iTunes 4.9 - Podcasting

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple released iTunes 4.9 today, with its major improvement being the addition of Podcasting to the iTunes software. Podcasting is internet radio, that is open to everybody. From ABCNews and Disney to everyday people, anybody can create a podcast on whatever topic(s) they please. All of the podcasts on iTunes are free.

Apple's podcasting directory, available though iTunes, currently has over 3,000 podcasts, and you can add your own podcasts to the directory. You can subscribe to as many podcasts as you like, which are automatically downloaded to your computer, and synced to your iPod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Playing with it right now, even considered starting a thread.

Pretty cool! I'm adding a bunch of Podcasts and I'll go back and then filter out until I just have a few.

Only thing is I've got no time to listen to them really, that is, I don't drive to work and I enjoy listening to {live} radio in the morning, but meh -- guess we'll see.

Tried Podcasting before but it was just a pain. Should be much easier now.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Interesting. I had downloaded and installed the new version of iTunes today. As usual, I hadn't read the "what's new" document yet. These sound pretty cool. I'll have to check it out.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just two days after the release of iTunes 4.9, there have been over one million podcasting subscriptions.

[ QUOTE ]
Taken from iPodLounge:

"iTunes has done what possibly no one else could have accomplished, propelled Podcasting into the mainstream," said Will Lewis, management consultant for KCRW. "Our servers have been swamped with a stratospheric increase in traffic. In fact, downloads have increased tenfold as a result of the iTunes 4.9 launch."

[/ QUOTE ]

So far I have subscribed to five podcasts, all of which are pretty good.

I have yet to update my iPod firmware...which I should probably do. That won't wipe anything on my iPod, will it? Just replace the old firmware?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Updating firmware does not erase any iPod data.

I wish the Podcast menu would show you what ones you had listened to already and which ones you had not yet listened to, or even better, which ones you've not started, which ones are partially listened to, and which ones are completed -- and then make that trait smart playlist-able.

I'm sure they'll add that feature eventually, but I want it now!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that feature is already here. If you right click on of your subscriptions, you will see a "Mark As Played" or "Marked as Unplayed" option. There should be a small blue bullet to the left of the Podcast name if you have not listened to it yet.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Only partially there.

My iPod can't show me what's new and what's not, and I can't have an automatically-updating smart playlist that shows me only unplayed podcasts.