TerraLUX Reliability Question?

C4LED

Enlightened
Hello All,

Recently I purchased the TerraLUX TLE-5 MiniStar2 LED replacement for a Mini-M@g.

Does anyone know, or have experience with how reliable these are--especially under rough use conditions?

Thanks.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really really like the MS2 and have had 2 that have worked flawlessly. Actually one of my fave comercial mods [next to the Lambda MiniPro] is my silver 2AA MiniMag with a LDF lens and MS2.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine rides in my EDC bag every day, and has been subjected to quite a bit of abuse. No problems whatsoever.

greenLED

Flashaholic
My son uses it when camping. No problems so far. Back when these were released, there was concern about thermal issues on the long run. All I can say is ours is working well so far.

C4LED

Enlightened
Thanks Folks.

It seems a bit brighter than my UK 4aa eLED, which is a better light IMHO over all (for my uses), but the mini-m@g form is easier to keep in the pocket... The beam isn't great, but does the job. I'm sending one overseas to a friend who will beat it up and wanted to see what people thought.

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
C4LED,
The TLE-5 Ministar2 in a minim@g is one of my EDC lights. I wouldn't buy it again. First off, I cracked the low profile reflector simply by turning it off while I was having a bad day at work. This happened after owning it a few months. Bad design, IMHO. I ended up superglueing the reflector back together. Secondly, the beam has ugly ring artifacts--just like a regular minim@g. I fixed the ugly beam by putting scotch tape on the inside of the lens--a tip I learned here from CPF. With the scotch tape on, the beam has fewer artifacts, but the throw is reduced. So what I end up with is a light that seems just as bright as my Opalec Newbeam, but with less than half the runtime as the Newbeam. My $.02, go with a Newbeam instead--very robust and now very inexpensive.

And, hello All! First post, long time lurker. A great community here.

-Frank

C4LED

Enlightened
CostcoAAcells - Thanks! I noted that the instructions said don't turn it too tight... which made me worry a bit. It seems good for general use, but I think I'll have to send my friend something else.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I think that the Ministar 2 is a good hassle free conversion. Granted the beam isn't perfect but IMHO it's miles better than the standard Minimag incandescent beam and does throw quite well. The issue of not over tightening the bezel makes it less than Grunt proof but then if it's used by its original owner this normally isn't an issue.

I have 2 Opalecs' but feel that the Ministar does provide a good compromise between cost and performance. Would I buy another? Well since I've used MJLED's probably not but I dont think that it is the point, The Ministar is IMHO a reliable and reasonably good performer.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
C4LED-

I have the MiniStar 2 installed. I agree with other comments about beam quality-nice bright center with major ringy artifacts. The Scotch tape trick-(satin giftwrap seems to work best) helps. I use an SF F04 beamshaper because I already have a couple.

Best thing to add is a Kroll tailcap clickie switch. Then just adjust the head end for your best focus/beam quality and leave it.

You end up withy a nice, bright reliable light but also a pretty expensive Minimag.

Mark

AuroraLite

Enlightened
C4led,

I too got 2 Terralux TLE5 when I first started using drop in for my Minimags, and I thought it did have a far better performance than the stock minimags for mass produced Led replacement.

But if reliability is an issue and with the current prices, then I would recommend something like MM lite Lux I RY0J from Shoppe since it will give a much better beam and better performance(though the runtime is shorten, but the tradeoff and better regulation is well worth it, IMHO). And the design would be even more robust than the TLE5.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've had direct experience with a Ministar2 failing after I lent the light to some friends who turned it off too hard. I think the pressure on the little circuit board must have broke something internally. I've a number of other terralux modules which get used all the time (by me, being careful turning them off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and they're very reliable. To be fair, terralux warn on the pack not to turn off the maglight too hard, perhaps I should've shown my mates.

The other thing I've noticed is that the drop in reflectors are a bit flimsy, and crack after a while.

Apart from the physical ussies, I think the modules look like they're well constructed and electronically tough.

C4LED

Enlightened
Happy 4th Everyone!

Here's an update. I used the light for a walk two nights ago. It doesn't have the kick that the Q3 has, but was a pretty good walking light w/rechargables and it was nice not having to worry about the bulb as it's LED. The tape suggestion is good, but I don't want to lose the extra throw when I walk at night. Another thought about this... it's easy to turn on and off w/one hand when cars approach.

Anyone have plans to user their lights tonight? Be careful walking back and forth to the displays tonight... Bring lots of lights! ;-)