Faking China : on Nat Geo Channel

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just watched that Documentary. Any body seen them?

It Dealt with the "Real" Old Pots / Vases and the "Fake" Old Pots / Vases.

The Faking Technology is so advanced i never knew that it involved so much of science and technology. They used X-Ray to fake the IR Luminiscence Test (used to determine age of old pot)

There are so many techiniues that are used. Acid Bath... Tar-Gasoline Bath and Electric "Scrubber" to make the pot look old... they even used Soil from the Real locations to give the typical "Smell"

The Documentary Stated that the "Art" of faking is not new in China, Its there since Ages. They Named a Famous Painter (which i wont name it here) who faked loads of his paintings... some of them are in NY / American Musieum... (the painter was discovered to be fake posthumusly) however, He is also known to have his orignal art... for which he is less known actually.

The Documentary showed how the technology has advanced in detecting the fake and how the Pottery Guys "Perfect" the faking.

It also showed the Highest Price paid for the Pot (which is not fake). US$ 4,877,000 .... At that price... you can have a Mansion in Hollywood Estate or even the famous "90210" Pin code /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Documentary Stated that the "art" of faking dates back to 1000 years in Chinese History. It also showed one of the largest Musiums in world .. the Great China Palace Musieum. They also showed the "Fake-Real" Pottery Market.. trading begins at 4:30AM !!!....

It was a Great & Enlightening Watch..... Worth watching... really...

It takes a Lot of Efforts to fake the things.

now relating/comparing things to the flashlight world

Today, When we See Clones of lots of things including Flashlights... is not new. Remember, It takes a LOT to fake things. Lot of efforts... and when they are offered at a Low Cost... What can Match them???

One Advantage of getting fake things cheap is... If you break it.. you can buy another one.... (this wont be the case with "The Vase" $ 4,877,000 .... Oh..la..la....)

Before watching this documentary, I had different Perspective at Fake Things. Now I look at the Fake things with more respect. I can Understand how much is in going when it comes to fake flashlights too.

Thanks to the Chinese Dealers here on CPF to bring the cheap goods. they are not "Cheap" even if they are fake. If i break one, I can get another...

One one flashlight site (Not Listed in CPF) some time ago... i seen there was a LH lookalike/Fake for rediculous price. It was not from china, but Tiawan. I Laughed and closed the window.. unfortunately i lost the link...but today, if i again find that site, will look in to details...

Note: NO HARD Feelings for ANYONE... ok. Keep this discussion Civil. Comments and Your experiances are welcome. Has any one else watched this Documentary?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i saw something like that once but it was fake stuff like golf clubs they would fake calaway golf clubs or guchi purses many thing many times the experst couldnt even tell the diuferece

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Viren,

Following a path is much easier than discovering and establishing a good one. The true genius in some designs and products is in their simplicity; reduction from complex to simple is often a tedious process wrought with failure and many attempts. There will always be room for imitation and simplifications of originals. There is an art to this as you have suggested.

However, if there are no trail blazers, there will be no paths to follow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif A coppier needs an original to work from.

If I may be so bold, Home Depot and CostCo encourage technologies in a different vein than say NASA or DARPA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif There is a gap between the two which may become difficult to bridge if the proper "support" is not provided by a thinking economy.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Viren,

Following a path is much easier than discovering and establishing a good one. The true genius in some designs and products is in their simplicity; reduction from complex to simple is often a tedious process wrought with failure and many attempts. There will always be room for imitation and simplifications of originals. There is an art to this as you have suggested.

However, if there are no trail blazers, there will be no paths to follow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif A coppier needs an original to work from.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is So True /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .. Its really appriciated that Orignal work is orignal...there is no comparison to it. Also... If there is no orignal... there wont be any copies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If people buy copied drugs. The cure for cancer may never come.

When buying from a copier. You take away from innovators and give to only those who copy. The innovation chain gets shutdown.

People really misunderstand why the patent process even started. People think it is to protect the inventor and it is not. Its to protect the stream of new product innovations. Innovators will not innovate if they cannot survive. So innovators were protected in order to protect the economy....not for themselves alone. This is called a secondary effect. They also limited the time of protection to keep innovators innovating also.

I would encourage people to buy original items.

*Retired*
There are substantial development costs, in time, material, research, trial and error. Additionally, folks with creativity, innovation, and skill cost more than the folks who reverse "engineer".

Through this, new technologies are developed for us to enjoy.

For innovators creating these things in the first place, it is important that they recover their investments.

The Far East copies utterly thwart the whole thing, going for the quick buck, which is very dishonest, being a unhonorable practice.

Some Far East cultures preach honor as being the most important. Yet some of these cultures thrive on being unhonorable in practice.