100-150 meters

conejo

Newly Enlightened
I would like to get a led flashlight able to reach at 100-150 meters or more. How many lumens are needed? Any suggestion? Thanks

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of visibility do you want to have at that distance? Where will you be using the light?

Scott

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that you want to have some 0.25 lx at this distance and a somewhat usual beam of 6-10° half angle, you will come to some 100-200lm (guestimated).

edison

Enlightened
This is not an easy question to answer. Long range performance the likes of which you are asking about tend to be much more dependent on the physical size of the flashlight rather than an amount of lumens.

Quite simply, large reflectors throw. A larger reflector catches more of the light produced by the source of illumination and projects it forward better than a small reflector can.

Incandescent lights with a power consumption rate equivalent to their LED counterparts will "throw" farther at this point in history. This is because of the limitations inherent in manufacturing a high powered LED in a cost effective manner while retaining adequate heat sinking ability. Incandescent tungsten filaments are by nature more compact than a LED die capable of producing proportional lumen numbers.

Therefore, the modern incandescent of an equivalent lumen producing capacity will produce a more "focusable" and intense beam when compared to its LED equivalent because the surface area of its light producing mechanism is smaller. The smaller and more concentrated the source of illumination the more easily it can be focused by a reflector or optic. (This statement is only applicable to the optic systems that I have seen on current production lights. Optics are showing great potential in producing intense tight beams of light. I'm curious to see what kind of beam Surefire's new KL3 makes.) Manufacturing tolerances and the labor costs inherent in controlling/improving them are all factors in the equation relevant to the precision used in focusing these light engines. And remember, incandescents are an OLD and highly established technology. This means CHEAP; which high performance LED lights are not.

So, in answer to your question; there really isn't any LED light of practical proportions available for purchase right now that meets your requirements. An Aleph 3 comes closest for a light of convenient size; and a LED modified M@glight will best it but will be much larger and require much more attention.

LED technology is incredible; and it's getting better. However, for raw throwing power the old incandescent filament and HID are king. And HID lights are usually large; if they have any power that is.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

The near future holds promise for advancement of these technologies.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elektrolumens ELX 6 and 3 could do that. A EL Tesla six could probably meet those requiremnts too. My EL Phazer lights objects 100 yards away and it is only a 3x3 wattt with Fraen Tri-Optic. For that matter a Barbolight could do the 100 yard part and then some. The Nuwai TM-801-3 with the 4 C NiMH mod kit can fairly easily light objects farther then 100 yards away. Amondo tech sells it as part of a special even the Nuwai 3x1 what will light up objects 100 yards away with a mod kit in it and 4 NiMH C's in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

frooogleman

Banned
I agree! You can buy two Ledbeams for the price of a modded Mag......and still have lunch money.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, ledbeam is the best thrower for the price. Same throw as a mag mod, a lot cheaper. It will go 100 meters easy.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3watt Diamond Drop in module in a 3D mag, it will do 100 yards.
The original post metioned 100 to 150 meters or more.
You won't get to the "or more" part very well with a 3C or Mag mod. with only one 3watt LED. Maybe the new head McGizmo is working on will do that, if not the "150 meters or more" territory still belongs to the multi- 3 watt LED custom lights. Of course one could buy three of the LedBeam 3C's and strap them together with a spacer block between the handles for less then any of the mods or flashlights I mentioned in my earlier post. That light should to the "150 meter or more" part when needed and then could be taken apart when multiple lights are needed.
For me personally if it is over 100 meters I am more likely to just grab one of my spotlights.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

conejo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies.

I've read flashlightreviews and I think that ledbeam 3C is the better choice for commercial flashlights, and it is really cheap. I think I need see the higher "throw" measures in order to get more meters. (one doubt, I do not understand how it is possible that overall measure can be lower than throw).

I will read more about aleph and elektrolumens options.

Thanks again.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
conejo said:
Thanks for your replies.

(one doubt, I do not understand how it is possible that overall measure can be lower than throw).

I will read more about aleph and elektrolumens options.

Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Diamond 3 watt drop in modules do the same thing.
Diamond Review

An over simplified expanation is that these lights, when focused, are designed to make most of their light go forward in a very tight and bright beam. Their surrounding corona's, while giving useable light, are quite dark in comparison.
These tight bright beams are uniquely suited to giving high lux readings at one meter as that tight beam can be focused right on the light sensor.
Quickbeam's light measurement box reads light at a 90 degree angle to the beam and also the refected light. The idea is to get an over all picture of the light's general illuminating capacity. It makes sense that these lights have higher beam reading then overall readings as they are designed to maximize throw. Think of it like this, these lights are better at lighting up objects 100+ feet away then they are at evenly and brightly lighting rooms using ceiling bounce.

Don't let the high lux readings at one meter fool you either.
My Elektrolumens Tristar Phazer has a lux reading of 3,000 @ 1 meter
My Elektroumens Quad has a lux reading of 4,000 @ 1 meter with Fraen LP's in it.
My Diamond drop in module has has lux reading of 4,700 @ one meter

BOTH my Phazer and Quad will illuminate object 100+ yards away better then my Mag with the Drop in module. The reason for the disparity between the numbers and real world performance is due, at least in part, to the fact that the multi-LED lights are not as efficient at focusing all of their light on a meter sensor 3 feet away.
I hope this helps answer your question.

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
150 Yard beam shots of my neighbors black and white mail box, enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LuxIII Mag TWOJ 1000ma
DSC00097.jpg

Tri-LuxIII Mag TWOJ 1000ma
DSC00098.jpg

LuxV Mag 1000ma
DSC00100.jpg

2D Mag using modamag's 8AA/2D holder with a 6D lamp.
DSC00102.jpg

Mag85 the wire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
DSC00099.jpg

conejo hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Kelly

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sway,

1. Those are great pics.
2. Is that your front yard or a park!

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Latest posts