i wish ya all was here lighting bugs galore

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i read some of ya never saw em before well tonight they are so many here was real neat to see i was trying to see if they would chase my traser on my keychain but they didnt there is so so so so many

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Oooh, I love fireflies! The ultimate EDC light. I'm jealous.

One summer night I took a yellow-green Photon Microlight into the back yard, sat it in the grass and started blinking it in a firefly cadence. Within a minute or so I had an interested firefly sitting next to the Photon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yep photon they are so cool i read they are like 100% eficent light.there pretty bright for there size there are weird looking when ya see em in the light though

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened
Rags,
Whenever I see fire flys, it brings back great memories of our family camping. There was a campground we would visit quite often that would have a ton of them at night. It was neat just to sit back and be entertained by them. They are truely amazing.

CajunBabe

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
And no thermal problems! I read somewhere they release and mix two different kinds of fluids (like snap'n lite glow sticks) inside their body to make the light. What amazes me (and I never did see'em, just read about'em) is that they can turn the light off at will, too. So how do they do that - poop out the mixed liquid? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Naw that couldn't be, 'cause you'd see it, still mixed and lit up as it fell to the ground!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nah keeping camera but i cant figure how to photograph em see its very low light they pruduce in like 1 second burst and a course there moveing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I wonder if a time exposure pic would capture them? My old 35 would do that, but not sure about my newer digital.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think time laspe will make like light trails and a course be blurry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i think time laspe will make like light trails and a course be blurry

[/ QUOTE ]

But Wow, how cool would That look?!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im not sure id gues ya would get mostly the ambianet light around here from moon and street lightys unless i walk to park i may go try to catch one if i get a chance but i may wait till tomorow when it aint to late to go to park again park is behind me but supslsy it closes at night but sometimes i still go out there but not this late on fridays

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Good question, Mr Bulk - I have heard that they mix the two chemicals together at will, and that's where they got the idea (and probably the formula) for the glow sticks.

But I don't know how they turn the glow *off* either. Maybe it's a very tiny dose of a short-lived bioluminescent reaction?

***Edit***
Just read the article from How Stuff Works - great description!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
We don't have firebugs here in Seattle, but yes, they are a type of beetle, and typically fly quite slowly.
They will be attracted to the LED in a yellow Photon Micro Light; it is a sexual thing so you really do "turn them on" by blinking the LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
And no thermal problems! I read somewhere they release and mix two different kinds of fluids (like snap'n lite glow sticks) inside their body to make the light. What amazes me (and I never did see'em, just read about'em) is that they can turn the light off at will, too. So how do they do that - poop out the mixed liquid? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Naw that couldn't be, 'cause you'd see it, still mixed and lit up as it fell to the ground!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be that they merely cover up the glowing part of their body with a wing cover or something, when they signal? I'm not sure, but I don't think they can turn on/off the chemical light that fast.

Jan

EDIT: Hmm, apparently I'm wrong according to HowStuffWorks

verbie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Oooh, I love fireflies! The ultimate EDC light. I'm jealous.

One summer night I took a yellow-green Photon Microlight into the back yard, sat it in the grass and started blinking it in a firefly cadence. Within a minute or so I had an interested firefly sitting next to the Photon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

verbie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
nah keeping camera but i cant figure how to photograph em see its very low light they pruduce in like 1 second burst and a course there moveing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]pity. i would love to see a picture of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i would try my webcam but im on dial up now i can see em off my back porch there so hard to catch cause they turn off the light so fast