LRI Proton prototype 60 lumens with 1 AA (Pt 2)

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Chanik, definately sell a version with 5mm LED's with a single red or green LED. I am serving in the Middle East right now, and the Proton as described thus far, is perfect for my needs. I drive heavily armed small boats and I need the ability to read navigation charts at night, and being able to choose between dimmed white light or red light is fantastic. If there is a short production run of the 5mm LED Protons, I would very much like to buy one. I can have it sent to my wife who can forward it to my unit.

Adam

ChrisA

Enlightened
Re: LRI Proton prototype 60 lumens with 1 AA (Pt 2

i forgot to think first before writing a post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

chanik

Newly Enlightened

SHOT demo was February of this year.

ChrisA

Enlightened

whoa, i thought i read about that light on equipped.com shot 2004 report, so my fault. anyway, anticipation is killing me, so i got two hds in the meantime and may not need the proton anymore... it's just taking too long...

chris

linerlock

Newly Enlightened

Whoa, take it easy ChrisA. We are all frustrated by the delay in getting the Proton to market but there is no need to take these frustrations out on Chanik. He has been kind enough to give CPF members the inside scoop on this exciting new project. Few companies are as open with the public about these internal matters as LRI is and we should respond with constructive feedback and genuine appreciation, not snide comments about the delay in launching the product.

Based on what I know about LRI, they will make the Proton available when they feel it is ready (kinks worked out) AND when they have secured a reliable stream of critical components (LED's, IC's, etc...). To lauch a product before these conditions are met is simply irresponsible and I applaud LRI for not rushing the Proton to market before it is ready.

Patienly awaiting my Proton,
linerlock

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisA said:
[ QUOTE ]
Give us another month. It's all small stuff but it's holding us up.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif gee, i mean, that d*mn thing is taking over a year now (since functional prototype shown at shot 2004)... how many more 'give us another month' shall we hear ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif imho - that's a bad joke...

chris

[/ QUOTE ]

ChrisA

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Patienly awaiting my Proton

[/ QUOTE ]

linerlock, you're a better man than i am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

@chanik: this was not meant to be personal and i really appreciate you're posting here. i just read that the light is further delayed and needed to vent... sorry again. good luck and i hope you're getting the small stuff worked out in time.

chris

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chanik, can you tell us if the production model is going to be like the prototype with the single 60 lumen LED, or will the cluster LED model be the final result?

chanik

Newly Enlightened

The first ones will be clusters of U grade Nichias. The new Luxeons or the fixed up Jupiters are likely next as soon as they can beat 50Lm/W

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know I said it before, but it was burried somewhere in some deep dark post:

Based on the descriptions of the light, I'd like to requeust there be a version without the red LED for ultra-low. I am really interested in a white-only light.

Thanks!

-john

bananas

Newly Enlightened

Man u sound like me ive been waiting for a while for the proton. I got so inpatient I went out and bought an hds ultimate 60, oh well patients is a virtue God didnt bless me with. If I keep going like this spending big bucks on my addiction (woops I mean hobby)ill have no money and even less sense (woops I mean cents)he he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Waiting is part of the game for LED lights

A few examples:

Inova T4 original release date summer 04
release date spring 05

Peak AA and AAA single cell luxeons
Original release date fall 04
release date AA summer 05
AAA release date ???????

Surefire lights are usually delayed... Elektrolumens lights are usually delayed etc, etc, etc....

In the CPU industry it is called a "paper launch" or "vaporware" and since we are dealing with electronics, delays are part of the game. The good part is when vaporware becomes hardware, the next big paper launch is hitting so we wait and save money! I have not purchased any flashlights since late Sept 2004 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The time spent waiting around is best used to build mods... my nFlex WX1S 8AA Mag was complete in March 2005. I am waiting for the Jupiter or Luxeon K2 SWAH Proton to arrive... maybe I should pick up a few Arc AAAs Rev4 while I wait. If I don't buy a new light for a year, won't I get kicked out of the CPF? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

chanik (or anyone)-

Are the U-grade Nichias Nichia CS? (i don't know enough about them to know if the latter part is understood.)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chanik said:
The first ones will be clusters of U grade Nichias. The new Luxeons or the fixed up Jupiters are likely next as soon as they can beat 50Lm/W

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for the update. I'd also be interested to know if we are looking at a similar runtime and price with the cluster model as with the single LED model?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened

any update on when this will be availible?
thanks for any replies.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I second offroad,
Any clue on when this thing will be available???? June, then July and now ???? September 2005 maybe sometime in 2006? I checked the LRI Photon site and the last post was early last month. No reply to when either the 6 led white/1 led red or Jupiter/2 led red will become available.
Are there problems with the 5mm LED version or did the 50+ lumen Jupiters finally come in? This light somehow fell off the planet.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe they just don't want to go with Nichia's. I was doing some comparison testing (naked eye only) with my Nichia CS modified Eternalight and my original KL1 low dome on an E1 body. Probably the modified Eternalight wins in total lumens but the KL1 throws a lot further and still gives a fairly wide beam. I guess it depends on your lighting needs. If I was inside a tent, I would prefer the eternalight but definitely would want the KL1 for outside walking. Maybe LRI really liked the original Jupiter beam compared to that of the Nichias.