inova xo + unprotected r123 = no light.

aceo07

Enlightened
I tried some unprotected r123s in my inova xo and now it's dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It lasted for about a 20-30 seconds and a few taps on and off. Then it stayed off. Hate to learn my lesson the hard way.

Is there a way to fix it? Can I replace parts? Circuits? LED?

It's a beautiful flashlight and I'd hate to toss it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The X5 I cut apart way back when had five resistors- one for each LED. You have fried the LED's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's a decent design for the redundancy. You can blow one or four and still emit photons.) There have been some mod threads regarding filling them with water and freezing them to disassemble the head's press fit. If you can solder, the LED's can be replaced.

Larry

aceo07

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif I think I'll invest in a inova t2. It seems like a good choice since it's almost as bright as the xo and lasts for 2more hours on full brightness.

Can the T2 work with unprotected r123 cells? Are there any other good flashlights with long life that work with unprotected r123s. (maybe I should start a new thread to gather lists of flashlights)..

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you should try the T2 with r123's... or any of the Inovas for that matter. Maybe you should look at the T4, which is the rechargeable version of the T3? It has the Li-Ion already built in, and we KNOW it's regulated enough to run with that.

And as far as 'good' flashlights, it depends on your needs. If you can afford one, the LionCub's a good one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ditto the McLux-PD.

aceo07

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
I don't think you should try the T2 with r123's... or any of the Inovas for that matter. Maybe you should look at the T4, which is the rechargeable version of the T3? It has the Li-Ion already built in, and we KNOW it's regulated enough to run with that.

And as far as 'good' flashlights, it depends on your needs. If you can afford one, the LionCub's a good one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ditto the McLux-PD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad I wasn't thinking when I put the r123s into the xo.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

A good flashlight, for me, needs to be about minimag size (or smaller) with decent throw and output (similar to xo or better) and good regulated runtime (4hrs+). I want to use it for camping and hiking. Being inexpensive (sub $100) helps too.

aceo07

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lambert said:
Why not just use rechargeable CR128As with 3.2v ratings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I found those? I haven't heard of them before.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad I wasn't thinking when I put the r123s into the xo.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

A good flashlight, for me, needs to be about minimag size (or smaller) with decent throw and output (similar to xo or better) and good regulated runtime (4hrs+). I want to use it for camping and hiking. Being inexpensive (sub $100) helps too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you want them all in one package... you'll be hard pressed to find it - 'good throw, bright, 4+ hour runtime, and cheap' are four ideas which don't go together too often.. or often at all. I'm not sure how well the Inovas are regulated, but the T4 sounds like your best bet to fit all those categories, outside of its size. Otherwise, the McLux or the LionCub both work on r123's and have good throw.. but blow your budget clear out of the water.

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
xo.gif

That's the discharge curve of the X0.

As to where you can find rechargeable 3.2V CR128A cells, Thomas distribution has them.

http://thomas-distributing.com/delkin-rcr-123a-rechargeable-charger.htm

They should work in a X0 since I've been told the Inova lights can tolerate up to 6.5v but do at your own risk. As for a T2 vs the X0, the T2 uses a 2W Luxeon LED while the X0 use a 1W Luxeon LED and both use two battery cells. The T1 uses a 1.5W Luxeon LED but it only uses one CR128A cell. Finally below are the discharge curves for the T1, T2, and T3. The T3 uses a 3.2W Luxeon LED btw while the X03 uses a 3W Luxeon LED. I've also added the X03 curve next to the T3.

t1.gif

t2.gif

inova_t3.gif
xo3.gif

As you can see the regulation curves are very good indeed. The T2 is much better than the X0 in runtime, however, it throws a little less farther than the X0 even though it uses a higher 2W LED. This probably means the LED is driven less harder to get the almost 6 hours of peak output.

aceo07

Enlightened
With the long runtime of the T2, I doubt I could justify the cost of protected RCR123 cells and charger for now. Maybe if it was cheaper...

Anybody know where to get the T2 for under $45 shipped?

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
I agree 5 hours of 95% output from a single Lithium CR128A is a long time and if you you use a T2 in 2/3 minute bursts one battery should last you at least a year. That's only like $1 per year in battery costs.