Heat (and more importantly Humidity!)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Does the hot humid weather suck the life out of anyone else? I've lived here the very best part of my life (well here for 6 months, 70 miles south for 25 years) and I still can't get "used" to it.

When I get home and get into shorts and T, I feel like a new man! (the A/C don't hurt either!)

Also sucking down a Gatorade can help to a degree.

Your thoughts?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, it has the same effect on me. I've found that Gatorade makes a significant difference for me, so I think the primary mechanism behind "sucking the life out" is dehydration. Plain old water doesn't seem to help as much; I've gotta have the salt and other electrolytes to go with it.

I've also found an OTC product called ThermoTabs. It's essentially salt, potassium and other stuff - Gatorade without the calories - so those work for me if I take one with water.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I can't stand hot weather, especially the humid kind we get over here in NYC. I basically go out as little as possible from May through October because of it. Anything much over 50°F I find uncomfortable.

PJ

Enlightened
The humidity is what kills me. I run a dehumidifier in my house all day so when I get home it is at about 50% RH. Temp is usually around 80 degrees inside lately with the 85+ degree days we're having here in the Midwest. I'm heading to Vegas and then to Phoenix over the 4th of July so I haven't put the window air conditioner in yet. I experienced the dry heat @ 102 degrees last Memorial Day so this should be interesting.

drizzle

Enlightened
I'm happy to be back in a moderate climate again. I spent 10 years in Chicago. Aside from the obvious things like hydrating and AC, I found the best adjustment I made was to simply slow down when out and about in the hot humid Summers. It is now very clear to me why there is a stereotype of Southerners doing everything slow. When it's hot and humid it makes a heck of a lot of sense!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good summer here in New England is when you look forward to the fall. We usually get some heat and humidity but the amount varies summer to summer. We've had quite a spell of it lately but it will have to go on for a long time before I forget the miserable damp cold Spring we had.

On the opposite spectrum, there's nothing quite like bundling up to start your car on a cold winter morning when it's well below 0 degrees F.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've learned to apply the siesta approach. Start about 0600 lay off at 1200 and back 1700 til ?

verbie

Enlightened
been in houston for 19 yrs and the humidity still gets to me. i dont think anyone could get "used" to the humidity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif but, hey, today wasnt so bad in houston, was it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The humidity here in Michigan is a real killer too.

It has been 95 degrees for the last few days..odd, since we only get like 5 days/year of 90+.

With the high humidity, once you exert yourself, the sweat just pours, and doesn't stop. Those southerners are smart to just take it easy.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink early and often, before you feel thirsty, because thirst is a rather late (and relatively unreliable) symptom of dehydration.
Water or Gatorade work best for me.

As a former competitive cyclist, I can say that Gatorade is is a good product...it is a bit sugary, though. It turns out you actually hydrate faster if the solution is ~7%, which Gatorade is. Plus, Gatorade actually has a pretty good mineral profile.
Also, Gatorade can be pretty inexpensive if you get it in the big tub of powder.

Take care,
Bob

*Retired*
I found using an air conditioner hurts your ability to climatize.

I actually grew accustomed to coastal NC weather, and Florida was no big deal.

After a year or so, I was able to run 10 miles in +90 degree temperatures during black flag days (organized military physical training not allowed) on those days with the 98% humidity at the same time. On those days I enjoyed 10 mile runs in combat boots, flak jacket, utility trousers, cartridge belt, two full canteens, first aid kit, and ammo pouch. They had water buffalos (water tanks) every 1/2 mile or so, for hydration. What is weird in that humidity level is your sweat doesn't seem to evaporate, and at the end, your boots are full of water. I sure miss those days.

When I'd first experienced that heat/humidity, I found it hard to breathe, but conditioning sure makes a huge difference.

It sure made a big difference when we went over for Desert Storm/Shield and I was thankful for the conditioning.

Also, I lived off base, and didn't have the money to afford air conditioning, and at first spent many uncomfortable nights trying to sleep.

If you want to climatize, just slowly back off on the amount of air conditioning you use by raising the temperature a tad. Your energy bill will thank you too.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
What is weird in that humidity level is your sweat doesn't seem to evaporate, and at the end, your boots are full of water. I sure miss those days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, running in the tropics is just like that. I'd end up drenched in sweat. Up in the 45º parallel is nothing like that. I run for a while, and I barely break a sweat. I miss sweating like a PIG!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I first had to deal with heat+humidity, I'd feel very sleepy, but with no AC to rely upon for cooling, the body kinda grows used to it. At least mine did (thank God!).

Topper

Flashaholic*
It has been hot and humid here in Jonesboro. The heat index for tomorrow is 110f it is guessed to hit 98% humidity at 100f The plant I work in (no AC) will not be fun. I drink lots of water. So far we have just had one worker suffer a stroke and it has not been called a "heat stroke" as yet.
Scott /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif