My fascination with 10mm LEDs

Crow

Newly Enlightened
I love the way these mammoth LEDs produce a very even (in my experience), circular spotlight-style beam. I happened to destroy my one 10mm flashlight while searching for mod possibilities (bigger batteries) and I wonder if any of you guys know of a good brand of flashlight that is small, preferably aluminum and uses a 10mm LED. I intend to replace the LED with a UV one; and yes, they're available in 10mm:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7524118086&category=66951&sspagename=rvi:1:2v_home
The clean circle of light produced by these LEDs seems ideal for UV stuff..

A few other colors...

Here's the only light I've found so far that uses this LED, but it seems silly to pay their $15 for an item clearly worth $5 or so.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Anyone know where to get these lights? Or why they're worthless and I should cease my interest in them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks in advance.
-Crow

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It all depends on which 10mm LED you're using. If it's a standard low-power (<100mW) LED, the 10mm package is fine (just not as space-efficient as 5mm). If it's a "mid-power" LED (~500mW), I'd have some concerns about lifespan since the classic leadframe/epoxy package isn't known for good heat transfer characteristics.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crow, I agree about the beam profile of the low power (20mA) 10mm LED's. I too have some, well I guess every color (ebay mix pac) red,orance,yellow,green,blue,UV white, phosphor pink and RGB flashing.

I NEED A LIFE.

Jeff

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aurora lights (2C, 2AA, 3AAA) come to mind. They use the new Nichea Jupiter LED (size?) and produce a perfect circle of light. They'll start to be available in July here.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some PR2 based bulbs with 10 mm LEDs from
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS&cart_id=4197839.24318
I got some 6V ones a year ago. not very bright narrowish beam. I was using 4AA NiMH so is not providing the full 6 volts. Now retired, replaced with a tectite LPR-113.
I got the new variable voltage one recently. Much brighter, wider beam. I am using it in a 2AA dollarama flashlight. Should fit the 2D models too.

I have an ancut MJLED in a minimag. Without reflector much wider even beam than the 10mm. Putting the reflector back in gives me a nice little hotspot. With alkalines the brightness level of the flood/sidespill is midway between the two 10mms, The hotspot brighter. With lithiums the uncut MJLED blows the 10mm away. Nice whit beam from all 3 LEDs. No angry blue. No ugly purple.

Terralux also makes the TLE-1 spotmiser . Never got one due to the cost. And dissapointing reviews.
http://www.terralux.biz/products/index.htm

Crow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. The aurora light looks great, but the one on that website's link takes cr123s.... I do not like cr123s and avoid them whenever possible. (even at $15 + shipping for 12, that's too pricey)

After much more searching, I found no other advertised keychain-sized 10mm LED flashlights, so I gave in and bought the Fuse light. I feel like I've secured some rare, archaic relic into my collection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll let you all know how modder-friendly this thing is.

Latest posts