EternaLights and 26K mcd LED's

TRC

Newly Enlightened
EternaLights and 26K mcd LED\'s

I a BIG fan of EternaLights, and the idea of adding a couple of 26,000 mcd LED to my EternaLights has great appeal to me.

But I read that the 26K mcd LED don't hold up well if driven over 30ma.

So I opened one of my lithium powered EternaLights, to measure the current at the LED.

I MUST not know what I'm doing. I have a very cheap DMM, and I set it to the 200ma range. Touching the two contacts on one of the LEDs caused the LED to go out, while I was taking the reading.

But what REALLY confused me was getting a reading of 110ma!

I'm assuming that can't be right.

So, does anyone know, or could measure for me, how much current the EternaLight runs it's 4 LED's on; using L-91 lithium batteries?

If the current to the LED's is over 30ma, as I tend to suspect, would Nichia NSPW500CS LED's be a better choice?

I'm completely new to modding flashlights, and I don't want to let the magic smoke out of any of my beloved EternaLights, so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last but certainly not least, what kind of solder should be used, assuming I get as far as cutting out two of the original LED's from one or more of my EternaLights? I know 'standard' electrical solder doesn't stick to aluminum; I'm assuming there's a special kind that works on aluminum, and hopefully is also low temp, to cut down on the chance of heat travelling down the anode and cathode, and damaging, or even melting the plastic housing. If you have a P/N from Rat Shack, I'd appreciate it; or a guideline in what to look for.

Many thanks for your help with this!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EternaLights and 26K mcd LED\'s

Current measurements have to be made in series, so that the current passes through the meter and then through the rest of the circuit. Otherwise, you're basically shorting out the circuit and you could melt down your meter if you do this under the wrong circumstances.

If the LED is in series with a single resistor with a known resistance, then you can calculate the current through the LED by measuring the *voltage* across the resistor (while the circuit is on) and dividing by the resistance.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Andrew is right.

If you want to measure the current, you can cut one of the leads to the lead and then use the DMM to bridge the gap. That would put it in series so you can get a proper current reading. Then just solder the two halves of the lead back together.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

try the new nichias U rank, they are better, all eternalights are overdrived at max level, dunno how much but i think around 40ma

TRC

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
Andrew is right.

If you want to measure the current, you can cut one of the leads to the lead and then use the DMM to bridge the gap. That would put it in series so you can get a proper current reading. Then just solder the two halves of the lead back together.

[/ QUOTE ]

What specific kind of solder would I need to use on the aluminum leads?

Thanks.

savumaki

Enlightened

I am a total Klutz when it comes to electronics but I have spent years in the welding/fusion field; pb(lead) and al(aluminum) are NEVER going to join in happy whatever and produce offspring. For conductivety you will have to employ mechanical means, ie; threading, screws, wrap, and clamping, come to mind.
There are some very ingenious ways used by the guru's and you can find alot of them as you peruse the forums; good luck to you.
Karl

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

aluminum leads? If you are talking about LEDs they don't have aluminum leads and standard 60/40 electronic solder works fine on them.

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened

OK guys, we've had this idea for sometime now, it's very easy for me to do, tell me what you think: CPF edition EliteMax for the modders - has sockets for each LED and comes with a few extra LEDs with different colors or put your own in - change as often as you like. Let me know - if I get enough interst, we'll build some!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MrEternaLight said:
OK guys, we've had this idea for sometime now, it's very easy for me to do, tell me what you think: CPF edition EliteMax for the modders - has sockets for each LED and comes with a few extra LEDs with different colors or put your own in - change as often as you like. Let me know - if I get enough interst, we'll build some!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a Great Idea.

If i get this light.. i will put the New Nichia NSPW500CS LED's from Grumpy's Group buy.

It will also be cool to see other colors being put like Green .. Blue & Red...

I believe that 5 LED Version with Nichia CS LED's will put up atleast 30 Lumens.... (which is the Realistic Output of standard QIII) ... If It's Water Proof then .. it's like having a Kool Survival Light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With the Flexibility to change LED's and Flexibility for Light Output... ... It's Best for the purpose.

Hope cost wont be too high...

Also, i think... (not sure though) MrEternaLight had come up with the idea of Micro Controlled Lights ... the very first time... and then other's followed... isn't it true?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

ModaMag swapped LEDs in my EliteMax and we pushed them into the body so that the tips are pretty much flush with the opening. This way there is no glare for side emitting. (my preference) and the LUX is more than double now going from 77 LUX to 200 LUX. I haven't tested runtime with the new 26k upgrade but so far the light has worked flawlesly and much better beam and output.

Definately in favor of a TK factory upgrade but I wouldn't need one myself at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a few Nichias from the Grumpy Group Buy, and if you could sell one which would have sockets for me to slot these into, that'd be pretty cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like the idea of being able to swap from red/white to all-white or similar with a minimum of tools.

I know I might be able to get a few people to buy them, given the versatility of the EternaLights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Weylan

Enlightened

Based on this, what LEDs are in the EternaLights?

What LEDs are in the Derrenger? I have 2.

So this brings up the fact, what current are the LEDs driven to from the source?

This might help us decide if upgrading is even worth it.

Most of us are willing to do the work to experiment, but it always nice to know if the work has already been done.

Yes, would you expect the 26k white LEDs be an impovement?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Well I'm certainly liking this idea!

1. Any chance of this "option" on a standard Ergo 3 as well?

2. If we start changing colors, aren't there some different voltage requirements for certain LEDs? Will the current circuit allow for this or will be limited to certain colors in specific slots...

3. Do I have a clue as to what I'm asking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it's pretty well known that I have a high opinion of the products that come out of Technology Associates! Bring it on!!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea of a CPF edition light, probably better addressed in a new thread, but I'm still curious about what amount of juice is going to the stock LEDs.

I was thinking about swapping to 26Ks until I read about the degradation now maybe the new Nichias instead.

-LT

Geologist

Enlightened

Would there be an upgrade path for existing EL owners? I already have all of the Elite Series plus the RavN2 plus a couple of the Derringers. I too have thought about doing a swap on the LEDs, but this idea does sound interesting.....

Geologist

Geologist

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif
any new information on this?

Lightmeup

Enlightened

I'd like to see an Eternalight with one UV bulb in the array.

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened

Hey guys - I'm hoping to try some sample sockets next week. If some of you wish to help me and influence my decision, here is the vendor I'm looking at:

http://www.digikey.com

Because of the design of the eternalight shell, it is necessary have a 90 degree bend in the LED to seat them properly. Thus, the socket should be a straight mount, must accomodate 5mm square leads and must have .01" centers. It must be breakable. single ot 2 pin units. I haven't tried a standard breakable sip socket yet, that may work just fine. Like this, it doesn't necessarily have to be an LED socket, just needs to hold the LEDs. Because the EliteMax has an over drive feature, heatsink pads were built into the circuit board, a socket MAY not sink as much heat, Which may cause a shorter life - but - they'll be much easier to replace right? To answer Q's earlier about different FV LEDs, the circuitry adapts somewhat to that. Lower FVs do get a bit more current, but not a proportional amount more (does not follow Ohm's law). I'll be watching! Thanks guys!