tomrow is a big day kinda

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well im interviewing a roomate tomorow she will be here at 745 am man im so nervess cause im a very very shy person ,but i need roomate to help with bills .she will only be here 2 weeks per month altogher im not sure if it will be in a row.i imagine my bills will go up but if she runs ac it will be nice for me to.im still scard kinda though i hope it goes well.and she isnt messy . i like to keep my place neat i figure if ya kepp it neat ya dont have to clean it just clean as you go well i think it will be better haveing roomate bills will be easier to pay

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds promising Raggie. A good roommate can be a big help, but a bad one can be a big problem too. I hope you get a good one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just out of curiousity, how did you find this potential roomie?

Peter

raggie33

*the raggedier*
step mom put a add at her hospita;l she works at she know her for 5 years i think.but i sure hope my step mom dont wanna viset a lot lol.her hosptal is close by/

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be very careful about picking your roommate.

In some ways, it will seem that your roommate will have more legal rights and laws concerning about how to live in your house than if that person was your wife.

Make sure that you check references, check credit (sometimes a real estate agent can run a credit check for you), and go with your gut (first impressions) about whether your not you can live with the person.

If the references don't check out, or they have bad credit--run, do not walk, from the deal.

Make sure that you have a "real" rental agreement (for your state/locality). Make sure that there is a very clear statement about "guests" or other live-in roommates (here in California, usually a person can have a guest for 10-14 days, and after that, they have to leave or get put on the lease--after a credit/reference check and approval by you). If you let them stay without that approval, it can get really sticky as bills go up and there is now extra money--the original tenant leaves with you holding the bag with a new tenant that you never got a chance to approve, etc.

Get a first month and security deposit. If they plead poverty, they probably will not be able to make payments a few months down the road either.

Get a good lock for your bedroom (and any other place you keep valuables) and one for their room too. Too many chances for things to disappear or break with unknown people visiting your house.

And, you are not your tenant's friend. Don't lend them money or cut them many breaks (late rent, etc.).

Check the laws in your area. Rent Control? Can you ask somebody to leave with 30 day notice? Do you want a one year rental agreement or month to month?

I know you had a roommate before, and it sounds like you where pretty lucky to find a good one. All of the above stuff will help to protect you in the event you have a bad one.

Be careful. And good luck.
-Bill