Streamlight Jr Luxeon 3 watt

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know when Streamlight will come out with a Jr Luxeon with a 3 watt led? There has been rumors about this but they still have not released one, anyone know if they ever will?

The_virus

Enlightened
Heat issues? I'd say! I haven't heard this rumour, but that doesn't say anything. Interesting though, since my current EDC is a Jr. Luxeon. I'm skeptical about a 3 watt design however, the runtime for the Jr. Lux is in the 2-3 hour ballpark depending on if you use alkalines or Lithiums. This is pushing it for an EDC's runtime in my opinion. I usually have a single LED backup, but I'd like to know that if I need my primary EDC to light my way home on foot during a blackout or something, that it would make the journey no problem. A 3 watt light would obviously have a shorter runtime, although I must admit the easy battery replacement (2 AA) could compensate for this.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_virus said:
I'm skeptical about a 3 watt design however, the runtime for the Jr. Lux is in the 2-3 hour ballpark depending on if you use alkalines or Lithiums. This is pushing it for an EDC's runtime in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

FLR rates the Jr at 80 minutes on alkalines. That's a huge turnoff for an EDC and is the main reason I passed up the Jr in favor of a T2. I can't see a 3W Jr as being particularly useful unless SL substantially improves the efficiency of the boost circuit. Runtime would be just too short otherwise.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
enLIGHTenment said:
[ QUOTE ]
The_virus said:
I'm skeptical about a 3 watt design however, the runtime for the Jr. Lux is in the 2-3 hour ballpark depending on if you use alkalines or Lithiums. This is pushing it for an EDC's runtime in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

FLR rates the Jr at 80 minutes on alkalines. That's a huge turnoff for an EDC and is the main reason I passed up the Jr in favor of a T2. I can't see a 3W Jr as being particularly useful unless SL substantially improves the efficiency of the boost circuit. Runtime would be just too short otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course if you used NiMH's in your Junior like I it would greatly increase your runtime.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many so-called "3 watt" lights really draw 3 watts? Many of them use the Luxeon III and drive it at 3V x 0.75A = 2.25W or 6V x 0.4A = 2.4W.

I wish there were a law that said that a light can't be called 3 watts unless it's feeding the bulb 3 watts.

Mark2

Enlightened
Depending on the efficiency of the regulator/boost circuit, the draw on the AA cells would be 1.2A-1.5A when running the Luxeon-III at 3W. Alkaline AA batteries perform very poorly under such loads and the resulting runtime would be terrible. Maximum brightness with very short runtime is not what this light is about, thus I don't think that Streamlight will ever offer the Jr. Luxeon with 3W power. This doesn't mean that they won't use Luxeon-IIIs in it, but they won't drive them anywhere near 3W if they do.

lamperich

Enlightened
the description "x Watt LED" isn´t correct und unserious. That´s all you have to say about it.

I would like to have a 2C NiMHs Luxeon3 (or newer)
-a bigger reflektor maybe like the nuwai TM-115X (look at the Throw on qickbeams page and compare it to the ALX-032L NOW u know why this time "bigger is better" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif or
- 2 or 3 Stage. maybe Tailcap level switch and the On Off Switch like the Maglite with momentan position.
- easy to change Luxeon Star not only the Emitter.
- Overdischarge protection( 2x1,2V Rechargebles should not go under 1,9V) but with "moon mode".

i think a 2C size real highcurrent LED Flashlight is good size and will be very popular.

let me explain something.

a LUX3 needs at 700mA 3,8V that´s means. 2,66Watt it´s a bad Vf bin BUT not unusual.
now the little constant current Driver has round about 80 % efficience that means.

we need a input watt of 3,325Watt

when we take a look at Silverfox NiMH Shoot outs. a lot Rechargeabels goes down to 1,15V. ( i know some are higher but I don´t know what happen after 30 Days.)

that means the Current on the Batteries is 1,45Ah @ 2,3V
and if the regulation really does their job @ 80 Efficiens
at U(in) 2,1Volt round about 1,6Ah!!

That´s much and on fresh charges 2AA Sanyos it´s only maybe 70-80 minutes on runtime.

That´s why 2C torch.
by the way a 2C Flashlight is easy to feed it with 2AAs. ;-)

Other new Flashlightconstruction is a Li ionen Rechargabels. they have @ one Cell round about 3,5 Volt)
I also dont know if they are able to hold there Voltages under high loads after 30 days.
But look at the calculation.

we still have 3,325Watt Input need. BUT we have now round about 3,5V U(in). Just look what happen.

in my eyes that´s the future BUT there is a little problem.

li Ionen still aren´t availabled for Home users in standard Sizes like AA or C or D ......

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said, lamperich! You've made a point that few have made, and you've supported it with credible numbers.

I agree: 2C flashlights (torches) have been a long-neglected market. Other than Pelican, M_g, and Streamlight, most makers ignore it. Why? It can be slimmer than a 4AA...and carrying spares means that carrying an extra 2 cells, not an extra 4.

Soon we'll be able to buy the 42 lumen, 1.5W Aurora 2C, which uses the Nichea Jupiter LED. Until then, there are always 3W drop-ins for the Mag 2C--or are there? (The Mag 2C is way too long for me.)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
On a more realistic note...

I showed my >$50 Lambda loaded/Krolled mini, and then the $32.85 Jr. LED to a guy at work. He wants me to get him one next time I go over there!

Spreading the word, a little bit at a time!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
[ QUOTE ]
enLIGHTenment said:
[ QUOTE ]
The_virus said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course if you used NiMH's in your Junior like I it would greatly increase your runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still relatively new to this and had read previously on Flashlight Reviews that you couldnt use anything but standard alkalines in the Jr. I have one and would love to use either lithiums or better still NiMH rechargebles in it. So you can do it? What are the up and downsides with different batteries in the Jr? Thanks for any information.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't think I'd try lithiums. I just tried one NimH and a dummie (which will run an XM3) and no light.

I'm not entirely sure what that means about the circuitry, but I put NimH in mine without worry.

In most Xenon lights, rechargables aren't as bright. But in most LED lights, you can't tell. What a NimH cell will do, is give an unregulated light semi regulation, not always losing voltage like an alkaline.

Significantly longer runtime is very possible!

And even a light like a Jr. LED (or Madmax+) with decent regulation can benefit from NimH. I use them in my EDC and Play Lights. (And my Demo Jr.!)

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
I´m using NiMH rechargeables in my Jr. for a long time, no problem so far and I would definitely recommend it.

I´ve tried some Lithiums (for a short run) and it worked fine, too. My second Jr. is now equipped with Lithiums and lies in my car.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
I dont see why a 3 watt jr luxeon is so impposible. Gerber has a 3 watt flashlight (3.0) which runs on 3AA and there are no heat issues with that light. Streamlight is really only serving a small market with the 1 watt Jr luxeon, Anyone who would want a brighter light would have to buy the Gerber.

Mark2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jaslight said:
Streamlight is really only serving a small market with the 1 watt Jr luxeon ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I heard those "MiniMags" sold pretty well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lamperich

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jaslight said:
I dont see why a 3 watt jr luxeon is so impposible. Gerber has a 3 watt flashlight (3.0) which runs on 3AA and there are no heat issues with that light. Streamlight is really only serving a small market with the 1 watt Jr luxeon, Anyone who would want a brighter light would have to buy the Gerber.

[/ QUOTE ]

@ Jaslight

It´s not imposible.
rantanplan did a Mod to his Xm-3 with a Mr BULK VIP Driver.

It seems that it works.

But i don´t think that a Mainstream Company will release such a high current torch.
The most buyers don´t know what the difference between LR6 or R6 or NiMH really is.
look what happen
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=1051035&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1050805&Search=true&where=&Name=7758&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1051035

And don´t compare flashlights with only round about 2,4Volt with 3,6 input Voltage. :-|
and of course Direct Driven with some with electornic inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

balazer

Enlightened
There is now a 2AA 3-W flashlight, the SmartFire 3W 2AA. It uses a Luxeon clone, and is said to do about 1.5 W. Testing shows that it works quite well with NiMH cells. It sells for $20 at emilionworkshop.com:

http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_68_21_37&products_id=231&osCsid=e1dd27cb6d58df7030a270dc0e265ce1

Threads:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?threads/86016/
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?threads/89871/
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?threads/88597/

I think we'll never see a true 3-W 2xAA light as long as alkaline batteries are popular. Alkalines would have very poor performance in such a light. We can hold out hope for a 2xC or 2xD light that works well with NiMH cells.

Sometimes you get lucky and find an unregulated 3xAA or 3xAAA light that performs very well with NiMH batteries.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in TX, the 5 guys I knew used Luxeon Jr.'s with NiMH AA cells and had no problems. The Jr. gets very hot when used for long periods of time, a LuxIII at 3 watts would destroy itself.

I had the same problem with a R2H Luxeon running at 500mA (1.7 watts) it would get very hot as the minimag is not made to handle the heat. My last remaining BB500 R2H minimag is used as a bicycle helmet light. It works well and runs cool when used for long periods of time in a moving air stream.

The one 2AA light I found that can handle running for long periods of time without getting hot is the Peak Mediterranean with 2AA body. It's LuxeonIII is run at 1.5 watts and the larger head coupled with the long body gives the place for the heat to go. The current regulator keeps it bright when running NiMH. It fits all my minimag holsters and should be compatible with minimag headbands and other gizmos on the market.

The "new" Streamlight Luxeon Jr. has a 4 hour runtime. That sounds like the drive level was dropped so the thing would not overheat and give decent runtime. I applaud Streamlight for using (guessing here) more effecient Luxeons to get the same brightness as the old style but driving it less so heat would not destroy it. My other guess is I think most of the Luxeon Jrs in the world are running on alkalines. For us NiMH users, runtime is less of an issue but not for alkaline users.

In a few years when 100 lumem per watt LEDs are available, I can see blinding 2AA lights being common. The Luxeon Jr. is a very good light although switch failure with extreme use is a stong negative. The XM-3 reviews are mixed and it is too large for minimag type accessories. The Mediterranean with 2AA body works well with NiMH and is indestructable. You have to pay for that level of quality though.

I wonder what would happen if Streamlight used SWAH Luxeon K2 LEDs, redesigned the head so the LED could dump the heat and upgraded the switch. Lithium CR123A powered lights are easier to design than something that will run on 2AA alkalines or NiMH AA. My preference and constant use of lights dictates 2AA so I keep watch.