Vital Gear F2....NICE!

seattlite

Enlightened
After reading a couple of Vital Gear threads, I decided to order up a Vital Gear F2 from lighthound.com run by fellow CPF'r "jcciv". What made the VG F2 so appealing was that you are able to use SF C/M series lamp assemblies, P60/P61. I was also following the 2xRCR123(2x4.2V) with P90/P91 threads, and thought, the F2 would be darn nice to host the 200 Lumen P91. Also, the F2 is merely a VG FB2 with a "F2" head. So with the F2 head, you can also host C/M lamp assemblies on SF E-series bodies as well as E-Series compatible bodies(Aleph, Balrog, McLux, etc.). Below are pictures of some possibilities:

SF L4 Body/E2E head; "Error" E2L; VG F2(2xRCR123/P91)
vg1.jpg

SF L4 Body/E2E head; "Error" E2L Head/F2 Body(FB2); E2L body, F2 Head(2xRCR123/P91)
vg2.jpg

Richard

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping to get one of those whenever I get some extra cash. Most important features to me are "candle mode" and the clip FACING THE CORRECT DIRECTION!!!

seattlite

Enlightened
I just noticed that the VG F2's head is actually made up of 2 pieces, 4 if you count the bezel ring and domed lens. It seems like VG made up a "E2C" type adapter to get the F2 head to fit on the FB2. I couldn't get an KL5 to fit using the VG "E2C" adapter due to the deep threads in the KL5, but I was able to get the F2 head to fit on a L5 body. Below are more pictures.

FB2; F2 head; P91; VG "E2C" adapter; Dspeck E2C
F2_disassembled.jpg

F2; L5
F2_L5_1.jpg

FB2/Dspeck E2C/KL5; L5 Body/F2 head

F2_L5_2.jpg

jacques

Newly Enlightened
Is the switch on the F2 function well? I know some user have trouble with it.

thanks

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jacques said:
Is the switch on the F2 function well? I know some user have trouble with it.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The older VG bodies with the "tab" springs were problematic. The current VG bodies as well as the F2 contain the new "coil" spring which is much more reliable. I have both flavors in FB1, and I find the newer "coil" spring bodies more reliable.

I'm finding that I like the VG bodies more than SF.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new switch, the only caon is that it sometimes blinks and there is no lockout mode.

-David

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some very good points are made in this thread. Vital Gear has made an E2C adapter which can be used with any of the Vital Gear flashlight bodies. This E2C adapter (and a bezel) allows the use of P60 style drop-ins. This E2C adapter effectively converts the E-series head threads to C-series threads. The old style (leaf spring) tailcaps were adjustable (for length) by bending the leaf tabs. The new style (coil spring) tailcaps automatically adjust for small differences in battery lengths. Some F2's, with their LED heads, are still available. Many prefer to use the Vital Gear E2C adapter on a VG FB 1, 2 or 3 body and the drop-in of their choice. Either way, their compact size, candle mode and silent switches make the Vital Gear bodies a good choice.