I heard of a school in Germany I can't believe.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard of a school in Germany I can\'t believe.

I was listening to the radio today and I heard that there is a school in Germany that teaches people how to laugh. Is there such a thing?

Laughing lessons?

From the peoples whos posts I read from there I see a wonderful sence of humor. I think the Germans here have enough humor to keep the whole nation laughing and smiling.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: I heard of a school in Germany I can\'t believe.

Considering that even a newborn baby knows how to laugh, I wonder why anybody needs to be taught? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually.. it isnt that new.. There are many people who dont find very many things humerous.. (like me)

-tom

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how much that school cost? I wonder if they have a Laughing101 study book, with different chapters....Chapter 1 -- The Giggle, Chapter 2 -- The Belly Laugh, Chapter 3 -- The Snorting Laugh, Chapter 4 -- The Cackle, Chapter 5 -- The Chuckle. Perhaps further on in the course they get to advanced laughter, such as: Chapter 23 -- Milk From The Nose While Laughing, Chapter 24 -- Contagious Laughter (my favorite), Chapter 25 -- Laughing When Somebody Gets Hurt (maybe this one should go in the "Basics" section).

I guess there's a lot of stuff they could learn at that school. Maybe they go on field trips to comedy clubs, where they study and admire the patrons....."wow, look at that guy laugh...," "Oh yeah, he's a real natural, " "Incredible, what a brilliant laugher he is."

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

There IS a therapeutic benefit from laughter - it can lower bvlood pressure and the endorphines generated from a good long belly laugh can leave one feeling relaxed and improve their general sense of well-being.

A longer term benefit of regular laughtrer is that it lowers the production of stress hormones which are bad for you.

evanlocc

Enlightened

Yes, already seen on discovery but was from the home town of Yoga!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I heard of a school in Germany I can\'t believe

I would bet that that is not a home school:

(Feb 17, 2005) excerpt on status of German Homeschoolers:

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, the Loefflers, a homeschooling family who lives near Nuremburg, just received a letter stating that the government will freeze their bank account and come into their home to take anything of value up to the amount of the fine assessed against them. The fine is approximately $14,000. The family does not have the money. If the state of Bavaria follows the usual process the father will be put in jail, and the process of removing their eight year-old daughter will begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

chrisse242

Enlightened

I don't exactly know about the school JSB mentioned, but I bet it has nothing to do with a regular school for kids. Additionally, I bet if you asked anyone on the streets about this school they would say the idea was probably "imported" from the US. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Furthermore, for some people in my country a laughing school would be a very good idea. Quite a few people seem to have forgotten how to laugh which is a very sad thing...

Chrisse

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Laughing is one form of Yoga.. which can keep you healthy... and make others laugh too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There are Loads of Laughing Clubs... Almost Every Park.. in the morning.. you will hear good laughs... even if you are not a part of the club... (like you visit the park for a walk)... you will still laugh by hearing their laughs... every one has individual style of laughing... .....

As some of you have pointed out, Laughing is in has effects on Health.. like Lowering Blood Pressure etc... It also Increased a Activity Level .... and increased T-Storone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .. but not in a bad way..ok... I read it in an Ancient Yoga Book .... written in Sanskrit (Language)...

The_virus

Enlightened

Now here's something I'd like to see a study on: does forced laughter have the same healthy effects as involuntary 'normal' laughter?

If you make a point of laughing at a certain point (like a 'laughter club' meeting) without finding anything funny, are you still getting the same degree of benefits as you would during a naturally stimulated laughter fit?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

For what it is worth, I read in a newspaper article (about Paul Ekman?) that very few people can do forced laughter on command that mimics a naturally occurring laugh.

There does not seem to be much research between laughter and health. And the few out there that Google could find are not promising.

PSYCHOLOGY: INSIGHTS FROM THE WORLD OF COMEDY

[ QUOTE ]
One experiment exposed 20 men and women to pressure-induced discomfort and measured the degree of pain felt after they had listened to a 20-minute laughter cassette, a 20-minute relaxation tape or a 20-minute dull narrative. Discomfort thresholds were higher after the laughter and relaxation tapes.

Martin & Lefcourt (1983) had found that humour appreciation and the ability to accurately perceive it was not sufficient to reduce stress. The production of humour, however, was found to moderate stress. In a later study, humour served to moderate stress for depressive, but not anxiety symptomatology (Nezu, Nezu & Blissett, 1988).

Recently, Rotton (1992) analysed biographical details of living comics, dead comics, literary humorists and matched- nonhumorous individuals to determine whether the production of comedy was associated with increased longevity. There was no significant difference in the length of time lived between deceased comics and other entertainers.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif