Woo hoo! Power outage last night. (long)

LightHearted

Enlightened
Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far for us here in Fresno, CA. The news said the high was 101, but my digital thermometer read 104 on my patio. I suspect that home AC usage was also at a high for the year and was taxing the power grid. I was at Wal-Mart at around 8:30 pm when the lights went out. The store's emergency lights came on instantly, but some of the isles were still pretty dark. The first light I reached for was the only one I had on me, my Inova MicroLight. This thing rarely gets used, so the batteries were still fresh enough to produce a very bright light. I was easily able to see items on the top shelves and even read prices without too much trouble. Since it didn't look like the power was going to come back on right away, I used my Micro Light to navigate the store and put back all the items I had planned to purchase. In a big dark building, a single 5mm LED sure can draw a lot of attention. I got a few (jealous?) stares from people who obviously wished they had thought to carry such a useful little toy on their key chains too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif People were in very good spirits. They seemed to be more amused by the novelty of the situation than viewing it as a frustrating inconvenience. I saw one guy using his cell phone as a light to continue his shopping. I thought that was a great idea, although I guess he didn't realize that without power he wasn't going to be able to check out.

After a few minutes of enjoying my peripatetic adventure, I saw a Wal-Mart employee instructing people to leave the store. She had a flashlight that resembled a typical cheap 2c Rayovac with nearly dead batteries. Man, how I wished I had my QIII with smooth 20mm IMS reflector, mineral glass lens, and R123 to really show her up. I suspect it would have probably drawn a lot more attention than the little Inova, had I been using that little pocket monster instead.

People filed out of the store in an orderly manner. With the emergency lights on there wasn't really much need for my MicroLight other than to show off, which I did of course. Once out of the store I saw that the lights were off for a good mile or so to the west and as far as I could see to the east. This was a pretty big event. Back in my car I searched through my glove box to see what my options were. There was a Princeton Tec Surge, Princeton Tec Rage, Infinity Ultra and a couple different color Photons. I put the Rage and Infinity Ultra in my pockets and headed home.

When I got home the power was still out, so I started looking for longer running light sources. The first light I picked up was my PT EOS headlamp. I knew I it would give me something like 40 hours of wonderfully regulated Luxeon output on low if I needed it. This also gave me two hands free to install freshly charged Ni-MHs in my Dorcy 4AA lantern with XPR103 bulb. It makes a very nice white light and easily hangs from a ceiling fan to illuminate a room. I found my QIII, put in a fresh R123 and replaced the Rage in my pocket with it. Now, I was set. I had a long running headlamp combined with near (Infinity Ultra) and far (modded QIII) illumination on my person. I then took a break and enjoyed a bowl of black cherry ice cream to escape the near 90 degree temperatures in my house. I also got a chance to test my fairly new APC UPS. My computer fired up and gave me plenty of run time to check my email and read the latest news. It was good thinking to plug my cordless phone into the UPS for times like this as well.

I then checked on my neighbor across the street and had a nice chat with her on the tailgate of her truck while shining my QIII up and down the block keeping an eye on the neighborhood. I asked her if she needed a flashlight, but she said she was fine. She had several candles going in the house. She did comment on the brightness of my "little flashlight." I gave her a brief explanation of my modifications to it, and she laughed. She knows I'm a geek. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif There was a decently cool breeze blowing by that time, so she brought us out a couple drinks and we chatted for a while longer. Since we both had to get up early, we decided to call it a night. I went home and enjoyed doing some reading by my headlamp all the time thinking, "Yep, these are the times flashoholics live for." I fell asleep reading in bed. The power came back on about 2:30 am. I woke briefly and went back to sleep with a smile on my face.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Certainly a feeling of "security" being prepared eh?!! Thanks for posting that and glad it turned out in a good way!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful story... in the blink of an eye all that we spend on lights can be justified in the eyes of those who do not believe as we do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This is also why I carry the big guns as EDC. Nothing chops up the night like a LuxV in a deep reflector!

Recently I was visiting two friends at their hotel and it had one of those energy saving devices whereby removing your room's keycard from the reader turns off the lights after 30 seconds. One of them pulled it out while the two of us were still inside, plunging us into complete darkness that lasted no more than a second as I learned just how fast I could draw the U2 by instinct alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That same night, we were looking for an AC socket and we disconnected one of the lights by pulling the cord. Unfortunately that part of the room was in shadow, there were other lights on, but we couldn't find the AC socket in the dark.. well, not for long either, out comes the U2 again.

Investment justified /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif and even I never thought I would need it!

lighthearted, what you need now is a variable power light - that way your primary light source can be both an ultra bright and ultra long runtime light.

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:lighthearted, what you need now is a variable power light - that way your primary light source can be both an ultra bright and ultra long runtime light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right you are. In fact, that has been on my mind lately. I'm thinking about a 2 stage switch mod for the QIII. Any other economically viable ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're not an LED purist, the Twin Task 2L is still a good practical choice for a two level light with a bright "high" level.

Amorphous

Enlightened
Lighthearted,

Wonderful story!

I was looking to do similar mods and found this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=965671&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

CGPeanut is selling this nice alternative circuit (POP2) that gives one the ability to switch between fixed high, adjustable lows, and strobe. Once can simply replaced the QIII circuit with POP2 and he/she will have a very useful light. The cost is very reasonable for what it can do.

I have upgraded my Jil 1.3, QIII, and ARC-LS with the POP2 circuit.

Have fun.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the entire POP2 thread (all 20 pages of it) and couldn't find a price. How much are the boards (only) going for?

Bradlee

Enlightened
Great story! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif That's really annoying when you know you have just the right light for the task (e.g. QIII) but don't have it on you.

-Brad

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
GREAT story, Most if not all of us wish for things like that. I myself never leave the house without the basics. my wallet, keys, mini m/\g with a Li-ION driving a 26kmcd cut down resistored to 24mA (nicely bright and runtime should be at least 20hrs.), my solitaire with a LUX I and a 14400 Li-ion limited to about 200mA, and sometimes my dorcy AAA Li-ION with a CREE UV (hey you never know when you may have to check out a crime scene). I dont know why I carry all these lights, I have never needed them outside the house yet, but like I said, YA NEVER KNOW.
Jeff

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks amorphous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif most of the prices I've seen refer to completely assembled units though, I was wondering if I could get just the board, like the Sandwich shoppe sells converters by themselves. Oh well, not a big issue, I'll probably check out what the Shoppe has.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this story I have been EDC this light. It is a Nitestar 3 Watt Luxeon, that uses 2 CR123A Batteries.

The beam used to have a puke, urine green color to it. " The Former Mag User (Danny) " volunteered to change out the Luxeon for me at no cost.

Now I have very white tint to the light.

Thanks Danny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

--------------------------

4 3/4" Long

dsc007106mv.jpg

dsc007136rv.jpg

Taken at 7 1/2"

dsc007120no.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting