Switch Problem on Costco Luxeon

drizzle

Enlightened
One of my 4 Costco Luxeons stopped working after using it only a few times. I checked the tailcap switch with a continuity tester and sure enough that was the problem.

Fortunately, when I disassembled the tailcap I found that the switch itself wasn't bad. I never did find out exactly where the broken connection was, but it worked again after I reassembled it.

The whole disassembly/reassembly was pretty easy. If anyone is *really* interested, I'll do it over again and take macro pictures of the process.

I hope this helps anyone that might have a similar problem.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
drizzle, we never turn down an offer for further instruction - especially with pictures! It'll probably help someone and answer their question before they get a chance to post it! Thanks!

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had that on 2 of my lights. For some reason the metal that it supposed to contact the threads doesn't always do it. I just bent it out a little and it solved the problem.

drizzle

Enlightened
Okay, I cut down the number of pictures and will post the whole thing here. I'll probably still keep the web page around at least for a while but I wanted something independent of my web site. So, here goes...

Remove the tailcap and unscrew the plastic disk that holds the spring in place. This disk is notched on both sides and I'm sure there are tools out there that will work better but I was able to do it with a small screwdriver.
costcolux04.jpg

It is easiest to loosen it using the notches until you can freely turn the spring, then gently turn the spring until the tab lines up with the slot in the disk and remove the spring. Then you can use the screwdriver in the center slot to quickly unscrew the disk the rest of the way.
costcolux06.jpg

After that is out, turn the tailcap over and push the button to push out the switch assembly and rubber cover. It helps if you keep the whole thing straight by keeping a finger on the back side of the switch assembly as you push it out.
costcolux09.jpg

Here is a picture of the back side of the switch assembly almost completely pushed out.
costcolux10.jpg

Here are all the pieces.
costcolux11.jpg

To reassemble, first put the spring tab back through the slot on the plastic disk and turn it so it will stay. Like this.
costcolux14.jpg

Then you will have to use the slots on the outside ring of the plastic disk to screw it back in. It worked best for me to use the screwdriver on one slot for about a quarter turn then switch to the other until it was in. This prevented the plastic disk from cross-threading or binding. Once again a special tool would be a big help here.

It sounds like, based on lasercrazy and chevrofreak's responses that either of the two contacts: spring-to-PCB or PCB-to-threads, could be the culprit. Or it could even be a little corrosion. Anyway, you now can take it apart and try to fix it.

Cheers!