Boys and Their Toys -- interviews wanted for book

BillPilot

Newly Enlightened
I'm writing a new book, which I think would be of interest to flashlight owners -- and I'm looking for people to interview. The book is called, "Boys and Their Toys: Understanding Men by Understanding Their Relationships with Their Gadgets." I figure that many of us who spend quality time with our flashlights are in touch with our inner geek. (Some more than others -- and we know who we are. <g>)

Boys and Their Toys explains how men behave in terms of the toys they like. For instance, that expensive car represents a need for independence; same for a GPS -- with a global positioning system in his car or pocket a man does not have to depend on anyone else for directions. Fancy cars, as well as expensive stereos, are ego-boosters -- something else that's an integral component to men's psyche. Men believe that certain gadgets such as multi-function watches, powerful flashlights, and high-tech car interiors, lure women in. (That may or may not be true, right?)

Here are some questions. These questions are actually written for women, but they can be flipped, and I'm looking for answers from men, too.

* Why does your spouse, boyfriend, significant other like his flashlight(s)?

* Does he use flashlights as a substitute for any part of your relationship? In other words, do you feel that he pays more attention to his toys than to you -- and why?

* How would your guy be if you took away certain gadgets, such as his flashlights? Would he be okay or hell on earth?

* How does he behave when he's away from his computer, email and Internet? Or goes out at night without his flashlights?

* Does he need a new toy every so often? (And for men: How long do you wait to buy the newest light?)

* Do you feel that his interest in gadgets --well, there's no delicate way to put this-- helps your relationship by enabling him to expend energy and interest in toys, rather than in other women?

* Do his toys help him retain his boyhood? That is, do you think that his love of gadgets has something to do with his need to stay a boy at heart?

* Do you see his interest in certain toys --alarms, personal protectors, security devices, knifes, for example-- as an extension of his nurturing, protective side? Or are these "security" devices saying, "My castle is fortified. I dare you to attack!"

* Do his toys help with his mid-life crisis (or whatever)?

Don't feel like you have to answer all of these questions, or even any of them. I'm interested in knowing how women see men and their relationship with gadgets in general, as well. I'm also interested in knowing how men and women relate to their own gadgets -- does technology help form a bond between the sexes? Feel free to go beyond these questions.

I can be reached at [email protected]. Or if you have more to say than can be accomplished in an email, call me at +1 202-986-9275.

--Bill Adler
www.adlerrobin.com

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: Boys and Their Toys -- interviews wanted for b

Good luck with your project.

I dodn't think I'll tell my wife about this thread. She may start thinking too hard about it.

Seriously, I just like new and unique things. Nothing deep or insightful. I just like items that do things in a clever way.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BillPilot said:
For instance, that expensive car represents a need for independence; same for a GPS -- with a global positioning system in his car or pocket a man does not have to depend on anyone else for directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah-ha! Now we know the REAL reason why GPS was invented! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
Re: Boys and Their Toys -- interviews wanted for b

[ QUOTE ]
BillPilot said:
Boys and Their Toys explains how men behave in terms of the toys they like. For instance, that expensive car represents a need for independence; same for a GPS -- with a global positioning system in his car or pocket a man does not have to depend on anyone else for directions. Fancy cars, as well as expensive stereos, are ego-boosters -- something else that's an integral component to men's psyche. Men believe that certain gadgets such as multi-function watches, powerful flashlights, and high-tech car interiors, lure women in. (That may or may not be true, right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

or ... and I know this sounds really crazy ... it could just be an appreciation for a finely crafted product of another person's talents. I'm no artist, but I buy paintings and other "hand-made" products because viewing or using them gives me a certain pleasure or satisfaction - more than a print or something mass produced. I buy CDs and DVDs in order to appreciate an artist's music or acting skills. I've never heard anyone claim this satisfied my need for independence or is an ego booster. Am I being a bit defensive? Probably. But I think you are making a generalization based on a common, and perhaps not entirely un-earned stereotype. It is possible to buy a car only because it looks nice and is fun to drive (hey, I drive a mini, not a whole lot of macho in that car!) Its possible to buy a GPS only so that you don't get lost on a hike and can keep track of how far you walked. I buy custom flashlights because ... well, because I like them. They have a quality to them that I can't find at Wal-Mart, Target, or Sears. Do I like them to be bright? Duh! Its a flashlight!

BillPilot

Newly Enlightened
Re: Boys and Their Toys -- interviews wanted

Many thanks for the replies. One of the things I'm trying to do with Boys and Their Toys is explain to women (who comprise the main market for this book) why we like our gadgets so much.

But here's a broad question: Why flashlights? Why is it that we're here on CPF? We have to admit, flashlights are a somewhat specialized toy, er, tool. How would explain to your significant other what is it about flashlights that makes you feel good?

--Bill
www.adlerrobin.com

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
BillPilot said:
But here's a broad question: Why flashlights? Why is it that we're here on CPF? We have to admit, flashlights are a somewhat specialized toy, er, tool. How would explain to your significant other what is it about flashlights that makes you feel good?

--Bill
www.adlerrobin.com

[/ QUOTE ]

It's occurred to me that it's kinda the same thing with computers, which have become the new "hot rods." I see guys at computer shows bragging about their souped-up machines, speaking lovingly of CPU cycles, cooling towers, overclocking, how much RAM, etc, in the same way that they talk about fuel injection, gear ratios and horsepower.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
How would explain to your significant other what is it about flashlights that makes you feel good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't explain it. She collects yarn for her crochet hobby, and has about 200 cubic feet of yarn stored in the shed. I only have 4 linear feet of flash lights.

The flashlights are neat toys. I get pleasure from examining the designs and reverse engineering them. I also enjoy sharing them with other people, much as a stamp collector does.

My gadgets range from high tech cars (a Prius) to mechanical puzzles and everything in-between. I have a pair of scissors, for instance, with a box cutter in the handle for opening packages.

I'm probably not your target audience.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

cy

Flashaholic

there's a common thread for most cpf'ers. we're atracted to shinning things

been acused many times of having too many toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

There's another armchair-psychology explaination for flashaholism (and it's gender-independent) - fear of the dark.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or the need for power - he who wields the biggest, badassest light in pitch darkness, now that is a form of power.

Hold a USL in a dark field and you can feel like Zeus himself for a moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif No USL here but I substituted something.

My extra 2 cents..

What I feel is that everybody needs something to make life more interesting and enjoyable, something to do for fun. For a long time, I enjoyed my computers, until they turned into a job, and you know how it goes from there. Now I'm like.. the damn boxen can stay at the office and I'm going home to my lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chicks shop, guys play with tech tools and toys, to each their own and I can respect that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perhaps the need for tools is already woven deep into the genetic code from the time the first caveman whipped out his flaming firebrand to us lighting newspapers on fire from 100W incandescents? After all tools are largely what has enabled civilization, and many of these tools are toys (and vice versa) as they're fun to use now that we no longer have to blind sabre toothed tigers and mammoths lurking outside the front porch.

BillPilot

Newly Enlightened

Here's a follow up question for anyone who wants to answer: Do flashlights' purpose go beyond the light's basic function, to let you see in the dark? That is, when you carry your flashlight --especially one of the fancier models-- do you feel safer, more secure, or happier?

And the corollary: When you forget to take a flashlight with you, do you feel as if you've left something important behind?

--Bill Adler
www.adlerrobin.com

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

A flashlight is first and foremost a tool. That being said, a better-looking tool is always prefered, so long as it functions as well. After all, you don't see any of us EDCing a small statue.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Without getting into the "Peter Pan Principle" (boys never grow up -- even with some truth, it's still a really crappy book), of course we like our toys. The purpose of toys is for education and also for stress relief. Some tools are also toys, but tools let us control our environment and allow us to exercise our creativity. Control of our environment lets us feel more secure. Having the tools we use to maintain control with us all the time makes us feel even more secure.

Like a lot of sociology, it becomes pretty obvious once it's stated, but getting to that point is the trick.

So, got tools? Guilty.
Got toys? Guilty.
Pride in my toys (HA! thought it was gonna get a little rude there, dintcha?). Guilty.
Like feeling secure with my toys and use my toys to relieve stress? Guilty.
Buy more toys as stress increases, as new geek stuff becomes available, and/or just to make me feel good. Mea Culpa!
Does my wife understand? No. Won't even try to. Same thing with me understanding her liking trinkets/angels/pigs & cows/purses/etc.

The_virus

Enlightened

You might also want to look at personality types and how they relate to collecting gadgets. If a man doesn't collect anything, what does that say about him, compared to someone who collects gadgets. Is there a personality type that defines a person who is more likely to collect?

On the topic of collecting effecting lifestyle, you might also look at the undertaking of new activities to put gadgets to use. For example if someone likes to collect knives, they might take up deer hunting so they can use the knives. Similarly flashlight collectors may take up scuba diving since a light is pretty much essential when diving underwater. Related to this would be the choice of profession. Do gadget collectors often find themselves collecting tools they use at work, or conversely, choosing jobs which allow them to use gadgets? There may be a link there to pride in profession.

Sorry if I'm giving you more questions than answers, but I'm sure you find this topic as a whole interesting, regardless of whether you can put it in your book or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally I've grown way more interested in professions involving tools, including but certainly not limited to flashlights. I've looked into scuba diving but budgeting does not allow it at this time, but I've also chosen a field of study which will certainly involve tools and gadgets (Paramedic training).

I like flashlights because they are useful tools as well as neat gadgets. I also like to see the flashlights as expressions of ideas and innovation. For example it's always neat to find a peculiar groove in a flashlight, then see that it's where your thumb ends up while holding the flashlight for normal use.

As for fear of the dark, mentioned above, I'm quite the opposite. I love the dark and am quite nocturnal if allowed to make my own schedule. I realize though that the dark just won't do for some activities like walking along a wooded path covered in tangly roots which even dark-adapted eyes can't perceive properly.

I will confess to enjoying a blackout because it means all the people around me suddenly find themselves relying on me and my habit of always carrying some kind of flashlight. Being the one person with a light kind of gives you say when everyone else is in the pitch black. This could be linked to a leadership instinct, survival instinct, nurturing/protecting instinct, or ego, depending on how you look at it.