Wuben        

Thread: Angle Lux w/ Mc38 reflector.

Default Angle Lux w/ Mc38 reflector.

Ok I admit it, I'm always tinkering with stuff trying to make it better. Quite often my ideas outstrip my abilities but this time it worked.

The last Angle Lux I got from Wayne wasn't finished completely. He didn't put all that epoxy in the head to hold the heat sink in and for this project that was a good thing. I was able to see what really is in there and make some improvements for reliability and performance.

Everything pretty much drops out. The sink is a solid disk of aluminum slightly less than a centimeter; guessing, didn't measure. The Lux star is epoxied to the sink with what looks like 5 minute epoxy with something else mixed in. It looked a little grey. Behind the sink is the converter floating free wrapped in tape. The first thing I did was move the light's contacts further out of the way and wrap more thoroughly the converter so it wouldn't short against the contacts. I wanted to shrink tube it but didn't have anything that big, a project for later.

I popped the star off the sink then pulled the emitter and put it directly on the sink with AS epoxy to give it a better heat transfer and give an extra 2-3mm clearence. While it was still tacky I put the Mc38 in the head with tissue paper around it to center it then set it in on top of the emitter to center the emitter to the reflector.

The head is 2 pieces and I had to back off each a bit to get the Mc38 to fit. I've also got a UCL in it so it's thicker than the plastic lens. You can't crank it down because the reflector will short the emitter leads. I've got an idea for that and will work on it later.

I'll be revisiting this eventually because the SV1J emitter that came in it isn't that great and I want to find some big O-rings to put over the exposed threads on the head. I've also got a couple of refinements I'd like to do as well. The main thing is that it fits and works very well. It's also pretty close to being a "drop in" operation if I can do it.

I imagine someone with talent could make this into a real sleeper.

-LT

edit: fixed links to pix
    Last edited by Lunal_Tic; 09-22-2006 at 09:24 AM.

Default Re: Angle Lux w/ Mc38 reflector.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Yep, all ya need is a LuxV and 3x123's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sleeper maximus

Shane

There is a ton of extra space behind the sink so a slightly different shape sink would allow the whole thing to sit back further. To get the heat out for a Lux V I think you'd need to machine the head out of aluminum and integrate the sink with that. Ah, a dream for another day.

-LT

Well, A LuxV doesnt really require too much in the way of thermal conductivity. I had a McLux PR head that handled one just fine. I think if you put enough aluminum behind it that it would be enough. I have one of those Fulton lights but dont have the Reflector of the LuxV to try it. But once finances become a little more stable i might just give it a try.

Shane

Flashaholic

What size UCL did you get in there? Did you have to grind down a 52mm (Mag) size?

Flashlightlens made a few for me. I don't really know what size they are but I do know they make a big difference over the stock lens.

-LT

*Flashaholic*

cooool... stick a modamag 6AA to 2D adapter, fatman or Nflex to support 3watt or 5watt or most any config for 2D mag.

wonder if 3x so17 would fit into space?

Flashaholic

Is the plastic body sufficient to heatsink a LuxV or a 3xIII setup? I haven't seen how beefy the Anglelux heatsink is, but I would think it might become a concern.

I'll have some more pictures in a while. I've been tinkering a bit. The heatsink is nothing special, just a centimeter or so slug of aluminum that fits into the round opening at the elbow of the light.

I've cut off part of the circle and it will fit further back now but I've not resoldered the leads. Cutting off the chunk of aluminum with a Dremel tool really heated it up and where the slug touched the plastic of the light it melted. It wasn't bad and I don't know what the temperature was but heat could be a problem with the multi or even the 5W setup.

-LT

Here are some more pix.

I cut the center copper tab down to almost flush with the clip and bent the top copper piece so it was easier to solder. Then I just put it all back together. I did have to keep a gasket made out of electrical tape on the bottom of the reflector to keep it from grounding out.

Now I only need one o-ring to cover up the head threads.

-LT

Unenlightened

That is a beautiful mod. But where did you get the MC38 reflector. I have looked under every rock, and everywhere else I could think of, except my wife's underwhere drawer. That's cause she keeps her handgun in there, and I know there are no flashlight reflectors or so much as a battery in there.

Thanks,

Dan Kays
    dmkays@comcast.net.

Thanks for the compliment. The Mc38 is a McGizmo product. Here is a thread about all of his reflectors. You should be able to get them directly from him or from The Sandwich Shoppe.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Good luck,
    -LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk