Someone is posing as paypal?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This came from;
Paypal <(censored)@126.com>
If anyone wants the emailer's name I can pm it.

The message:

[ QUOTE ]
Dear valued PayPal® Member

It has come to our attention that your

Congratulations!PayPal®

account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

Please click the link below and enter the needed information on the following page to update your E-Mail address.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension. Please update your records on or before:
Buy from an online auction
Pay on a merchant website
Send money to anyone with an email address

You can also confirm your However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension. Please update your records on or before: email address by logging into your PayPal account at (link omitted)

Click on the "Confirm email" link in the Activate Account box and then enter this confirmation number: (20 digit # censored by 3rd shift)

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reaper

Enlightened
I get something similar every few weeks or so and the funny thing is --- I closed out my PayPal account 2 years ago.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yup, it's Phishing. I get a bunch of these each week. Some addresses are obviously taken from web sites, others from usenet posts.

Never, ever click on any link that appears to come from paypal.

Daniel

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Too bad that most web browsers are all too glad to load obfuscated URLs without decoding them into plaintext... Maybe people would notice those goofy @ signs in the URLs or the IP addresses that are obfuscated if hex- or ASCII-encoded URLs would display in a more human-readable format.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
a real email from paypal begins with dear <firstname> <lastname>
delete anything that doesnt or calls you paypal customer.
if god forbid you use outbreak(outlook)make sure it runs in the restricted sites zone with all destructivex and javascript stuff disabled.
i got one a while back that was 4 pages of javascript junk.
forward any suspicius stuff to [email protected]

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I immediately delete ALL Paypal emails. If you want to know what's up go to your account.

Brightnorm