-curve, indicating that full regulation is not taking place.

[/ QUOTE ]
wierd, mine seem's rock solid for a real long time, then dimms down slow after a loooong time.

It out run's in regulation, my ARC LSH-P, KL-1 4th gen, and beats the arc in brightness easily. great flood and surprizng throw. And this is a first run. I am saving pennies for the new 1.3 (no interest in the DD light,, that will start darker on primaries and nose dive, and don't want to bust the warranty using R-CR2's.)

I really can't believe this light is so good. I EDC a HDS basic 60 every minute of the day. it's my fav light, the best out now imho. It's in a custom fit pelican 1010 case w/two BS primaries, and two BS R123's. I wear it around my neck on a lanyard, or in a pouch hooked on the side of my mini bugout bag(guy purse).
The jil is my second i command. Great tint and beam similar to the HDS, but more floodish, an fits well between the HDS and and peak AAA. The jil usually keep in my music gear case's, or car. And a peak ultra power 1xAAA (lith) 1xLED around my neck with my dog tags. i am not remotely in danger of running out of useable light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The jil Lite 1.3; is a real bargin really, not only for it's size, but true EDC output and runtime. VDG

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also was suprised at how long this little thing seems to go on a CR2 before any "noticable" dimming...and it puts out USEABLE light for a very long time once it starts to dim! I wonder if the manufacturers of the JIL Lite would consider making a 2XCR2 cell version of this light that would run brighter for longer with a down converter!? At only 1 more CR2 cell in length, it would still be amazingly small...I'd have the JIL 1.3W on my keychain and the JIL 2XCR2 in my pocket! What a combo!!! Are you listening eTendue!? Tell 'em we want a 2 cell version as well!

PJD