somedays i dislike my dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
he is the type a guy who never did stuff wrong he is veteren i respect that but he aint to understanding of me i have probelems i always have and he is always on my case about it im grown now i moved out like when i was 15 or so.but somedays he drives me batyy and makes me sad i can never live up to what he wants me to. i have problems just doing simple things people take for granted dr,s have tryied to expalin it to him but he dont understand he just gets so mad at me this day was awefull im me i will never be him id like to be better but im not

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie

What do you mean "better"?

We here think you are great the way you are. You're always kind, insightful, understanding, encouraging and diplomatic. You are a shining example of "better"!

It is really hard when you feel you can't live up to people's expectations, especially your father. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just hope you know how much we appreciate you and value your friendship.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Stan

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hiy bindi thank you for the kind words when i say beter i mean.ill most likely always have mentle illness.meds so far havent helped.i was born this way.i do waht i can to do what i do everydy but.i been on so many meds its seems ill always be a step behind the rest a the world

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Ragzz,

Sometimes...people should take a look at the other person's GOOD points and try to talk them up instead of just pointing out where they are lacking. And on a purely physical level you are half your mother's genes and that is the way it is, you might never be "the same" as your dad because it's just not always possible.

As bindi said above, you have your own attributes and we like and value them very much. Don't change for the sake of "trying to be" like anyone else, just be yourself and do your best within your abilities. And after getting to know you for awhile, it seems you are doing just that.

Simply be at peace with yourself, and take care bud.

Your friend,

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me tell you raggie, a step behind is a relative thing. When I look around at the world today, there is no way I want to be in step with that! You just keep on being the angel of the city that you are and the world will be in your debt. You didn't get that little picture there for nothing! Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. Physical and mental strength may be the most obvious to a casual observer, but there is much more to us than that. You are very strong in areas that most people in this world are very weak. Don't be pulled down by your weaknesses raggie. Everybody has them, even if they are not obvious or they are not willing to reveal them. Yours do not stop you from being a valuable member of society, and especially of our little community here. Believe me, we know! You have been a constant encouragement to many of us here.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,

I don't really know you or your Dad... However, I will suggest that he may understand how hard it is for you to live day to day. He his working to train you for the day when he will no longer be around.

In the end, you will be stronger and be able to take better care of yourself than if he did everything for you. There are lots of rich spoiled kids around here and, believe me, they did not get any favors from their parents that gave them new cars for high school and sent them of to a high priced private school or college. Many of them are lost when it came time to graduate and live on their own.

I can't begin to understand the obstacles that life has put in front of you Raggie--but I do hope that you will overcome each and every one.

Take care,
-Bill

cslinger

Enlightened
Dude, keep the faith and realize that everybody is F'd up in someway or another even if it isn't all that obvious.

Live your life for YOU and you will be happier for it. That being said we'd all appreciate it if living your life for you didn't involve going on a shooting spree, or setting fires or anything but you get the point, I digress. Course now that I think about it there is quite a few people on my need a smack across the forehead list.......ok so one can't completely live for one's self but we can dream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, life is too short and you are dead a long time to sweat the small stuff. Live your life to the fullest of your abilities and do whatever you can to have a little fun along the way.

[ QUOTE ]
he is the type a guy who never did stuff wrong he is veteren

[/ QUOTE ]
Like I said nobody goes through life without their own issues, problems or quirks. Don't ever think that you are the only "weird" one cuz you most certainly are not.

Take care, cheer up always remember the wisdom that comes with knowing when to say WTF and move on.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Raggie, you're in good company... Einstein... Franklin... Edison... Mozart... they were all "different" in ways that might have their fathers upset or disappointed, but look where they wound up. Ultimately what matters is what YOU think of you, Raggie, and if you know how well loved and appreciated you are in the CPF community, you'd think much better of yourself!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your father has some things that he needs to learn about your condition. That's his duty. Your duty is to live your life for YOU, not for anyone else, no matter what he thinks or says.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Samuel

Enlightened
My dad passed on about 14 years ago. I was the oldest but I wasn't his favorite. We often didn't see eye to eye on things. He was on my case quite often too.

Now that I've got kids of my own, I have a better understanding and respect for everything he did and provided. He only wanted what was best for me and to see me put my best foot forward in everything I did.

If I had a choice, I would rather him still be alive and me putting up with the stupid little problems in our relationship.

You don't know what you have until it's gone. Make the most of the time you do have with the people you care about - they won't be around forever!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
tank you for all the advice and kind words everyone.my dad is a good father mostly but not to understanding he always been that way

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry your father's expectations have gotten you down, but try to remember that he wouldn't bother to be on your case if he didn't care. Being a good father is not always about being popular with your children. I think he is trying to be a good father. You can be thankful for that at least.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
It could also be that deep down, your father does understand your problems, but is upset that he can't "fix" them. One of the hardest things for a parent is to see your child burdened with something you are powerless to resolve for them.

I've learned that over the past year myself, just from something as simple as watching my twin little girls when they've got a fever or an ear infection driving them nuts, and the medicine hasn't kicked in yet.

His own frustration at being unable to help you or "make you better" gets turned back around into riding you so hard. It's difficult for most any man to admit utter powerlessnes over anything, especially over something as important as the well being of their own children. It's a survival instinct, even when the odds are overwhelming, most animals, even people will keep trying whatever it is, rather than give up, on the chance they might just get lucky and overcome. When you add that basic fact to the likelyhood that your father is of an older generation, and is a military veteran, that's just a triple-whammy on his inability to cope with your condition by "giving up" and coming to terms with it.

Essentialy, I'm betting his entire attitude is really his own frustration and anger at himself for not being able to make you better.

If he's riding you really hard about being organized, working, your life, or whatever it is, and he's getting really unreasonable, you could try turning around, looking him in the eye, and calmly telling him: "Dad, the way I am just happened, it's nobody's fault, especially yours. I know you've allways done your absolute best for me. "

Be careful though. If your Dad is anything like the kind of man I think he is, seeing him cry even once will probably be about ten times worse than listening to him yell at you for the rest of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.