Work Flashlight Recommendation

mfljr

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for recommendations for a work flashlight. This light will spend most of it's life in a tool box, banging around with pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches etc. I'm looking for a light that is tough, probably has a lens cover to keep the lens from getting smashed, probably has a twist switch so there isn't anything hanging off the light to get knocked off and probably does not have a rubber button on the tail-end to get damaged/ripped off. Obviously I'd like the light to be bright, and have decent run time. I don't really have a preference as to batteries other than rechargeables will probably not work very well in this usage scenario.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silver AA MiniMag with a MiniStar2 should do the trick. I use a plastic LDF lens for a VERY usable beam. Great for inside a toolbox. flashlightreviews.com has a review

Bob_Ulhedd

Newly Enlightened
Uncut High Power White 5mm/25 degree LED from the Sandwich Shoppe. Inexpensive and easy to install in a AA Mini Maglite. Enlarge the hole in the Minimag reflector to one quarter inch, trim the leads to three eighths inch and replace the bulb with this LED. Link here. Also consider the MJLED.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have any beat up M*glites, 3C or D. Drop in a Diamond 3 Watt Luxeon, DB-3W from Led Replacement DB-3W That is what I did with these 2 M*glites. You won't care if they get scratched.

dsc005872sc.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Q-III? The button is recessed enough where it wont sustain any damage or tear off. The lens has a high bezel around it to prevent tools from banging into the lens.

Jeff

greenLED

Flashaholic
Depending on your work environment, your light may need to comply with safety regulations and whatnot. Several of the Pelican lights have those ratings. Recommend.

Otherwise, I cheapo miniMag with some kind of LED drop-in will do. Or maybe a Underwater Kinetics 4AA (UK-4AA). You can find these (and many more) at brightguy.com, after you gather some info on flashlightreviews.com

Deanster

Enlightened
+1 on the Pelicans - lots of different sizes, incan or LED, and the plastic bodies are just tough as nails. They don't even notice scratches, dings, oil or grease, just throw 'em in the dishwasher...

Great lights.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreenLED has a good point about safety certified lights. UK-4AA is good. 20hrs on 4AA regulated but not as bright as the MiniStar2 2AA MiniMag mod with 8hrs runtime. But the Streamlight propolymer Luxeon is really nice for throw and I think it's UL approved. about 4hr runtime on 4AA batteries. Good tough propolymer casing and you can get it in black to hide the dirt but it is a push button on/off at the tail end. So matbe the UK4AA is the better choice. Just mine is not that impressive on the output.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mike-

Welcome to CPF from another newbie. I lurked around here for a while before jumping in. I was amazed and very happy to find out there were a bunch of people like me.

As you can already see, when you ask if anyone here has a recommendation, the answer is always an overwhelming YES!

I am going to suggest one of my new favorite lights-Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon. It would be a great toolbox light. Good size, flat shape (won't roll) a tough polycarbonate lens and a recessed tail clickie. Also water dunkable and resistant to most solvents.

I now prefer an LED worklight, both for the white color of the beam and the durability. I have lost many lamp filaments just by putting a hot recently used light back in the toolbox.

You did not say what you do, but if you work on or around electrical equipment, an all metal light can have drawbacks-I speak from experience.

Here is a link to the light:

http://www.streamlight.com/4aapropoly_lux.htm

Quickbeam's great reviews:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Mark

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Mike! I'd put in my vote for the UKE 4AA eLed as well. Plop in some Lithium AAs and you don't have to worry about it for years, and it'll be ready to use whenever you need it. The body of the light will easily withstand the knocks from your other tools in the box, and the size is just right for a tool/general use light. I'm sure you won't regret the $20+ you spend on this... in fact, I'd like to see you 'leave it' in the tool box, I wouldn't be able to resist playing with it every now and then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Else the UKE 2L is also a nice and compact light as well, runs 2x123 cells, so again Lithium cells for long storage life. By the way, if you get both the UKEs mentioned above, you will also be able to swap around the lamp assemblies, meaning you can use the eLed module in the smaller, more compact UKE 2L and vice versa.

Happy shopping, and i'm surprised no one has warned you yet to keep an eye on your wallet and credit cards!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mfljr

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I just ordered a UK 4aa eLed and am going to give it a try. It looks like a good light and I'll let everyone know how it holds up to the abuse.

Thanks,
Mike

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, mfljr and Flash Gordon, why dontcha stay awhile!

You got some great recommendations, and I think the UKe will please you. Like Stanley sez, tough and right sized!

welcome again,
daloosh

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to second Deanstars recommendation.

-David