It's really getting crowded out by me now.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It\'s really getting crowded out by me now.

The changes in my community are coming fast.

There is a gas station opening 6 miles from my home. A grocery store as crept to within 9 miles away. A small apartment building is going up 5 miles away.

There is only one street light withine a mile but there are now a couple of yardlights.

I gotta move.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: It\'s really getting crowded out by me now.

Jon, are you living in the middle of nowhere? Would love to see a picture of how it looks around where you live.
9 miles to closest grocery store, wow! You must really have to plan your life when everything is so far away. I have 4 grocery stores within 5 minutes walk and the closest is 150 meters away.

Btw, I envy you all the darkness you must have around. No annoying street lights.

Sigbjoern

jtice

Flashaholic

5 miles, 9 miles? HA!!!!!!

*I* live in a small crap town, and there are at least 6 gastations within 9 miles !~!!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live off a strip of road connecting 2 major highways. I can walk to any one of six 24 hour gas stations in 20 minutes from here. I have to drive an hour and a half just to get some darkness, and it's still not that dark. I hate this place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel for ya' JSB!!!...

When we moved here, we were the last house on the paved road, just a two track dirt trail beyond. Two other houses within sight. MAYBE six - eight vehicles a day drove past the house and on up the dirt "road".

A "million dollar view" of our big mountain from the deck or out the big picture windows.

Now there are only two empty lots in the whole subdivision, and there are about 400 cars per hour on average pass by during the day... even at 2AM there are probably 50 cars an hour on week nights, and 100 cars an hour on Saturday nights, and half of them think they are on a race track..

No view any more unless you climb up on the roof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I can't wait to get the heck outta here and go someplace where I can get some peace and quiet. ... and take the trash to the dumpster without nearly getting run over.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course now that the the leftists on the US Supreme Court have, today, decided that the government can "take" private land for other PRIVATE developers, it is a moot point....

The concept of private property, which was the most significant pillar in the founding of this nation, no longer exists in the USA. as of today.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I live in a suburban area. There are a few streetlights on this block, but it's a lot darker at night here than it was in the retail core of downtown Seattle I lived in prior to last autumn.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

thats a small townnn .i lived in cleveland ohio once that a big big place i live in gainesville ga now im not sure how big it is but i have like 4 groceies store with in 5 miles or so a me

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Within 5 minutes' walk are a few hundred tract homes, another apartment complex, a few restaurants, a 24-hour gas station, some office buildings, an inexpensive motel, and a major freeway with some unusually tall light masts (must be more than a dozen high-power high-pressure sodium lights in there).

Within a 5 minute drive are some office complexes, a light rail station, an office tower (>20 stories in medium-density suburbs ... odd), a dozen restaurants, a shopping mall, thousands of tract homes, a working cattle/sheep ranch (in the suburbs .... also odd), a number of strip-malls, and a few car dealerships.

Needless to say, the average flashlight isn't all that impressive compared to the megawatts of power going into HID lighting in my immediate locale. A small price to pay for living it an otherwise decent city with a good jobs market.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

My area used to be real nice(back when my parents were growing up), Santa Cruz used to be this litte town , and the area I live in used to be cow pasture and it got ddaarrrkkk according to my dad. The residents used to hunt deers during the season.

THen the University of California SC moved in, it went to hell after that. Now every hippie and yuppie that ever sets foot in the county line thinks he/she deserves to live here because they took some classes in the School of Slugs...

My dad stilll regrets not buying me a airgun when I was kid, his excuse was always "heck, the pasture and squierrels will always be there, what's a few years gonn matter?

A lot apparently. SO much that all of the people Igrew up with moved away because of the rising costs(our house worthed 1/4 of the worth now 7 years back).

THne every summer all the tourists come to town, render it complete hell.

I wish they can just demolish the damn school and move it where real cities are. It's a shame...