What The Heck Is Wrong With FireFox?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to reading some past threads concerning FireFox being a better Net browser, I downloaded it. It seemed to work a little better than MS's Netscape but with problems all it's own.

I asked this question in the other threads concerning FireFox but no one responded. What's up with this "session has timed out" curse that comes with FireFox? Too frequently, if a page loads slowly, a pop-up screen informs you that your session has timed out and it just cuts you off and stops downloading.

If this is common with FireFox, (and I never experienced this with Netscape), then you can have FireFox! Does anyone else have this problem with FireFox and is there any way to stop it?

drizzle

Enlightened
Never seen that one.

The only real problem I have with Firefox is that sometimes it leaves an orphan process around after I close the browser.

You say MS Netscape, do you mean Internet Explorer? Firefox is actually derived from Netscape.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you drizzle. Yes, of course I meant IE. Thanks for the correction. The "your session has timed out" is something I've never seen except on incripted sites like PayPal or bank accounts. It's too weird. Just goes to show that what works for someone, might not work for another.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Session timeouts are very rare for me too... Usually only after a website has not responded, at all, for 1/2-several minutes.

With CPF, I have pages that have taken three minutes or more to load (not often). Usually, 10-69 seconds and never a session timeout that I can remember.

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Session timeouts on encrypted sites are usually based on a cookie placed on your machine where they want to "timeout" your session after (as an example) 5 minutes of no activity.

This helps prevent somebody taking over your account if you walk away from your computer and forget to logout.

I guess, if you have a slow computer/link and a very small timeout window (say 1.5 minutes to load a page and a 2 minute inactivity timer) you could get a bit frustrated.

CPF also has a login cookie--but it is set to never expire (or only after many months/years of non-use).

It is possible, if you have multiple windows (or browsers) opened against one "login"--that the host may kick you off as having too many logins or, what is thought to be, one account logged in from more than one machine (not usually a good thing--This happened to me with a banking acount where I had FireFox open and then tried IE because I needed an activeX based function).

-Bill

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,
Thank you and I understand what you're saying but why would downloading FF suddenly cause all the sites that I peruse to have timed sessions? Something's not right and it must be FF.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
I found this fix for FF timeouts on slow servers:

For firefox and mozilla browser's timeout problem, try adjusting these values by typing this about:config in the url input field:

network.http.request.timeout (default = 120) try increase to 1200
network.http.connect.timeout (default = 30) try 300

note: double click to enter value

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,

Nothing that I can think of off-hand. I have seen directories get so large, that the filesystem has difficulty picking up a particular file in a timely manner.

You could try flushing your caches, cookies, temp space, etc. and see if you got a configuration/cookie that is causing you problems.

Make sure that you know all of the "static" logins for various sites (like CPF) that will be blown away when you do this.

One other thing you might check (before you do above)--I have issues with one site and FireFox with cookies.

Normally, I lock down FireFox and don't allow cookies. However for some sites (like CPF) and other sites (banking) you will need to allow cookies--and sometimes those cookie names/types change over time (programmig upgrades) or they get corrupted (happened to me with CPF--weird login problems).

So--make sure you allow cookies when you visit a site like PayPal--and check your "Exceptions" to make sure that you have not disallowed some type of cookies for PayPal.

And/or you may want to delete all of your PayPal cookies in FireFox and try again (fixed CPF login for me a couple of times).

Also, with the one login-site I continue to have problems with--I just have to allow all cookies when I am on that site--I don't get any new cookies--but somehow, FireFox and that site just don't talk right when I have deny new cookies turned on.

I am not sure if FireFox and IE share cookies. That may muck things up too.

-Bill

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
Due to reading some past threads concerning FireFox being a better Net browser, I downloaded it. It seemed to work a little better than MS's Netscape but with problems all it's own.

I asked this question in the other threads concerning FireFox but no one responded. What's up with this "session has timed out" curse that comes with FireFox? Too frequently, if a page loads slowly, a pop-up screen informs you that your session has timed out and it just cuts you off and stops downloading.

If this is common with FireFox, (and I never experienced this with Netscape), then you can have FireFox! Does anyone else have this problem with FireFox and is there any way to stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if you are on cable or dialup network....

To make Loading of pages faster.. i tried one Cable Internet Service... I had this same problem with both IE & Firefox... after much trouble shooting... i found out that the Cable internet Service provider was blocking multiple streams it allowed only 3 streams at one time. that was the day when i disconnected the trial Cable Internet service.

Cable service providers at times, to save on resources, do this very often. never been a problem with dialup though.

Rebus

Enlightened
I was using FireFox just fine untill the last
upgrade. After that I could not read my net-mail
on aol.com. I tried internet explorer and it worked
fine.

-Rebus

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on dial-up ViReN. The "timed out" sessions are a major headache. After trying FF now for awhile, and with it's glitches, it really is no better than IE and it seems slower the more I use it.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got sick of FF and it became so slow, I uninstalled it. Now I can't use my shortcuts and some other stuff. How can I get back all the stuff I had on IE before I installed FF? What a journey this was ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Latest posts