Confused on 3 nuwai Q-III's

attowatt

Enlightened
Confused on 3 nuwai Q-III\'s

Ok,

Now I am really confused. I purchased qty 4 of these nuwai q-iii's, sold one and kept 3. I installed the panasonic batts in remaining 3 and noticed that 2 appeared to be white w/ a smidgeon of blue. The last one was definately more white with quite a bit of yellow. However, when I opened them, they are all listed as SX1L./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I left them on for sometime and noticed that after about 1 hour , one started to blink approximately: off/3 seconds, then on/2 seconds. The other 2 remained on but were slightly dimmer. this(blinking one) went for about 20 minutes then it stayed on continuously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Other 2 remained constant on, but were getting dimmer. This went for about 1hour 45 minutes and then they all started getting really dim( is this moon mode?).

After they died completely I measured 1.5v, 2.02v, and 2.06 volts.

My questions are these:

1. What is moon mode?

2. How is it that 1 is definately more wht/ylw than the other 2 but have same code?

3. What's with the blinking rate on 1 and then back to steady on rate?( this is the one that measured 1.5 volts.

4. what type of glue can I use to re-seal the head ?, as I will be giving them to nephews after setting up glow powder like this one here.

dsc008413nl.jpg

Any help or ideas is much appreciated, in advance

Jim

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Confused on 3 nuwai Q-III\'s

Regarding the one that blinks, it's highly probable (but not 100% certain) that the LED has failed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'd try to get the flashlight exchanged if I were you.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

L vf. Well those L's are pulling the batteries down quickly. I think that you would be happy with rechargeable 123's (RCR123) in these particular Q-III's, though giving the Q-III's as gifts would be a problem, in that people, often times, do not want to fool around with rechargeable cells. See if you can give the lot back to the seller, and try for three more.

Bill

attowatt

Enlightened

Thanks for the info guys. Would it be ok to change out for different type, ie twoj and then be ok with sf123 batts.

End result is I will use sf123 batts.

Jim

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

X1 is like the generic bin. Twoj should help alot, though the circuit design isn't that efficient in the first place

Vbeez

Enlightened

That glow powder looks neat. Is that plastic/rubber ring with glow powder coat ?

attowatt

Enlightened

How right you are chevrofreak on the color variation. I put new batteries to see which 1 is bad as The_LED_Museum stated to see if it blinks again and the colors are totally different, even between the 2 that are close in color.

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
the circuit design isn't that efficient in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

GarageBoy: Would a Dorcy AA ckt board be more efficient to drive the TWOJ?

Vbeez : I used Darkzero's method. That is glow powder mixed with epoxy on star. I mixed with 90 minute epoxy. There is actually more there on the star lux board but when I put everything back together, the reflector covers what is behind it, so only a small amount is exposed. Look here for more.

Jim

Edited: added top paragraph