S.N.L...I miss the early years...

nightshade

Enlightened
I was watching a pre-1980 episode of Saturday Night Live and I must say I miss the shows early years. The Baba Wawa skit by Radner, the Killer Bees with Belushi. Two wild and crazee guys!! So much talent...Chase, Belushi, Aykroyd, Morris, Curtin, Newman, Radner, Brooks, The Muppets!.... Who am I leaving out?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well he aint as old but he is my faveite chris farley i miss him so much .also david spade and adam sandler but farley is fav

nightshade

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
was_jlh said:
bill murray

[/ QUOTE ]
Good one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Raggie, Sandler's Cajun Man was my favorite....illumina-TION!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i forget that stve guy he also did the wild and crazy guys skit he was so funny in the movie called the jerk .he hates thease cans

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really loved Gilda Radner doing Roseanne Roseannadanna. I used to mimic her character when I was little. I stopped watching SNL after all of the old characters left. Thanks for the memories.

Lisa

nightshade

Enlightened
...forgot about Murphy. "Yes, you too can be a highly paid ho" and...
"Too hot in the hot-tub...." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 90s myself era. No one has topped Chris Farley. They use to have a lot of hot women on that show too at one time.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watch the reruns constantly. I love all of them prior to the last 2-3 years. Even that cast was really good - Will Ferrell, Cheri Oteri, Molly Shannon, Tracy Morgan, Anna Gast???, etc, etc.

Recently, I've watched entire shows without cracking a smile. It's rare that there's an occasional good skit. The musical guests - well, it's not even music. And while I appreciate polical satire - it's now a political agenda.

It's now so bad that Mad TV is a funnier show. I don't see how SNL can survive much longer.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. It sure ain't the same. The whole show had a better, more humorous, fun, atmosphere in the early days.

Life, in general, has lost much of its easy going attitude and ability to laugh at society's foibles. Things are more uptight, tense, and commercially political now.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Chris Kattan (sp?) was a pretty versatile guy. I've always wondered why he left. I always enjoyed his "washed up Las Vegas comedian" skits; those performances did a good job of exploring human emotions such as loneliness and the sense of abandonment in a funny/sad way.

I also enjoyed the earlier years, but as jayflash said, my own tastes have changed as well as others', and I find that I'm not quite as entertained by their sillier skits as I used to be.

My favorite segments still revolve around poilitical and topical satire, including Weekend Update.

drizzle

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
was_jlh said:
bill murray

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Murray was the first "new guy" on SNL. I remember very well when he joined them and did a little tongue-in-cheek monologue about how concerned he was about living up to expectations and how he hoped to be entertaining. I didn't know it then, but it was already vintage Bill Murray. All syrupy sweetness while keeping you guessing if he was laughing at you behind your back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When the original cast left I thought the show was dead. Since then it seems to me it has had its ups and downs and can survive the "laughless" times. Believe me IMHO this is not the first time we've gone through this.

I agree though about the politicization. That is new. In that they seem to be simply following the trend of society. But that's a subject for another thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Darrell Hammond is my favorite current cast member. He is SO good at doing Clinton, Gore, Donald Trump, **** Cheney, Doinald Rumsfeld... the list goes on. My absolute favorite is his Clinton impersonation.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I still get a MAJOR hoot out of the old skits like Bellushi doing Samauri anything! Or Land Shark. Or Killer Bees.

I'm just nowhere near as inclined to watch SNL these days. Cheri Oteri (sp?) gives decent Weekend Update though.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hey the only one i like on the new cast is tina fey hell i love her she is so pretty and funny.