Diference between Nichia NSPW500CS , MJLED &....

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am running an MJLED with two primary Lithium Energizers AA batteries. Draws about 77 ma and is bright and white.
However I hear that these have a tendency to fail early and was wondering how the MJLED would compare in light output to a Nichia NSPW500CS run from the same two Lithium AA batteries.

wwglen

Enlightened
IF you are getting less than 80 mA you should be good. They are rated at 100mA.

one of my MJLEDs pulled 135mA with new Lithiums. Didn't blow and settled dow to around 75-80mA.

wwglen

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichias have a much higher Vf than the MJLED. On one test I did, the Nichia Vf was 3.65V at 57 mA. The Lithium Enerizers will drive it at a lower voltage (and therefore current). The MJLEDs have a really low Vf - at 40mA I had a Vf of about 2.8V - that's why the current is higher at the primary lithium voltages. I have some tests going here. I will eventually be doing a lumen maintenance burn-in test at about 100 mA on the MJLED.

Paul

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Diference between Nichia NSPW500CS , MJLED &..

Thanks chimo. So if I purchase some Nichia NSPW500CS and run them off 2x Lithium Energizers, they will be considerably dimmer in light output than the MJLED.
What is an MJLED before its cut and polished?
I am looking for the best single 5mm LED that will work in a 2x AA application.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Anglepoise said:
Thanks chimo. So if I purchase some Nichia NSPW500CS and run them off 2x Lithium Energizers, they will be considerably dimmer in light output than the MJLED.
What is an MJLED before its cut and polished?
I am looking for the best single 5mm LED that will work in a 2x AA application.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should be dimmer at 3.4V. The MJLEDs are 5mm LEDs that are rated for 100mA. They have a low Vf compared to the other 5mm white LEDs. They have a much larger die cup as well (more thermal mass). The "treatment" that makes them MJLEDs is the grinding of the normal 5mm epoxy "lens". The ground shape refracts more of the light form the emitter out the sides of the LED so it can be used effectively with a reflector. The MJLED seems to fit your goal. Uncut (unground) versions of this can be purchased from the Shoppe.

Paul

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

it's a 5mm 100mA

reflector = MJLED - focusable
light use= 26k - bright and nice white color
heavy use = NSPW500CS - color and output is not as nice but, light output stays strong throughout the led's life.