The longest time you've been continuously awake?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The longest time you\'ve been continuously awake?

I was up for 33 hours once on the job as an engineer. Toward the end, I started experiencing auditory hallucinations. Since I was tired but not yet psychotic, I just sort of listened and enjoyed the weirdness.

What's the longest you've been continuously awake and did you experience any strange effects?

Wilkey

loalight

Enlightened
Re: The longest time you\'ve been continuously awake?

50-some hours. I was doing lighting for a large party at a hotel, and had to set up my gear at 6AM saturday, and strike at noon on monday. I caught a couple of 30-minute size naps in the interim, but was otherwise awake the whole time.

It was really weird. At a certain point, I became very calm and started to enjoy it... until I had to climb the 30ft ladder! No hallucinations, thankfully.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The longest time you\'ve been continuously awak

I have done a 28 hour uptime in the recent past. I cant recall whats my best though. Perhaps that is my longest, I honestly dont remember. But their were definatly no hallucinations. I am now wanting to try that out, just to see what effects it has on me. Sounds interesting and quite entertaining.

Cameron

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened

A couple weeks ago I was in a real bad "crunch" at work and pushed myself to the limit to get the task at hand completed. Over a 4 day period, I slept a total of 10 hours. The longest single stretch of no sleep was about 36 hours... Yes, there were occasional hallucinations. That's when I knew it was time to crawl under my desk for a quick combat nap. An hours' sleep sometimes works wonders.

Even though the job got done, it took about a week to finally return to a normal sleep pattern.

Waay back in my earlier, foolish, self-destructive youth, I went 3 days without sleep. However, that was with some "assistance."... How we ever survive our youth is still beyond me.

Ordin

djpark

Enlightened

About 40 hours (morning to next day night) a couple of years ago trying to finish a program to deliver. What made it special was that I had only dinners without breakfast and lunch, so 2 sole meals were slightly more than 24 hours apart.

I still drove around without problem, but had quite unbearable back ache towards the end from sitting most of the time.

I drank a lot of water, and hmmmm, I was on a metabolism boost pills at the time to lose some weight.

-- dj

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

79 hrs... WORKING... like a MACHINE! 1/2 hr break (each day) for basic activities... .. had to keep a deadline that a overseas client had given us.... in order to grab a bigger project.... that was some time in 1999 .... december b4 christmas... (it was a 2 months job.. and client wanted to test us for the bigger project)

the deadline was 20th Dec 1999 .... how can i forget it ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

we all (8 guys) did it... and it helpd us to get the bigger project... that lasted for about 10 months just after the new year... i mean after the oversea's vacations were over. .... no we didnt get time to rest after that... till 10 months... we used to work 7 days a week... and up to 14 - 19 hrs each day.... (we had to do a 2 yrs job in 10 months) .. that was need of the client...

well... you might have guessed it... I was a Software Guy (core programming) at that time ...

I have left core programming since then.. and shifted to higher positions...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
What's the longest you've been continuously awake

[/ QUOTE ]

It was quite a while ago (so can't remember exact time), but I worked three to four days straight through.

[ QUOTE ]

and did you experience any strange effects?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I fell asleep and drove off the road on my way home.

-john

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ginseng,

I believe you can be considered psychotic if you are having hallucinations.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

50+ hours. Surprisingly, no adverse effects - I finished up with a huge dinner and hit the sack, woke up the next day feeling great. But that was when I was 18 and invulnerable and I could do anything if I had to. Honestly I'm amazed that nothing happened.

Ask me to do that now and I would go nuts after 24 hours. Heck.. I get cranky after 18.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I am doing 30+ hours on a more or less regular basis (M.D.), and have to admit that after a few years I just won't get through this as easily as it once was. After a certain time I just can't sleep anymore even if I had the time. Weird.
Time to look for a new job ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernie

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

almost 24 hours straight of nothing but watching dvds and eating junk with a few friends on a long weekend... but that was a long time ago.
strange effects? Well, I woke up with dvds sticking on my back, my face covered in drool and later found a note from my sister saying she took pictures and was blackmailing me for $20.

jtice

Flashaholic

Ive had a couple times where I was up for 24 to 30 hours.
No voices or anything, just kinda out of it.

I think what I do now is worse.
I typiclly get 4 to 5 hours a sleep a night during the week.
and if Im lucky 8 to 10 on saturday morning. that makes up for it some,
but man, thursday and friday during work are haaard.

Why do I not get more sleep?
Well, see, we have this really F'ed up system, where we goto work more hours than we have personal time.
Seems all my damn life is work and sleep.

its sad really, that we actually allow ourselves to fill so much of our lives with work.

Seems I get home, take a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif, get something to eat, then I have just a couple hours to get something done.
before I have to sleep only to get up and do the whole damn thing over again. and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, ...... and again.

greenLED

Flashaholic

'bout 34 during a trip half-around the world. Towards the end of it, I became a little "detached", as if I were experiencing the world from behind a window. I drove for a quick errand, but in retrospect, I shouldn't've trusted my reflexes at that stage. I slept for about 14 hours after that and woke up fine. No voices or other hallucinations.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boy, I'm staying inside now that I know you guys are going around this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My record was only around 26-28 hours a few years ago. Followed it up with about 18 hours of sleep.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I worked 37 hours on two back to back shows and was up for about 40.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, being the "self-destructive youth" that I am right now, it's really not unusual for me to go 30 hours without sleep during the summer. School just ended for me yesterday, so I'll be starting my terrible sleep patterns quite soon. But, the longest time I've been without sleep was last summer. I went down to LBI for a week with a few friends and had a week-long party of just doing.......whatever we felt like. I went 3 days without sleep during part of that week. Having tons of snacks and stuff to eat helped I'm sure. All in all I'd say 50-60 hours strait. How long a period I slept after tht I don't even know.....probably 20 or so hours of sleep to recoup.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Longest ever, 58 hours. Back to back to back to back Emergency Room shifts on a crazy holiday weekend.

We were supposed to work 4 get 2 off, never happened.

No hallucinations though.

Wilkey, I'm at 30 plus now and can't head for bed for at least 4 more. (Have to go to a funeral, then go visit my wife in the hospital.) Admittedly, I haven't had this kind of chain of circumstances happen in several years!

P.S. It might be longer, the USL parts just came from Modamag!!

Bill

ledlurker

Enlightened

little over 60 hours during a survival training scenario. It was to cold to sleep and I kept talking to a gnome on rock about issues I can no longer remember.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

70+ hours on more than one occasion at work. I work 30+ hours at least 10-15 times a year. Been doing it for last ten years and it gets harder and harder.

No hallucinations. Hand eye coordination and concentration is imparied.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

51hrs 21min with no sleep of any sort. I know this so exactly because I participated in a sleep-dep experiment in college.

They kept us going with coffee/soda and constant interruptions but no other chemical help.

Every hour or so they would give us tasks to complete (pegs in holes, read a paragraph out loud, reaction tests).

I didn't think I handled it so badly but then they played back video interviews that were taken during the whole period and it was astounding to watch my behavior deteroriate (mean/snappy, clumsy, etc) and I had no idea I was acting so erratically. I guess it is the same with a drunk being unable to judge their own behavior.

Finally they pulled me and put me to bed because my heart actually started beating "funny".