Gladius VS Surefire L6?

SolarFlare

Enlightened
The L6 turns on and off, the Gladius is all singing all dancing! No comparison the Gladius is a far superior light. Brighter, just as much flood, throws further! Thats a comparison of my L6 and Gladius, but I doubt anyone will tell you different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I compared my GLADIUS with a friends L6 as well as my L5 and the GLADIUS is better all around. SolarFlare defined the L6's special features perfectly, it turns on and off. The GLADIUS does just a bit more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif GLADIUS

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Any comparison between a LuxIII and LuxV based light is at the level of a fruit cocktail and the diversity encountered will override any similarities, IMHO.

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I guess that a LuxIII has better throw than a LuxV. Is it because they are easier to focus with a reflector?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Safe bet. I have a Lux 5 with a BB917 in an Aleph 3 head with a Balrog battery carrier.
It is very hard to tell it apart from a standard Aleph 3 w/2 x 123's and a DB917/TWOK. If I suggested the LUX V in the alpeh 3 was a huge disappointment, that would be a gross understatement.

The LUX III emits from a much smaller spot (aobut 1/4 the size) than the Lux V

I doubt it is a focus issue, Don built both heads, the
III is a TWOJ, the Lux V is W bin. The W bin'd Lux V has been a major disappointment. I bought the Lux V head used, and asked Don if it really was a Lux V W bin. He assured me it was and he had built it, but as he pointed out, more lumen's don't always mean more lux..... I've learned my lesson..

wquiles

Flashaholic
mattheww50,

Are you comparing the LuxV/Aleph3 trow-wise to the LuxIII/Aleph3, right? Could it be that the LuxV was not in propper focus with the Aleph 3 head?

I guess I would expect the smaller light source to do better trow-wise, but the amount of light should be much greater from the LuxV, correct?

I have heard from several here at the forums that the Aleph3 with a LuxV will spank the L6 hands down. Do you agree? Have you compared the L6 to your Aleph3/LuxV?

I am going to be building a LE for an Aleph 3 so your feeback/suggestions would be very appretiated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles - the throw is improved with the Aleph 3 head using a LuxV, but how you drive the LuxV will affect the output. For example, a TW4 combo will often provide not all that much more output, if any, compared to a hard-driven LuxIII with the proper reflector.

The LuxV/Aleph3 combo has great range, at least for a LuxV, though the flood is likely to be better with the LuxV as compared to the Gladius... but the Gladius is being driven pretty hard too. But, pound for pound, the LuxIII's throw tends to be better because it's a lot easier to focus that one point-source of light than it is the four-emitter array of the LuxV.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here are comparison shots of all the Aleph reflectors with a LuxIII and LuxV (using the same LE for all reflectors) and shots of some other well-known lights.
All pics are with the same camera settings, so comparisons are legit ... within the LuxII and V pics you get the reflectors as the only variable, but you must know that there's a different amount of power flowing through the LuxIII and LuxV.

rekombiluxIII.jpg

rekombiluxV.jpg

rekombivaria.jpg

bernie

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the key here is the Gladius is a multifunction light and the L6 isn't. That's why I suggested the U2 is a closer match.

-john

wquiles

Flashaholic
Bernie,

I am most thankfull!. Although the pure LUX numbers are higher with the LuxIII, it is clear from your pictures that the LuxV does put out significantly more light and sidespill - I think I will continue my original plans for an LE using a LuxV in the Aleph3 head, most likely with a DB1000.

Thanks,
Will

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Will ... remember heat and runtime with this set-up though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Will,
Unless you bribe me, I am inclined to report you to the abused LuxV hotline! 1000mA to the poor LED! No wonder they call them "portable" ! Such a hot potatoe should not be stationary!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Joking aside, you might want to seriously consider bonding the reflector in the head with a thermal epoxy and jaming the LE against the reflector with some thermal grease in the contact areas.

Since the above is all OT to this thread, I would like to point out, on topic, that a serious comparison between the L6 and Gladius should embrace the color selection in finish available, between the two lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don ... let me refresh our common memory ... who was the man who built a DB917 LuxV LE for me not too long ago? Hm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bernie

P.S.: sorry for the OT

Toecutter

Newly Enlightened
I hate to sound like a jerk, but I'm a little disappointed in the replies to my question...

Perhaps I should have put it differently...

On the highest setting...with no thought or consideration to any of the other features of the Gladius..Strobe, Lower levels etc...

Remember...Highest setting only (Gladius)..Which light is brighter..The L6 or the Gladius ??

Thank You.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Toecutter said:
I hate to sound like a jerk, but I'm a little disappointed in the replies to my question...

On the highest setting...with no thought or consideration to any of the other features of the Gladius..Strobe, Lower levels etc...

Remember...Highest setting only (Gladius)..Which light is brighter..The L6 or the Gladius ??

Thank You.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to qualify that - what do you by brighter? At what distance, and do you mean having a small bright hotspot with a relatively dim corona, or a big bright hotspot? Do you want a 'wall of light' or a tight spot? Brightness varies with many factors.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Toecutter,
I believe the L6 will have a higher flux (more lumens) and am confident that the Gladius will score a higher lux reading. Lux is typically associated with the CPF term "throw" which is a notion of ability to illuminate distant targets with enough light that the return of reflected light can provide information and detail of said target.

By my notion of brightest, I consider the L6 to be brighter. If I wanted to see what was making the noise in the tree a couple houses down, I would grab a Gladius over a L6.

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Toecutter said:

Thank You.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an L5 and a Gladius. The Gladius has a brighter hotspot. The L5 puts out more light. So depending on YOUR definition of "brighter", each one could be brighter than the other.