What happened to the CR2 ION??

teststrips

Enlightened
I always watch closely for news on this light, but lately there has be absolutely no news/updates, and I never saw anything about the project being canceled.

I actually even have a video of a working unit (that some modder finished), which only makes me want the thing even more.

For those of you who don't know the CR2 ION is a 2 stage cr2 light that is TINY.

I REALLY want a chance to put one on my keyring. Will I ever get that chance?

Are there any other 2 stage cr2 lights that I can get onto my keychain?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from the number of recent PMs I knew it would only be a matter of time before this came up in a thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

The thread where updates were some time ago was locked, and a note put in by me on the last post along the lines that a new thread would be started when something new came up.

I haven't sat idly by - the project has been worked on weekly in some way or another, but I won't be posting anything again until I have all parts in hand and they're ready to go into people's hands. I learned my lesson the hard way the first time when I was given the expectation that everything would be done in six weeks, and obviously, it wasn't.

Other solutions have presented themselves and are being worked towards, and the delays faced are not without good consequences - the wait time absolutely sucks, yes (at least you all haven't been waiting as long as I have! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif), but there are a number of new features and improvements made on the light that I think most everyone here will be happy about when it's done.

The light, as it stands, has about 6 units in existence, which a few people have seen, handled, etc. Until I have some more appreciable quantities of fully working units with everything how I want it to be, it's vaporware. Once it gets past that, presumably soon, you'll be hearing more about it.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but most agree from what they've seen that it will be good when it's done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Enrique

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Endeavour,

Will you be able to stay within your original pricing expectations? I'd just like to know so that I can smuggle a little cash every week into the paypal account. Perhaps a rough guesstimate of how far in the future this might happen? I don't want to miss out on this. I've been logging on just to look for updates on your ION!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xochi,

Yes, same pricing, $100-150. Nope, no estimates. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

teststrips

Enlightened
so there are 6 lights, can i buy one? J/K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sold.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

edit: removed paypal - might get someone excited

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know there was a Texas meet, but I'm going to be in Hawaii for a while, pulling a McGizmo and staying on Maui for a while. As mentioned in the old thread, when something new comes up, I'll let everyone know, hopefully something new will happen soon.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear that this is still being worked on.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I've recently just put a POP2 sandwich in my CR2 Firefly2 and have to say that I am very impressed with the functionality of this little sandwich.. Multi-level light control with additional features such as SOS and strobe. High efficiency as well since it doesn't use a resistor to regulate the voltage of the battery and environmentally friendly since it is made for Rechargable CR2... More info on the POP2 can be found here.

How about considering this sandwich in the CR2 Ion? The slimmer and smaller form factor of this with the features in this sandwich will definitely make this as close to Larry's original Larry Light as I can dream off.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey gregw,

The POP boards really aren't my cup of tea, even if they could be made to fit inside the space constraints of the light. Looking at the pictures of the boards, they seem a little large. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The current intended setup has two stages (albeit not more than those two), plenty high efficiency, and is current regulated, unlike a number of the other smaller CR2 based lights out there.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying about how using a POP board will make this "as close to Larry's original" as possible, since his light just used a special MadMax convertor, made smaller for his canwiches. That aside, the objective never was to clone Larry's original design, though the aesthetics are similar (the bezel was changed, along with a number of other minor dimensional details), the internals are completely different.

As mentioned earlier, during the downtime I've had, there have been a number of changes, which most agree have been for the better. I'll go into more details on those, and everything else when the time is more appropriate to discuss it all - I'd rather not cause you to drool unnecessarily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
endeavour, i agree that a simple regulated two stage is the better choice for this project than something like a POP.

after owning lights with numerous levels and options (like the Arc4), i prefer the ease of use of what you're planning.

83Venture

Enlightened
I'm glad the project is still active, I was starting to get worried that it had died without notice.