Looking for modded old kl1 beamshot (700ma+IMS)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anybody hook me up with beamshots of a modded old kl1 boosted to 700ma with a lux III and IMS reflector? Can you show a pic of another light for referance please? thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does it compare in throw to the new kl1?

-David

NetMage

Enlightened
Re: Looking for modded old kl1 beamshot (700ma+IMS

From memory, mine throws nearly as well and has a hotspot twice the diameter of the new KL1. I think it is vastly more useful.

Oops - just was reminded when taking beamshots that my KL1 has an NX optic instead of a reflector. I have a KL1/R2H with Reflector, but it is not 700ma. Sorry.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm, anyone else have a modded kl1?

-David

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one. Unfortunately it has the only greenish TYO* I've got, so the color will look crappy compared to my other YO lights.
Give me an idea of what you'd like to see it compared to.
I can do probably do it with a L4, and other YO mods with IMS 17mm, 20mm, McR20, modified Pelican or McR27 reflector at either 520 or 937 mA, and Aleph2 McR20 at 650mA.
Some of those would be limited to ceiling shots as it would be positioning a reflector on a headless light, since I don't actually HAVE that many separate lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have a new kl1 or L1 to compare throw? But if you have a pelican m6 LED, that would be better. Oh yeah, Q3 would work too.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh yeah, it has a lux III, 700ma boost, and relector right. Just making sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-David

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Well ... not 700 but 917 mA:

relux3ww17.jpg

... vs. the same LED and driver in a 27mm reflector (like the Pelican M6 LED):
relux3ww27.jpg

... and the same two in the real world:

relux317.jpg

relux327.jpg

bernie

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

The very best way to do the mod is to turn an adapter to replace the stock bezel ring. This adapter would allow more room for a deeper, and consequently, larger diameter reflector. I made one of these to accommodate a McR20 and it came out nice. Of course, this route shoots the price of the mod way up. I acutally gets to the point where you would have been better off just getting an Aleph II head with an LE.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

which light is the KL1 mod? Would the 700ma with lux III and IMS 17mm reflector chuck as far as new kl1?

-David

Kiessling

Flashaholic

It is a KL1 with IMS17mm erflector (the first one) done by Chop.
I do not have a new KL1 ... sorry.
bernie

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that the more appropriate question would be whether one (a newer KL1) will throw appreciably farther than the other (modded older KL1).

Although I've had occassions to mess with both of them, I've never compard the two because I felt that it was like comparing apples and oranges.

The newer KL1 concentrated almost all of the photons into what could be called "the hotspot." A modified KL1 with a 17mm reflector doesn not do this. Some of the light is is shot out of the front as side spill. This alone would indicate to me that the newer KL1 should shoot farther, at the expense of sidespill.

Another point is that the optic used in the newer KL1 is also very efficient. This is part of the reason that such high lux reading are attained with the newer KL1, even at the moderate bias of 550mA (or there abouts).

Now, to muddy the waters even more, you also have to consider that a modified older KL1 will be biased to run in the 700mA range. That extra couple hundred mA won't make a big difference, but it certainly gives the modded head a bit of a kick.

My objective opinion is that the newer KL1 does not throw appreciably farther than a modified older KL1. It's kind of tough to tell because the newer KL1's lack of sidespill helps to give the appearance that it is throwing farther than it actually is. It just seemed like that to me, anyway.

I think that the bottom line question is, "what would make for a more useful light?" For me, the answer is a modified older KL1. The beam characteristics of the newer KL1 render the light all but useless to me for the applications that I typically use a flashlight for. This point was brought home for me on one particular occassion.

I had a new KL1 sitting on my bench on top of an E2e body. My cousin walked in cursing because he had gotten a flat tire on his way to my house. He walked into my shop and asked if I had a flashlight? I just shook my head and grabbed the one nearest to me. It happened to be the KL1. After a couple of minutes he came back in and asked if I had something with a broader beam. He also commented that if I had modified the light to be like that it was a stupid mod. I made sure that he knew that the reason I had the KL1 was to "fix" that problem; then I reached into my bag and handed him my modified E1e with a direct drive light engine using a turned down McR20 as a reflector. This is the most useful light I have ever had. It's small enough to have with me all of the time and it's tough enough to take the licks that I dish out. You should see the dings in the bezel ring from opening bottle of Dos Equis with it.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tony,

I am in complete agreement; I have an E1e with the "new" KL1; it has plenty of concentrated throw, due to the optics; simply I don't like the optics, when I find an older KL1 will send it to you for a "mod"!!

jeffb

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo, I've been having trouble uploading my pics to an online host. Since I read that you owned a Micra, I emailed a beamshot of my KL1 w/17mm reflector and TYOK@700mA vs. a Longbow Micra with stock optic and a TYOH@520mA, and another shot of the KL1s beam showing the spill.
Let me know if you don't get them or would like some other beamshots.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Chop for the info. And thanks Owne for the beamshots!

-David