Tell me how you carry your Gladius

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you ladies carry your Gladius (if at all)?

I'd prefer something like an open top, drop-in nylon belt holster, but can't really find one suitable for this light. I just ordered a Gladius holster to try (a little costy when $8 shipping is thrown in, but thats life), and may cut off the top flap to turn it into a drop-in type holster. A Surefire 9P holster might work, but there is no way to know without getting my hands on one.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to EDC this light from time to time. Back pocket carry works for a short duration, but its not optimal.

best regards

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Gladius but you might look at the Blackhawk nylon holster for the Surefire M3. It is open top black nylon design with a plastic ring holding open the top. There is elastic near the bottom to secure the bezel. It has a velcro belt holder.

This holster is a little too tight for the M3 that it was designed to carry. It works pretty well with C2/Strion size bezels--maybe a bit loose. I am thinking it would be perfect for the Gladius.

moeman

Enlightened
i found this, but have not ordered it:
holster
ladies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
guess this question isn't for me, so nevermind... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
powernoodle,

Blackhawk made a holster specifically for the Gladius. However over in the UK the reception has been quite muted due to problems removing the Gladius from the holster. The holster has a reinforcement plastic wire which keeps the mouth of the holster open. In practice though, this caused a snagging problem when trying to remove the Gladius from the holster quickly. Once Ken Good and BHI were made aware they withdrew the holster from sale over here until a solution is found.

I made the decision to alter my pouch by removing the wire insert and it works ok now. BTW the pouch flap can be removed if desired as it's only held on by Velcro.

Doug

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blackhawk holster works real well if you modify it by removing the plastic wire. I got one when I purchased my Gladiius from order-gear. I asked about the problem and was told I could wait for the new holster or remove the plastic wire and chose the latter. I like the top to the holster, but the light is probably held secure enough to remove it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

cy

Flashaholic
sadly I don't, Gladius has sitting in it's black case...

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that the bezel is the same dimensions as the "other" guys
Any bezel down configured carry should work with the gladius if it works with a

6p/G2/G2Z etc.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a Blade Tech model for a G2 (bezel down with tek-Lok) on duty for a few weeks, and it's been fine.

I did heat it up and remold it, slightly, more for personal preference.

--dan

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Madecov

Yes the Gladius will fit bezel down in the 'other' guys plastic holster but it is a really tight fit and it will mark and remove the ceramic coating on the Gladius really quickly. That is the reason I dont use that combo.

I'm glad that mbtkndad has had the same good results I have with the BHI Gladius pouch!

Doug

bagman

Enlightened
I'm carrying my Gladius in a Bianchi baton holder (16" & 21" model) at the moment, it acts like a V70 type holster but you can push the torch right down in the holder to the switch for very secure carry.

It is a very tight fit but if you twist as you take it out it works fine.

I've got a blackhawk cross draw baton holster on the way that is supposed to work very well.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cancelled my order for the Gladius holster that is sold at the night-ops website. After ordering, the receipt indicated that the holster would be available in August. Nice of them not to tell me that at the time of order.

Just ordered a Blade-tech holster for the Gladius. I have probably a dozen blade-tech gun holsters and think they are about as good as it gets. Also ordered an IWB holster for a Kahr P9 too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

best regards

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I think the thing to remember about the Gladius pouch from BHI is that it is actually rather good. The materials and workmanship are up to the high standards one expects from Blackhawk and the design is ok once the plastic reinforcement to the neck is removed.

I wonder why it was put there as most pouches dont usually use this type of arrangement. I've not found ANY problems with the pouch once the plastic wire is removed and the pouch performs perfectly. IMO I actually think using a nylon pouch with a ceramic coated Gladius will be better than a hard plastic hoslter due to accelerated wear on the finish of the light.

I usually carry a SF E2e in a Kydex rig on my duty belt but that's not a problem as the E2e is HA111. I personally would prefer a plastic holster for my Gladius but wont due to the aforementioned problems.

Doug

bagman

Enlightened
The cross draw baton holder was waiting for me at work on monday and it works really well. The velcro strap pulls tight at the bottom of the bezel and keeps it nice and secure until you release it.

I'm left handed and although the pouch is set up for righties it works really well on the left hand side of my duty belt behind my rigid cuffs. I can reach it sat down in the car with a little bit of a wiggle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
When I first received the Black Hawk holster designated for the Gladius I went crazy trying to figure out a way to make it work. Then I read here to just take out the stiff piece of plastic tubing from the top - and now it works perfectly! I also agree that nylon is much more user friendly to the ceramic coating on the Gladius - a harder sheath WILL wear away the coating!

Doug

Free

Enlightened
How did you remove the tubing, did you cut it out? I haven't had too much trouble with the Night-Ops holster, except with the issue of accidently leaving the light on. It is really easy to activate the light and not know it. I am thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom of the holster so it would be easier to see when it is on.

bagman

Enlightened
Free - I've done that and at least I know the thermal cut out works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I now leave the Gladius in momentary mode in the sheath while at work.

To remove the plastic wire just make a very small cut at one edge in the stitched over lip of the sheath where the wire is and with a bit of manipulation the end will pop out of the hole and can be puled out with needle nose pliers. Takes a minute or 2 only.

Xygen

Enlightened
Pics of the original Blackhawk pouch for the Gladius:
DSC05028k.JPG

DSC05029k.JPG

DSC05032k.JPG

DSC05033k.JPG

DSC05034k.JPG

DSC05029k.JPG

DSC05035k.JPG

DSC05039k.JPG

DSC05040k.JPG