Tint on LED's - question

Minimoog

Enlightened
Tint on LED\'s - question

Hi,

Got a question for you here.

What is the best way to determine a tint? When a LED flashlight appears on BST the question is often asked "is it good and white"? I was doing some tests at home and found that when one LED is tried after another, the second one always looks like it has a cast - my eyes are accustomed to the first one's tint I suppose. I tried daylight, but this changes so much in colour temperature during the day that I ended up no further forward. I tried them next to each other and they looked very different when all on together, but the one that looked blue tint looked just fine during the day...

OK, is there a good way of determining the tint in a controlled environment? Comments welcome!

Lastly, I know that green tint is not welcomed by CPF members, but what level of green are we talking about here? Would the slightest tint on a white wall put you off or would it have to be noticeable in use? The reason I ask is that if I sell some lights in the future on BST and am asked about tint, I would like to give an accurate answer (and be able to understand what constitutes a tint when I come to buy a light myself).

Look forward to your input - the more the merrier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

All the best,

Ian, UK

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tint on LED\'s - question

Usually, I find something which I know the color of (or preferably several items I know the colors of, in several different primary shades) and work with that indoors. Usually I do this in a dark room, with a white wall and a light I know the tint of as a control subject. I also use a red stool, a blue plastic box, and a wooden desk to compare shades.

For example, if I know how the blue box and the red stool (both primary colors) look in normal full-spectrum lighting,, then if I use the flashlight in the dark on them and on the white wall, then I know roughly what tint I've got, based on lights whose tints I know and whether the object appears less reddish and more bluish, or vice versa.

For example, I've got two TWOJ lights, and when you compare them side by side, you can see they're pretty much identical. I have an Orb RAW with a UYOJ - when you compare it to the TWOJ, the TYOJ is closer to a HID in its tint and output, with a shade of blue.

As far as 'cat urine green' is concerned, that was more of an issue with the old Luxeon lights, which would often have a noticably green tint - sometimes it was just a shade, other times it was REALLY green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif