How I carry spare 123's batteries

attowatt

Enlightened
How I carry spare 123\'s batteries

Found this thread from a few years back and got some ideas on carrying spares.

I used the ibuprofen that came in the container for headaches,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif trying to figure out how to make 2 123's fit inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif, as the cap will NOT close with 2 123's inside./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

So...........

I drilled 5/16 holes on both cap(remove plastic disc that's inside cap first) and the tube ends, so that both battery's positive are facing outward(negative to negative inside). On the tube, I used an exacto knife to remove a SMALL portion of the 4 rings that LOCK the cap in place(childproof cap). Then covered positive ends of both batteries with electrical tape(you will understand in next step) and dropped into container. Made a batch of epoxy and since I had some glow powder left over...added it as well. Applied to both cap and tube end, covering holes drilled previously. The epoxy only covers/touches electrical tape applied earlier to batteries. After epoxy cures opened container AND removed both batteries. Epoxy molds to the top (+) of each battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Works like a charm.

I know I could have just bought a .99 cent match holder from walmart, but I was looking for the smallest container to use. i have to tap on my palm to get second battery out; I'm ok with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Understand this is by no means water proof; at best it is mist/spray/rain proof.

I put a piece of electrical tape on desk and stood tube on its end while it was curing allowing epoxy to mold to "flat surface"

Jim

dsc008925dn.jpg

dsc008938xd.jpg

dsc009039oa.jpg

dsc008948pi.jpg

dsc008967rj.jpg

dsc008973cr.jpg

dsc008994pc.jpg

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: How I carry spare 123\'s batteries

That's pretty cool, I like it!

The epoxy didnt stick to the piece of tape on top of the battery?

attowatt

Enlightened

nope/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

I used black electrical tape Scotch Super 33+. I think any plastic electrical tape will work, as long as it is smooth surface. Look at the picture of the inside of cap, you can see some of tape markings(black) on cap. Other than that thats all. After epoxy cures the surface is so smooth it does not stick to tape, but is molded to top of 123 batts with a little space where the tape was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been tempted to use Amondotech's "fused together" CR123a cells in my 2xCR123A lights (MEK and Quake II). But that means I'd have to carry separate spares for any 1xCR123a lights I might also be carrying. Of course, I have the same problem now, mixing CR123A lights with AA...

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice "mod".

Blades

clays

Newly Enlightened

Cool!! I have a Dramamine container that looks just like that one. When the Dramamine's gone, I'll give it a try.

matthewdanger

Enlightened

Very cool. It ought to be pretty easy to find should you drop it in the dark as well.

Any way you could add the proper size o-ring for additional water resistance?

Oh and... You have spare batteries, but what do you do if you have a headache? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened

I like to use the "small white box" from countycomm (Also Thursday plantation toothpicks box) You can fit three inside, its a tight fit, and you need to tape it closed to be secure (nod to the advil bottle) but its pretty compact for 3. I have a question also, is it okay to stack two 123's on top of one another? I guess it would be, because they sit like that in many lights...just curious.

attowatt

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Anti_candescent said:
I have a question also, is it okay to stack two 123's on top of one another? I guess it would be, because they sit like that in many lights...just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine did not fit with the cap completely closed being stacked like it would in a flashlight. The slight difference had to be made up by turning both positive's outward, where the 5/16 hole was and then epoxied. You dont really even need to epoxy as both positive caps will be facing outward. If you short both positives nothing really happens because the surefire 123's negative's do not touch each other as the red label wrap covers the negative side pretty good leaving a gap of air. Duracell and Panasonic also have a air gap. I inserted a piece of metal between the negative's and measured 0.022 volts) on both the positives.

I wont be carrying spares with a piece of metal between batteries.

Im going out on a limb with this statement: I think CARRYING SPARES with both negatives together is actually safer, than if they were carried negative to positive, whether it be plastic tubing or a flashlight.

Jim

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Found these expensive carriers. Carries 2 CR123A, $26.95Jazebra

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is what I use they are on sale for only 5.95 at our own BugoutgearUSA

batterycarrier

Doug