"Superlights" - Min. Qualifications

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Superlights\" - Min. Qualifications

All opinions are valid. What minimum qualifications do you consider necessary for a light to be regarded as one of the best, or a "Superlight"? I'll offer variable levels, reliability, and brightness for opening suggestions but a light doesn't, necessarily have to be bright to be great.

Early on, Arc's lineup could have been regarded as Superlights, especially the LS. Nothing else like the AA, AAA, or LS existed - now they've been eclipsed. If the HDS is as tough as the Arc LS, I'd say it would qualify as one of the best.

The SF E2e may still qualify because it's one of the brightest for its size. Would the E1L qualify? Perhaps not due to only one brightness level. Although it has super construction, warranty, and throw for its size. The A2 may still be a superlight...it would be super if I had one!

Flamethrowers costing $300 + might qualify due to their sheer amount of lumens and cost.

I'm not real familiar with all the excellent "home brews" from Mr. Bulk, McLux, Electrolumens, and others I can't remember right now...sorry, there are so many great, limited production, lights.

What do you consider to be the least expensive superlights?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Superlights\" - Min. Qualifications

Superlights?

For me Superlights must have extreme output for size or some unique quality such as being the first or only lights in their class:

USL/Aurora
Mag11/60/74/85 series
Tiger11/74/85 series

SpaceNeedle II
MrBulk VIP/LionHeart/LionCub

LarryLights

Surefire A2 and M6
(Several others might qualify, like the U2, except that there are similar lights made by others that are in the same class at this point. U2 lovers, don't flame me, I just happen to think that the MrBulk lights are everybit as useful and smaller)

Two stage Alephs. (Because they were the first mass produced, sort of, that anyone could spec themselves and build0.

Obviously, I have not named some lights, like the the Beast, Maxabeam, etc. I have left them off because they are, by anybodies definition, Superlights, but the cost is so high that they SHOULD be!

I'm sure I'll think of a few more as time goes on.

Bill

cy

Flashaholic

In no particular order...

1. MR-X X3T
2. PK-1
3. Li14430
4. L1-PR-T 917
5. Ti Cub
6. Barbolight U-09
7. ARC4X
8. ARC LS first run proto

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Superlights have no specific definition but if I were to define it, it would be any light with at least 500 bulb lumens or more, IMHO. (Mag85/11/66/74, USL, MiniHID, Surefire M6, Thor, X990, Maxabeam, Sleeper, Ken-5, Aurora, Polaris, etc) Yeah, I know there are more to list but thats a good start.

Jeff

McGizmo

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
What do you consider to be the least expensive superlights?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy one for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How about a light that will run 24/7/365 for longer than you live and sells for under $10 typically. No batteries required and nothing to add for constant on light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo WINS!! now that would be a superlight.

for ME a superlight is the superlight made by MJ, the Bulk Creations, or the McGizmo creations (which I don't any of yet.. sniff) all of these lights were/are built for output, design and functionality.

Doug

McGizmo

Flashaholic

diggdug13,

It is a superlight. They go by the name of tritium vials. Now, if we could only figure out how to bin them and measure their lux....................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

WEll, a tritium vial has a half-life of only 12 years, really, and I'd hope your lifespan's longer than THAT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGiz, there's also the sun.
Anyone can use it, runs for longer than we will live, requires no battery and is available to (almost) everyone for free.
Now it's not the brightest binned star in the galaxy but it's not so bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Haesslich,
Some of these over driven Luxeon based lights have a half life of possibly a couple hundred hours yet the talk is about passing them on to grand children. But yes, the H3 vial will get dimmer but it will continue putting out light long after I am gone!

kongfuchicken,
The sun sets the standard when it comes to light, no doubt about it! Some of us have even used it, bounced off a mirror, for illumination purposes in ambient shaddow. However, it isn't quite as portable as some of the alternatives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Haesslich,
Some of these over driven Luxeon based lights have a half life of possibly a couple hundred hours yet the talk is about passing them on to grand children. But yes, the H3 vial will get dimmer but it will continue putting out light long after I am gone!

kongfuchicken,
The sun sets the standard when it comes to light, no doubt about it! Some of us have even used it, bounced off a mirror, for illumination purposes in ambient shaddow. However, it isn't quite as portable as some of the alternatives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh - I'd hope you'd be around longer than 20 years, though I'm personally waiting for someone to invent glowstrips or something that'll put out the equivalent amount of light as several 5mms, but which don't require batteries to run, and can last for a few decades. Now that'd be a 'superlight' for me, if only to use as a locator or to navigate.