LionHeart and LionCub buzz?

Weylan

Enlightened
Last night I got up to go to the bathroom. I have a Lh and a LC comming. The LH is set to UI1. So I turned the light on in level 1 to save my eyes and so I don't miss the toilet. :)

I set my LH on the hard countertop. I swore, because the light went out. Damn that spring being too soft! I started up the light again in level 2 by accident. And I noticed that the LH made the counter top buzz. I know that the LH does PWM, and that is where the buzzing is coming from. But it was weird. The LH only seems to buzz when the UI1 level is
Level 1 No Buzz
Level 2 BUZZ
Level 3 BUZZ
Level 4 BUZZ
Level 5 No Buzz

The LH may buzz in Level 1 and level 5, but I didn't notice, or couldn't hear it. Any one else notice this and have thoughts?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Weylan said:
Last night I got up to go to the bathroom. I have a Lh and a LC comming. The LH is set to UI1. So I turned the light on in level 1 to save my eyes and so I don't miss the toilet. :)

Level 1 No Buzz
Level 2 BUZZ
Level 3 BUZZ
Level 4 BUZZ
Level 5 No Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been covered before. The buzz is PWM ~ 800Hz.

There is no PWM at the highest level so of course no buzz. There is buzz at the lowest level - but very low intensity. The spring is the source of the buzz - sympathetic oscillation in tune with the PWM frequency.

george.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've heard the buzz sometimes... i've also heard a buzz on fatman at very low drive currents.. maybe george can confirm if it's supposed to do that.. 100mA but 4 emitters.. so pretty high relative power.

maybe some foam inside the spring to absorbe the ringing..

-awr

ps.. when i read the subject i thought it was 'buzz' as in 'rumor..talk.. chat'

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The SPRING is the source of the buzz? You mean the spring pressing the battery vs. the head? How's that (from an electronic idiot's pint of view)? I always thought it's the converters that make the noises in flashlights ...
bernie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dont let em fool ya .when they built em one of the hat team had a few beers and knocked over a beee,s nest last i heard there is about 47 units with at least one bee or more in them.but dont tell know one i told ya this

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great feature to let blind flashaholics know when the light is on, similar to Braille writing on those cash dispensers.

(Come to think of it though, I've never figured out how blind people could figure out the menus on the screen of those cash machines, though, since unlike the LH and LC, there is no audible clue!)

Bill

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Gives you something to listen to while waiting days for the run time tests to end!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd. I've never heard a buzz from my Lionheart, even when I press the danged thing up to my ear or my head.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must need a hearing aid: all I hear is the Pacific Ocean when I put mine up to my ear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Is this UAF (Un-documented Assistance Feature in this case, though that usually means un-documented annoyance feature at work) specific to the new springs or the old Bellevilles? I'm feeling left out and I'm gonna need some entertainment if I venture into the levels 1/2 realm of runtime testing.

Will it cause brain cancer if I hold one up to each ear at the same time?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess.. it could be considered a test to see how well your hearing still works... how many inches away can you hear your LH buzz at 1/2 power :-D..

=awr

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, you have to change your marketing. Start selling buzzers that also give off light.
The subsequent CPF post will read: "Has anyone noticed that their buzzer also gives off light? Great feature!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif