RAW & QIII?

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

All these threads about the 3W RAW from ORB, is it really brighter than QIII or is it just because it is smaller?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
WAAAAAAAAAAY BRIGHTER! WAAAAAAAY worse battery life.

-david

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you're comparing two different lights:

Stock Q-III LEDs aren't T-binned, like the Orb, and don't drive the LED quite as hard as the voltage isn't as high due to the boost circuit of the Q-III. This is a light run on a 3V CR123 with what is typically a S-binned LuxIII, and thus has decent illumination with medium runtime. The Vf for these tends to vary between K-L bins, which means that they have higher voltage requirements to light up.

The stock Orb, on the other hand, is a direct-drive T-binned Lux III running on 6V (2xCR123) with a resistor. Thus you get a light that is driven very hard, though the illumination level drops off relatively quickly as a result; the more the battery is drained, the less light you get out. However, the J-bin in these lights (IIRC, that's the bin used) means that they can run longer as the voltage requirements are less than for TWOK or TWOL binned LuxIII's.

There's no real way to compare these lights in a fair manner, in the end. You're talking about pitting a 6V-powered direct-drive light against a 3V-powered regulated light with two different bins of LuxIIIs, the Q-III having S-bins at best with higher voltage requirements.

A modded Q-III using a TWOJ LuxIII and direct-driven by 2xCR123 with an extension tube or new body, on the other hand, would probably be a fairer comparison for the Orb.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Conditions: AW's 750 mAH Li-Ion CR123 Protected Cell. QIII Host (for modding), DD Setup, with DD Heat Sink.

I checked S**K Bin's Runtime, Its about 1 Hr 20 Minutes .. Started with 800 mA Current Draw averaged 500 mA and then dropped rapidly till 1Hr 40Minutes

Also, Checked TWOK Bin's Runtime, Its about 1 Hr , Current Draw started to 1 Amp ... but linearly droped to 500 mA by end of hour and then rapid drop till 1 hr 10 minutes...

lumenaria checked with TWOJ & Unprotected Cell, its about 45 - 47 Minutes and then till 8 hours (on a dimmm light..Moon Mode) and yet the voltage remains above 2.7 volts.

Since I do not have RAW - ORB ... What ever I say beyond this point is purely speculation and what ever I have read about the RAW in the thread.

The Runtime of Raw is about 23 - 27 minutes. Its brightness is atleast 20% more as compared with same binned TWOJ Mod QIII

Both QIII & Raw have LOP Reflectors. RAW also has a Glass frontend and the RAW reflector is built by Mc-Gizmo ... so It will have a Better Light Output as compared to QIII even if we put Same Binned Luxeon's. Further more, The Resistance of QIII's Spring limits current flow to certain extent.

Volume of Raw is Less, HeatManagement is good though. (it will be far better with the upcoming Ti-Ag...
Volume of QIII is more, Heat Management is good if using a Copper Heat Sink.

The Important factor in this is that Whole RAW could get HOT .. where as in QIII only the front portion gets hot... and because of this some how i feel that battery runs better (low battery operating temprature)

I Hope I did not take any "sides" to do unjustice to any of the lights.

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
Haesslich, I think that the question is about the Orb's RAW not the Orb's Orb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

The RAW is a Direct Driven, no resistor, 1xRCR2, U-bin (the first hundred)

Edited to correct my correction. Of course is a RCR2, I should know, I have two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened
The Orb Raw as delivered is running a single rechargable CR-2.

I think there is a current "interest" thread for a 123 version.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just woke up and realized that. It's even more of an unfair comparison to compare the RAW and the Q-III, based on the factors Viren has detailed above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now, a CR123 version of the RAW would be a fairer test when compared against DD-driven TWOJ Q-III, assuming the RAW is the current T-binned series is in use.

And in my experience, the 12-minute runtime on RAW is quite accurate, as is the heating problem... though that is alleviated somewhat by the potting that 4sevens does, which merely means the whole light gets hotter faster, but takes that heat away from the LED itself (even if it exposes the battery to said heat).

Latest posts