Your first car?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Mine was a '63 Chevy Impala V8. No power steering, no power brakes, no power anything. It was built like a tank but I always dreaded having to parallel park it. Parking without power steering was an aerobic workout! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
old ugly nova that was under a teee no ac but it was fast as hect

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

...So that made it a SuperNova! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost got a late 60's Corvette and I didn't even know it. I was about 17/yo around 1980 and my dad bought me a '68 Buick Riviera. I wanted a sports car so bad that I had two big black racing stripes painted down the silver hood and trunk. LMAO

Added a 35watt Alpine cassette Deck with Alpine 6x9 speakers and I was Da Man! LOL (In my own mind) My buds and I rocked out to Ted Nugent and AC/DC Back in Black all summer long! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
lol i miiss it somedays but i dont miss driveing in trafic i hated that lol
...So that made it a SuperNova! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
T'was 1977...

I had of all things, a 1969 Renault 10! Rear engine, the clutch was a heck of a cable that gave trouble until grampa made a bad a$$ bracket for it. That car gave me fits.

That one didn't stick around long. 1967 Impala next. 350 with a 2 speed auto. Got busted for 62mph in a 35mph zone, and this was after being full throttle for a while! Stone reliable!

My best vehicle was number 3! 1964 Chevy Stepside Shortbed Truck. 250 6cyl and three on the tree. Couldn't kill that engine with revs... the lifters would collapse first! That thing did a LOT in the time I had it, from camping trips with my other church people, to pulling a boat down the coast. GRANITE reliable! I have the most fond memories of that one!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My second car was a '71 Plymouth Duster (used). It got much better gas mileage than the Chevy and the stuff under the hood was so simple that even I could fix stuff. The only glitches with that car were that it kept blowing the ballast resistor and it went through several starter motors. It got to where I could change the starter myself in fifteen minutes flat.

I never did figure out why it didn't like starter motors, but then I'm not very knowledgable about engines.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
1962 StudeBaker "Lark"; Fire Engine Red, "3 on the tree".

Those were the days...............at least what I can remember!!

jeffb

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i also had a ford exp with a 1.9 ho motoer i loved that car it was fast for a four banger and got great mialge i got it way under wholesale the stereo was worth more then i payed for it.i had a few cars also had a 89 mazsda 626 probaly the best car i had .i washard on cars i drove pretty darn fast

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I also bought a '68 Dodge Charger used. That was my third car if I recall. It had a huge motor, 4-barrel carburetor and the previous owner had souped it up with a Thrush muffler, jacked-up rear end, white fur on the dash and Playboy stickers in the rear window. The first thing I did was to un-do all of that bling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

That car was darned fast but it guzzled gas and it felt heavy and not very responsive because of all that steel.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
...also had a 89 mazsda 626 probaly the best car i had .i washard on cars i drove pretty darn fast

[/ QUOTE ]

By that time it seemed that they got all the kinks out of the Mazda engines and they had a good series of cars. I heard that the first rotary (wankel?) engines were terrible.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
- - - a 51 Chevy Deluxe. It had PowerGlide, a new innovation which required no clutch. When I put it in Drive, it was locked in high gear -- no shifting (designed that way). Zero to 60 in about a minute or so. On a flat road with no headwind, it could do 91 miles an hour if I was patient enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
...also had a 89 mazsda 626 probaly the best car i had .i washard on cars i drove pretty darn fast

[/ QUOTE ]

By that time it seemed that they got all the kinks out of the Mazda engines and they had a good series of cars. I heard that the first rotary (wankel?) engines were terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah the older rotarys wehre probelms with the apex seal.the newer ones amaze me how much powert they make per cubic inch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
On simple under the hood...

Two vehicles come to mind. My Sister had a 1973 Dodge "the Toad". The only trouble it ever gave went away when I put a points distributer in it instead of that early "smart" ignition.

And I drove for a while (2+ years!) a 1975 Datsun PU that had so little compression it would roll down a driveway if not in first or reverse. I had to gap the points every now and then, and push start it from time to time. But it was pretty much stone reliable.

Both vehicles were easy maintnance for sure!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My first was a '63 Volvo 122S that I got in 1968. My father got it from a friend for about $500. I remember being surprised by the seat belts and FM radio in it. It was a fun car, when it was running, but all first cars are fun.

Geoff

Ctechlite

Enlightened
1976 Ford Elite (Torino). This baby was lime green with white leather interior. It had a tired 351 windsor and the only smoke it made was coming out of the tail pipe in the mornings. I loved that old boat! It taught me how to drive and it taught others to get outa the way quick! I still like big old cars, but their safety issues preclude me from carrying my children in them. Maybe I'll get a motorcycle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
First was a 1959 Rambler American. You can see what one looks like at
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/4/79458564.htm

The car had 3 on the tree with over drive and a straight 6. It seated 8 or 9 teenagers if they were all good friends. It was actually a small car, with comfortable seating for 5. It had manual brakes, steering and tranny, windows and seats. The windshield wipers were vacuum operated, so they went faster or slower depending on engine speed.

My mom talked me into buying it for $150. As Is. On the ride home I hit 50 MPH and thought the front end was going to fall off. We bought used tires and a battery at the junk yard for $60. Mom paid for a new master cylinder since it went out before I got to my driveway. I drove it all summer and fall, and sold it to the junk yard 6 months later for $55.

I learned how to drive in that car. I also learned how to do a brake job, pack wheel cylinders, rebuild carbs and set the points and timing. I've since learned to hand a credit card to the mechanic. That works much better.

Daniel

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
T'was 1977...

I had of all things, a 1969 Renault 10! Rear engine, the clutch was a heck of a cable that gave trouble until grampa made a bad a$$ bracket for it. That car gave me fits.

That one didn't stick around long. 1967 Impala next. 350 with a 2 speed auto. Got busted for 62mph in a 35mph zone, and this was after being full throttle for a while! Stone reliable!

My best vehicle was number 3! 1964 Chevy Stepside Shortbed Truck. 250 6cyl and three on the tree. Couldn't kill that engine with revs... the lifters would collapse first! That thing did a LOT in the time I had it, from camping trips with my other church people, to pulling a boat down the coast. GRANITE reliable! I have the most fond memories of that one!

[/ QUOTE ]my dad told me horror storys about renaults he and his buddy bought one well he conviced his buddy to buy one he bought one to he said it was the worst car he ever had lol he and his freind are still freinds i have no idea what year he bought the car i dont think i was born yet ill ask him when i see him