Longbow Micra Waterproof?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have seen a few places list the Longbow line of lights as "dive lights." Longbow also list watersports on their website as one of the activites for which their lights are well suited.

Just how water resistant are these lights? Does anyone have any depth ratings?

I have a Micra on the way and I am mostly just curious. I have other lights that I will be using around the water.

Thanks much,
Matt

The_virus

Enlightened
It depends on which tailcap you have I'd say. If you got the clickie tailcap, I wouldn't go diving with it...the water pressure would render the switch useless. The twistie would be fine. Longbow says their light is "water-proof" and even has a pic of a swimmer on their site, but "some conditions apply" is more realistic, as always.

That being said, I don't own a Longbow (yet), but I do know that the thin rubber membrane used in the clickie is the type of thing that shouldn't be relied upon when diving, as water pressure will keep it depressed once you reach a certain depth, making the light constantly on, or constantly off. That's why dive lights will always be twist-on or have a manual pivot switch like on the Princeton Tec Surge. You'd probably be fine using either tailcap by the dock or in a boat though if that's where you plan to use it.

One thing though I'd like to ask, what happened to the Eco tube? Longbow no longer has the Eco tube in their accessories selection on their website, has it been discontinued? I was planning on getting a Micra then an Eco tube so that I'd have a modular light able to use both kinds of batteries. Other websites may have stock left, but once they run out, is that it?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I hope the Eco tube is not discontinued. I was planning on picking one up myself.

Thanks for the reply,
Matt

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have a micra with clicky and I must say it would be fine for diving. No as much as the twisty but, I've tested, and those two O-rings seem to keep everything out.

-David

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I dropped my twisty cap micra in a 1m deep fish pond in our back yard and it was none the worse for wear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Doesn't really classify as diving, I know!

Denix

Newly Enlightened
During a recent fishing trip we went out for a night swim. I took my Micra twisty with me and swam for about 10 minutes. The whole time the light was turned on and was always fully immersed. Max depth was about 5 feet. No problems whatsoever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guy

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange, I suddenly have a "need" for a waterproof light. Hmmm...I always did think the Longbows were some of the coolest looking lights, too.....hmmmmm...

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I like my Longbow Micra with clickie so much that I just picked up a buddy for it: a Micra with a twistie. Now I have to get an Eco tube and a turbohead and a pocket clip and a...

Pick one up Trashman, you'll like it.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I probably will pick one up, although I'm heavily leaning toward an OD Mini (click model). I've always liked the look of these lights, but didn't really want to buy one because I prefer much brighter lights, but when Denix mentioned he swam with his for 10 minutes, I suddenly saw myself in a hotel swimming pool with a Longbow in hand. The power of suggestion sure sells a lot of lights!

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a way to get a micra tube?

I bought my longbow eco because it was waterproof, i didnt notice how nice of regulation it has untill after i bought it =)

I havent gone to far under water with it, but the twisty is more waterproof (200 ft?), than the clicky (50).