Diamond 3W LED Drop-in

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I may be getting a brand new Diamond 3W LED drop-in on trade from a buddy. I think it is the cut version. I want to put it into my 3D Mag. All he wants for it is a Princeton Tec Attitude (I have a few) and some paracord lanyards I made.

What are your general impressions of this drop in, is it a decent trade? Would it benefit much from a LOP reflector? Would I need a borofloat lens?

Thanks,
Matt

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Here is a good review of them:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs.htm

Is the one you will be getting a lambertian or a side emmiter? The Lambertian gives a nice tight beam, the side emmiter gives a sort of goofy beam, but it's still good.

A LOP reflector would give you a much smooter beam, but you sacrifice the beam's throw, you won't be able to illuminate things as far as you would before.

No, you do not need a glass lens, but you can get a UCL from flashlightlens.com. You get scrath resistance and more light passes through the glas lens than the stock plastic lens.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Thanks FMU,

I think it is a side emitter. I will have to check. Maybe I will stick with the stock reflector. A UCL would be a nice upgrade.

Thanks,
Matt

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came upon this thread thinking it was related to a newer product like the 3 watt BOG drop in. I see its for a mag light and was wondering how is it compaired to the 3 w led by BOG? Is it brighter, more than 40 lumens?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I bought one the Diamond DB-3W 3 Watt drop-in for my 3D cell Mag-Light and it is much brighter than my stock bulb to be sure! Accordingly the manufactured spec claims 75 lumens output.

The one I have is bright and white. I did replace the lens with the UCL without the LDF coating on it. There is a noticeable difference from my point of view. I did spray paint the stock reflector with Rust-Oleum Clear High Lustre Coating on to smooth out the beam—and it works!

There is an aluminum replacement Mag-Light reflector for the C & D cell series that has your choice of Heavy(?) Medium and Light Orange Peel supposedly to give a more uniform beam pattern. I think I'll try it out in Medium. . .

DB-3W from LED-Replacement
UCL Lens from Flashlight Lens
Replacement MOP Reflector from Light Edge LLC

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested.... I have one, in fact 3 of those 3 d cell lihts and have put off upgrading them to LED as most led upgrades I have seen are dimmer than regular bulbs. That is til recently.

Anyone else have any experience with this? That would be great to make a 3d cell light brighter than stock and give it longer life with an LED bulb.

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
I have one from Led-Replacement for my Mag 3D and a LOP, it is very white! It can give you a very tight spot that can really throw! Get one, you will not regret it. Also because it is white, it is or at least looks a lot brighter than stock. I also have a 1W for my 2C from Lighthound with MOP, again the throw is as good but less outout, it is now one of my favorites.

Latest posts