NiMH in peak AAA 3led?

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering how NiMH AAA batteries would work in a peak matterhorn AAA 3led hi power light. Is it possible to damage the batteries by running the light for too long without recharging the batteries? Would it cause any damage to the LED's or the circuit? I am planning to use the light for EDC and would probably keep the battery topped off, but if I remember right NiMH does not have a memory like NiCad, but I am not certain. If anyone has used this combo or has any insight I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Dan

paulr

Flashaholic
Nothing seriously bad will happen. There's no possibility of reverse charging in a 1-cell light. The light will be slightly dimmer than with a brand new alkaline cell because of the NiMH's lower voltage, but the difference will be quite hard to notice. However, the alkaline cell as it wears down will provide a much longer slowly dimming "tail".

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
that means when the NiMH is about dead, you won't get much of a moon mode. It will just go dim at one point very fast.

But at the same time it will probably hold it's brightness at a set level for longer instead of gradually dimming over it's use.. I think it won't drop out super dark either, as I've used some AAA NiMH and even when "dead" they still provide decent juice.

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. I also asked peak what they reccomend and they said any aaa batteries should be fine in the light.

Dan